Next Auburn Coach?

I wish I had paid more attention to what I heard earlier on the radio, but a caller on the Finebaum show,

who sounded like an Auburn man and someone in the know, mentioned a former NBA coach of the Toronto

Raptors, who is from Georgia and very close to Auburn, geographically speaking. He is a black man and not

only comes with great credentials, but he is looking to get into the college game and would be definately

interested in the Auburn job.  Can anyone out there help identify this individual based upon the info I've given?

The person you are referring to is Sam Mitchell. He played at Mercer and grew up in Columbus, Ga. Been mentioned in several other threads here. The reason you can't remember much is you were listening to Paul Pondscumb. Find something else to listen to and your brain will improve 100%.  :)

You're right on all accounts. I have since learned that it was indeed Sam Mitchell. Sounds very interesting if indeed

he is interested in Auburn. You're equally right about the Finebaum remark. I love sports, and it's a total shame

we have very limited resources to listen to in order to get our "sports fix". Just happened to hear this, and from

what I've seen, other than Barbee, seems to be an ideal candidate to pursue!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it will be interesting to see what we do now... I have no idea who will take the job.

whos brave enough? if they dont succeed everybody will call for his head just like lebo

Do you know of a school where a coach was unsuccessful and the fans called for them to stay?  Isn't it te nature of their job that they have to be successful to keep it?

You make it sound like Auburn is some horrible place because the fans didn't tolerate an unsuccessful coach.

I agree, everyone knows in a competitive market you get 5 years to make it or break it.  In my opinion Lebo was lucky to get his 6

Tubby Smith? Just throwin names around.

Why not Tubby?  He knows what it's like to run a big time program.  Then AU hires some some high profile assistants like Person.  Sure, he was fired from UK, but the head man at UK is equal to the head football coach at AU or UA, and, let's be honest, at AU, there would be a lot less pressure.  Heck...right now, I would be happy with just making the tourney.  Tubby can do that and I think he would be a good fit on the Plains.

tubby would be a great hire if we could get him.  u know he would love to beat ky with an auburn club.  he could easily dominate the west.  other than him bebee would be a great hire.  someone also mentioned that if we paid all that money for a new arena we would throw money at a good coach.  i agree. war eagle-! 

Why not Tubby?  He knows what it's like to run a big time program.  Then AU hires some some high profile assistants like Person.  Sure, he was fired from UK, but the head man at UK is equal to the head football coach at AU or UA, and, let's be honest, at AU, there would be a lot less pressure.  Heck...right now, I would be happy with just making the tourney.  Tubby can do that and I think he would be a good fit on the Plains.

I know he played at Alabama but Philip Pearson who is at Georgia as an assistant and is a very good recruiter would be a nice assistant as well. That has a good ring to it Coach Tubby with assistants Person and Pearson. Just a thought.

I know he played at Alabama but Philip Pearson who is at Georgia as an assistant and is a very good recruiter would be a nice assistant as well. That has a good ring to it Coach Tubby with assistants Person and Pearson. Just a thought.

Hmm...sounds eerily similar to the James Willis situation.      :dunno:  I'm just sayin.  His credentials are impressive enough...bring him on board.

Archived