Lebo = bad coach completely incapable of in-game adjustments

BHDAU1

I mean really.....  How many uncontested dunks and layups can one team make on another in division 1 basketball? I think we might have seen a new record tonight in the Florida game.  Once again Lebo's lack of coaching skill on display nationally.  A observer that knows anything about basketball would think that the coach would make some adjustments to slow it down by the 10 minute mark of the 1st half, or worst case at halftime; but what does Lebo do? Absolutely NOTHING!  If anything it got worse in the second half.  Knox and Waller did their best impressions of the invisible man thru the entire game and Reed does his normal jungle ball routine resulting in turnovers and lost points.  The only bright spot was Sullivan, hopefully he wont transfer out before next season.  Our offense was terrible(except Sullivan), our defense was non existent and terrible, and the coaching display was downright pathetic.  The only player I will miss next year is Waller and tonights game even tarnished that a little.  I would have thought that being as it was likely his last organized basketball game ever he wouldve played better.  I would have thought that if his shot wasnt falling he wouldve contributed in other ways; layups, assists, rebounds, steals, etc. and he didnt do anything. He wasnt even trying to get the ball or look for a shot and actually hurt AU on defense from lack of effort.  If I didnt know better it was like he had slipped himself a roofie before the game.

I HOPE AND PRAY THIS IS THE LAST GAME I HAVE TO WATCH WITH LEBO AS THE COACH. Guys and gals, there is no getting around it, Lebo DOES NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES, not even close.  Nice guy for sure, but he is terrible at coaching basketball at this level.  Another losing season to add to the books.  Did anyone else see that factoid that no coach EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE SEC has coached 6 straight years and not made the NCAA tourney a single time till Lebo accomplished that feat today.  WOW, we have reached a very low point in Auburn history as far as AU basketball goes. 

The scary part is Auburn is going to be even worse next year unless JJ pulls his head out of his butt and hires a popular coach that can bring in some freshman difference makers.  Look what UK did with freshman.... Now I know we arent getting any John Walls or Demarcus Cousins anytime soon no matter who is hired that we could actually get, but we could certainly find a couple 4 star guys that could compete next year and make the team competitive.  We need to try and get Travis Ford ASAP.  I am 100% confident that he could do it and we would be in the hunt for a tourney bid next year if he is hired SOON.  If we dont find someone quickly it isnt going to matter who we hire as far as next season goes, we will be bad again.  Speed is going to be key if Lebo gets canned.  He better freakin get canned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree.  UF was a better team than us and we still played it close.  The problem at AU is we had one of the worst basketball arenas in the SEC which has kept us from getting good recruits.  Lebo is a good fundamentals coach and with Auburn Arena we will be better in the next couple of years.  Just my two cents but I don't think we can get anyone better than Lebo.  Flame away....

I disagree.  UF was a better team than us and we still played it close.  The problem at AU is we had one of the worst basketball arenas in the SEC which has kept us from getting good recruits.  Lebo is a good fundamentals coach and with Auburn Arena we will be better in the next couple of years.  Just my two cents but I don't think we can get anyone better than Lebo.  Flame away....

Trust me, BEMC was NOT the reason we didn't recruit well... thats the least of our problems in recruiting. If you're good enough at recruiting you could get players to play in an elementary school gym... Athletes go to the school to play for the coach (majority of the time)

I believe BEMC has played a part in our recruiting and the new arena will help, but that is far from the most important thing on recruit's mind. They want to play at a school where they can win and play in the big dance, they want to play for a good coach who they respect, and they want to play at a school that supports their bball program and where the students really get behind them. We have neither. If we find a good coach, then we win and make the dance and we'll have the support we used to.

you couldn't be more wrong on the arena. Of course it has a lot to do with recruiting. It may actually be the single most important factor. No one on here can say Lebo did a poor job of coaching tonight. The bottom line is that Fl is way more talented. You know how they got where they are? They built a state of the art facility, which in turn attracted top talent. I'm not comparing Lebo to Billy boy because you can't. One guy took over a program in shambles with what has been rated the worst facilities in the country.

Guest War Eagle 29

No flame here my friend, but BEMC with all of its limitations did not keep Sonny Smith and/or Cliff Ellis from winning the SEC Tourney, winning the SEC Championship and going to the "Big Dance" and advancing as far as the Elite 8. It is time for the hapless Jeff Lebo to go.

you couldn't be more wrong on the arena. Of course it has a lot to do with recruiting. It may actually be the single most important factor. No one on here can say Lebo did a poor job of coaching tonight. The bottom line is that Fl is way more talented. You know how they got where they are? They built a state of the art facility, which in turn attracted top talent. I'm not comparing Lebo to Billy boy because you can't. One guy took over a program in shambles with what has been rated the worst facilities in the country.

Look at Florida's coach before you even think about looking at facilities... Then look at Auburn's... That proves my point.

Donavon built his program with a starting five of ALL Americans from Across the US in ONE year (how he got them all is a good discussion (Brett Bearup) for later but he did it and got away with it).  Regardless AU had a better team with Porter and the guys and we went out and beat him handily that first year.  We then got big, powerfull AA Donnell Harvey from GA to commit and he mysteriously switched to FL when it came time to sign.  That was also classic Donavon recruiting those days.  That team went to the final four.

IMO the big difference was that when they were on top, the FL administration made a major commitment to basketball and built on the momentum that Bill D. had created.  They built the arena and made hoops a priority.  AU stood pat and did nothing at a time when every AA player int he country new who Auburn was and wanted to play the style ball we were bringing.  Being a marketing guy with a major ad agency, I spoke with the Athletic department (DH) about how to improve the marketing of the program and they were completely deaf to any new ideas.  They said we are winning and that is enough.  To my shock, they did not make an effort to even get new sponsors, they only sold more corporate seats (that seldom were filled) and made no effort to create enthusiasm with the core fans unless you count the flying, coupon dropping blimp). 

We then had the Porter meltdown, fired CCE over the recruiting of a an AAU first team AA player; a life long Auburn fan who we quit recruiting after his Jr year (he went to start for that bastion of honest recruiting with Bob Huggins at Cinncy with absolutely no repercussions from NCAA).  As usually happens, we were put on probation anyway.  We hired Lebo, promised him a new facility and then waited (again three years too late) to get that done.  When it comes to basketball Auburn just is not willing to fight with the big boys and until we do, we will not excell.  Timing is everything folks and so far, at least in basketball, Au has failed miserably in that regard.

Here is hoping that the new arena brings a new attitude and new commitment to hoops.

War Eagle!

Trust me, BEMC was NOT the reason we didn't recruit well... thats the least of our problems in recruiting. If you're good enough at recruiting you could get players to play in an elementary school gym... Athletes go to the school to play for the coach (majority of the time)

I defiantly disagree on this one Westbrook. Great basketball players won't play in just anything. There are several big time programs that don't have a problem recruiting but the schools that don't have the prestige of others MUST have other things that the recruits like. We didn't have a great place to play, we didn't have a practice facility and we don't have a fan base that loves basketball. There are a lot of fans that say they love Auburn basketball when we are good but how many of those basketball fans still go to the football games when we are bad? More than likely all of them. If the fans would get behind whoever the coach is then we would play a lot better and win more games. The games that had the most attendance this year, we played the best.

Kentucky - 2 point loss

Alabama - 1 point win

Mississippi State - 9 point win

***The fact is all the intangibles matter when you are recruiting against big time programs.

*Fan Base

*Arena

*Practice Facility

Archived