What About Chris Collins, Duke Assistent and son of Doug Collins

Droxside

If We were to go after an assistant, he would be an interesting and potentially a great choice. Son of former NBA Head coach and all-star Doug Collins, he has done very well coaching the back court under coach K at Duke. We tried a North Carolina man why not Duke? Check out his BIO..

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152858

Cool post. THANKS FOR THE LINK. MY younger brother played D 3 basketball at NORTH PARK COLLEGE, and played with and against CC in summer camps and tourneys. My brother said that he had the look and feel of a coach even then. This would be an interesting and relatively youthful choice for AU HOOPS. WAR EAGLE!!!

I would be surprised if JJ were to even interview him. I don't imagine he is on JJ's so called "short list". Not saying he would or wouldn't be a good hire, just don't think he will be a guy Jacobs thinks about.

I had given some thought about him too. I know Jeff Capel was Coach K's right hand man and he went to Oklahoma and then Johnny Dawkins was and he left for Stanford. There are a couple of reasons for concern to me. For one, i know he is coming from Duke but i'm not sold on his appeal to potential recruits. To be one of the best, you have to recruit the best and i'm not sure he would be able to do that, i don't know. Second and most importantly, I'm not sure with us moving into a new arena and kinda down right now, that this job wouldn't be a little over his head right now. For someone who has never had head coaching experience, this job would present many issues he has never had to deal with before. Like building a program and expectations of that happening quickly with a new arena. With that said, he has a good pedigree personally and professionally and would be a very interesting choice. I'm just not sure if he would be ready to take a job like this just yet.

I had given some thought about him too. I know Jeff Capel was Coach K's right hand man and he went to Oklahoma and then Johnny Dawkins was and he left for Stanford. There are a couple of reasons for concern to me. For one, i know he is coming from Duke but i'm not sold on his appeal to potential recruits. To be one of the best, you have to recruit the best and i'm not sure he would be able to do that, i don't know. Second and most importantly, I'm not sure with us moving into a new arena and kinda down right now, that this job wouldn't be a little over his head right now. For someone who has never had head coaching experience, this job would present many issues he has never had to deal with before. Like building a program and expectations of that happening quickly with a new arena. With that said, he has a good pedigree personally and professionally and would be a very interesting choice. I'm just not sure if he would be ready to take a job like this just yet.

Well said...I think he brings a lot to the table and will make a top notch college coach, but he is young. After taking a chance on Lebo and with the new arena, I will be personally surprised if the next coach is not already a head coach and Black. I say black because of the pressure Jacobs is under after not hiring a black football coach. My top two choices are Drew and Barbee. I really think we should go hard after Drew as I have stated several times, but Barbee is a top notch coach and UTEP is a definite threat to make the sweet 16 even after losing today. There are several mid major coaches that I would want ahead of Davis or the Miami coach. I hope we make a good choice. Collins wil be solid when given the chance, but he is not a head coach and not black. 

Let me add that I realize my top choice is not black, just think he is a winner and a very faithful christian which matters in this state...

Anyone who has a strong Christian faith matters to me as well. I don't care if he's black, white, purple, blue, pink or green. I just want the best coach/recruiter out there.

Though it won't be fair, we will take even a bigger hit from the media if Jay hires another white coach. It really stinks but that's just the way things are in this day and time.

Anyone who has a strong christian faith matters to me as well. I don't care if he's black, white, purple, blue, pink or green.

Me either. As long as he has solid integrity, nothing else matters to me. The things I wrote are what Jacobs will be looking for and Drew has strong convictions regarding Christianity, he is just not black...

I think some people get too caught up, not you but in general, on our new coach being black. I think regardless of what anybody thinks, Jacobs is gonna hire who he thinks is best for the job, rather he is black, white, chinese, or mexican. He isn't gonna hire a black coach just to make people like Barkley or anybody happy. He isn't gonna hire a white man because he is racist. He isn't going to base his decision on what somebody might say or think. I truly think he will do whatever he feels is best for Auburn University, period. For people that think Jacobs wouldn't hire a coach because of the color of his skin(Barkley), needs to get a grip on reality and grow up. Those days are over. I like Scott Drew too but i don't think he would leave Baylor. And i agree, one day Collins is gonna be a heck of a coach for someone. I'm like you, I just hope we get this hire right, whoever that might be.

I know that Coach K isn't high on Auburn, but that does not mean Collins would not come. North Carolina and Duke are the class of colleg basketball. It is a shame that Lebo could not recruit cause we were close to having a quality program. I think giving a Duke guy a chance would be a good thing. We need to find a recruiter though.

Archived