Is it time for a new coach?

gAUlf

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have a problem with Jay Jacobs... but thats just me

I have a problem with him...

"Citing the handling of the football coaching search, the resignation of champion swimming coach David Marsh, the stagnation of the Auburn basketball program and the decline in the Auburn baseball program, many people have begun calling for Jacobs' resignation or release.  Under Jacobs' direction in 2008, the Auburn Athletic Department hit what has been dubbed as a "dreaded trifecta" by failing to have either its baseball, basketball, or football teams qualify for post season play."

At the moment, it looks like the Chizik hiring was a good thing.  I am hoping they continue to build on what they have accomplished.  I don't think Jacobs is the man for the job.  I think someone who is not connected with AU should be brought in to make winners of all our sports.

I have seen two sides to all these stories... one I see an article that bashes him to death, and then I see these heartwarming tales of what a true Auburn man he is.

The only thing that I can go by is this: I work at home depot and have personally helped Jay Jacobs several times and hes been one of the nicest customers we have had. He is really cool.

now what does that tell me about his decision making in hiring coaches? not much.

but then again I dont have much to go by anyway.

I definitely don't want to open up a can of worms here but I guarantee you that Jay Jacobs is a great guy that has Auburn's best interest at heart.  Does he make mistakes?  Yeah, as does everyone.  He's been doing a pretty solid job of late, though.

I definitely don't want to open up a can of worms here but I guarantee you that Jay Jacobs is a great guy that has Auburn's best interest at heart.  Does he make mistakes?  Yeah, as does everyone.  He's been doing a pretty solid job of late, though.

Judging by the Chizik hiring and all that Chizik has brought in as assistants, I have to say he is getting better.  I am not doubting that Jacobs has Auburn's best interest at heart, (mainly in Football), but that doesn't always mean a person has the ability to get the job done.  I honestly do not think anyone in the Athletic Dept. really cares about the Basketball program.  (I know, a brand new arena says differently...I just have not seen anything to make me think Jacobs cares what the BB program does.)  I could be completely wrong...this is just the feeling I get.

:dunno:

I think Lebo should be replaced but at the end of the season.  He just hasn't worked out.  After six years there is the same inconsistent play.  No free throw shooting and no offense other than having guys throw up threes.

The thing that concerns me is based on past history we don't seem to want to pay the big bucks to get a top flight coach.  If we don't make the committment necessary to get a name coach rather than a virtual unknown that would tell me we are willing to still take risks on a coach as opposed to gettng a proven winner.  I find that unacceptable.

lebo needs to go. he is the worst coach in the sec. unfortunately the guys saved his job last year. we could have gotten grant but instead bama snatched him up

The thing that concerns me is based on past history we don't seem to want to pay the big bucks to get a top flight coach.  If we don't make the committment necessary to get a name coach rather than a virtual unknown that would tell me we are willing to still take risks on a coach as opposed to gettng a proven winner.  I find that unacceptable.

I completely agree. I will admit that I dont place near as much importance on basketball as I do football and I dont want Auburn to break itself over basketball. Now that being said, Auburn easily has the ability pay for a good coach. It all goes down to how little the athletic department actually cares about basketball. Sure, we're getting a new arena, but its smaller than BEMC which shows that Jacobs has little confidence or concern about the future for Auburn bball. So far we have mentioned Alford, Anderson, Capel, and Turgeon all coaches that Auburn could get if we'll pay some money. Capel I think will be harder to pry loose but the others Auburn can pull if the athletic department will commit more to basketball.

Those are good points... Im not going to argue with any of them.

I will wait and see how the team finishes off the year before making my final statement about lebo going or staying.

I want to have faith that they can turn it around, and if they don't then Lebo could be in trouble

Anything worse than 8-8 in conference gets him fired this year imo. We will most likely go like 4-12, so I am saying he is gone. Auburn spent too much money on that arena for the team to be a flop. They will go get some new blood that will hopefully put butts in the seats.

They should have hired Mike Anderson from UAB instead of letting him go to Mizzou because he really wanted that Auburn job and i know i went to plenty of UAB games where they had a packed crowd with not much talent but their style of play was awesome and they played GREAT as a team!

They should have hired Mike Anderson from UAB instead of letting him go to Mizzou because he really wanted that Auburn job and i know i went to plenty of UAB games where they had a packed crowd with not much talent but their style of play was awesome and they played GREAT as a team!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

The guys are on a three game win streak with GA Southern coming up.  Conference play starts next weekend.  A little confidence going into the conference schedule can't hurt.  Let's hope Lebo can make a run like he did last year in the conference.   

my uneducated hypothesis... lebo hangs around next year because the administration wants to see if the new facility will bring fans to the game (it will).  However, Jacobs will fire Lebo if the team lays an egg this conference season. 

Archived