Auburn Fight Song

I really want our fight song on the game..

I found out some information..

A women owns the rights 2 it....

She lives in New York.. I tried to call yesterday to talk with her about getting to use the fight song on the game.. no answer.. I left a message though..

Here are some links and info:

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/univr...0wareagle2.html

NOTED COMPOSER WAS PROUD OF HIS 'WAR EAGLE' FIGHT SONG

AUBURN -- In his later years, Robert Allen would occasionally walk over to a shelf in his living room and listen to the melody that spilled from an old music box. The music box was in the shape of a football and so old that part of the ear of a tiny Tiger on the front of it had broken off.

The music it played was "War Eagle," Auburn University's fight song.

"He was very proud of that song," said Patty Allen, the widow of the famous composer who teamed with Al Stillman to compose "War Eagle" and such classics as Johnny Mathis' "Chances Are" and "Home for the Holidays," recorded by singers ranging from Andy Williams to Garth Brooks.

"He would watch the Auburn games on television just to hear it played and that music box that the people at Auburn sent to him meant so much to him," said Mrs. Allen.

Allen died of cancer on Oct. 1 at his home in Quogue, N.Y. He was 73. In addition to his wife, Allen is survived by four children, his mother, a sister and three grandchildren. The family requested that, in lieu of expressions of sympathy such as flowers, charitable contributions be made to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Surgery, 1275 York Ave., New York, N.Y., 10021.

In the 1950s Newsweek magazine called Allen America's "most popular songwriter." His compositions have sold more than 500 million recordings by such stars as Mathis, Brooks, Williams, The Four Lads, Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Billie Holiday, Doris Day and many others.

Allen began writing music in 1952. It was two years after that prominent Auburn alumnus Roy B. Sewell sought out what he considered the best of the big-city songwriters -- Allen and Stillman -- and commissioned them to write a song "to express the spirit which has sparked the Tigers' amazing football comeback."

Sewell, who called it "a peach of song," presented it as a gift to the Auburn Alumni Association.

Hubert Liverman, who was head of the Auburn music department from 1951-1967 and put together the first arrangement of "War Eagle" for the Auburn Marching Band, remembers when he first played the song.

"I was on a committee of some nature examining the song and I went to (then-Auburn President Ralph Brown Draughon's) office and he called several people in and I played it on the piano for them," said Liverman, now retired and living in Hendersonville, N.C. "They asked my opinion and I told them that it was very, very good -- extremely good -- and that we ought to use it."

After Liverman completed the arrangement for the band, the Auburn Marching Band, directed by Dave Herbert, played it for the first time at a football game when Auburn hosted Chattanooga on Sept. 24, 1955.

"It was a good song," recalled Herbert, who was director of bands at Auburn from 1948 through 1955. "It replaced 'Auburn Victory March' that we used to play a lot, but sort of faded out after 'War Eagle.' We recognized that 'War Eagle' was a good fight song for Auburn and we played it regularly after that."

For Robert Allen -- a man of such acclaim -- "War Eagle" would seem to be of little significance.

Not so, says Patty Allen.

"He really loved it and was proud of it right up until his death," she said. "I don't know if it was because it was so different from the other things he'd done, but he was very proud of having written that song.

"He was a very talented man. His songs were very different and he wrote for a phenomenal array of performers of different styles. He will be missed, but his music will be with us forever. It will always be alive."

And never more so than when the Auburn University Marching Band takes the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium and more than 85,000 adoring fans rise to clap in rhythm to Robert Allen's "War Eagle."

To obtain permission to use the War Eagle Fight Song, contact:

Patty Allen

Charlie Deitcher Productions, Inc.

P.O. Box 487

Quogue, NY 11959

Phone: 631-653-4223

fax: 631-653-6111

some info from autigers..

"War Eagle" (words, Al Stillman; music Robert Allen) was originally commissioned by Roy Sewall in 1954. As a work for hire, the words and music became Sewall's property when the song was copyrighted on August 19, 1955. Sewall promptly donated the rights to the Auburn Alumni Association.

According to the law at the time, the copyright of works, unless renewed, expired in the 28th year. Since the Alumni Association neglected to renew "War Eagle", the copyright reverted to the families of the original authors in 1983. Both Robert Allen and the widow of Al Stillman quickly renewed those copyrights, which under the terms of the Copyright Act of 1976 would last for an additional 47 years, until August 19, 2030.

In 1998, Congress passed the "Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act" which extended all existing copyrights by 20 years. As such, if no further extensions of copyrights are made, the rights to "War Eagle" will revert to the public domain in August of 2050.

this is nothing new TU. Auburn has never had the rights to the song and as long as she is and any of the children are alive it will remain that way.... Auburn petition to get the rights to the song soon after he died but failed in its attempt....

Yeah.. Here is what I heard:

I heard that the copyright was out of date right after he died and she rushed and made sure to keep it in her family..

Yeah I know this has been an issue for a while but I'm just trying to get ea sports the permission to use the fight song in the game.. I'm sure she'll say no..

It won't hurt to try..

WAR EAGLE

without Auburn having the copyright EA Sports will never have the copyright to use it on their games. Hate to spoil your efforts but youare seriously wasting your time

you know what they should do. they should put in a music editor like a cell phone has. it wouldn't be the full band or anything, but then you could play whatever you want. auburn fans could put the song on there like i've heard on phones. that would be a great loophole to our lack of copyright.

I know one year (maybe 96 or 97) it was "in the game". It was a little off, but definitely in the game. I wonder if they allowed it one year or if EA just did it without permission.

I know one year (maybe 96 or 97) it was "in the game". It was a little off, but definitely in the game. I wonder if they allowed it one year or if EA just did it without permission.

I dunno man.. I just wish I could hear it when I score a td.

The show that the band did last year at halftime of the Miss. St. game, which was made up entirely of Robert Allen songs, was done because Patty Allen was supposed to be at the game. University officials paid for her ticket/accomodations/etc. to the game, and had been in talks with her about someday soon purchasing the rights to the song. As it turned out, she couldn't make it to the game, but they did send her the tape of the halftime show and she said she was touched. Though we obviously don't have the rights yet, apparently we have had some of the most positive talks yet with her lately, and we may be on track to getting the rights in the near future. What I don't understand is why she would want to keep the rights to it. Surely she realizes how much it means to all of us. I don't care that her husband composed it, that song belongs as much to the Auburn family as it does to her; WE DESERVE TO OWN OUR SONG.

umm she is making royalty money off it lol i might keep the rights too lol

umm she is making royalty money off it lol i might keep the rights too lol

I doubt she's making much, if any, royalty money off it. She's not allowing anyone to use it, so how can she make any $ from it?

If America hadn't let Hollywood (RIAA & MPAA) keep extending copyright laws, this wouldn't be a problem. It does nothing but stifle innovation. There is a reason things become public domain after so many years, SO YOU HAVE TO INVENT MORE. ugh...

Yes, I agree with all of you. Even I get tired of hearing "I've Been Working on the Railroad" when I play AU. (Which is exactly who everyone I play here in AU picks, lol)

It was funny, however, when an SGA president (Mconnel?) used this issue as one of his platform topics, lol.

The woman finally called me back.. I am going to get in touch with ea sports and then fax the woman the information..

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

The woman finally called me back.. I am going to get in touch with ea sports and then fax the woman the information..

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

Are you saying that the reason it's not on there is because NO ONE EVER ASKED?!?!?!?!? OMG! ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

Are you saying that the reason it's not on there is because NO ONE EVER ASKED?!?!?!?!? OMG! ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I guess so.. The ncaa only puts fight songs that are owned by the university...

I hope I can get Auburn's on there..

Archived