release

auclong

Auburn has granted a release for Salter, the JUCO guard. Must have happened this AM. More when I know more. Some of you may already know more than me on it.

And on a negative note, he was the nation's #1 rated JUCO point guard. I believe the issue was academics, but it's still not good news.

We need immediate impact players; doesn't matter what position, but we need big men worse than anything..

With Steele and Salter gone, the only point guard available is a sophomore walkon. I submit that a point guard, preferably two, are a dire need.

We need immediate impact players; doesn't matter what position, but we need big men worse than anything..

With Steele and Salter gone, the only point guard available is a sophomore walkon. I submit that a point guard, preferably two, are a dire need.

Erroneous. Frankie Sullivan was an all-state point guard in high school. Guy played the point for 5 years with his high school. He probably has 5 times the vision that Reed ever thought about having. Lebo never played him there but that is no surprise as he played Tony Douglas at the 2 as well. Douglas was an NBA draft pick at-guess what- the point. We also have a scholarship true sophomore, can not think of his name, but he played this year some at small forward (small stinkin forward) who is 6'5. He was the pg we recruited the same class that that we recruited Ernest Ross at the 2. My point is, Lebo had an affinity for playing these guys out of position for some reason and just because they never played point for him does not mean they can not play the position.

Erroneous. Frankie Sullivan was an all-state point guard in high school. Guy played the point for 5 years with his high school. He probably has 5 times the vision that Reed ever thought about having. Lebo never played him there but that is no surprise as he played Tony Douglas at the 2 as well. Douglas was an NBA draft pick at-guess what- the point. We also have a scholarship true sophomore, can not think of his name, but he played this year some at small forward (small stinkin forward) who is 6'5. He was the pg we recruited the same class that that we recruited Ernest Ross at the 2. My point is, Lebo had an affinity for playing these guys out of position for some reason and just because they never played point for him does not mean they can not play the position.

Andre Malone is the 6'5 guy you're talking about.

My recollection is Salter was the first one that wanted out of his scholie and that it seems like grades were a problem, specifically, if I recall correctly, he was going to have to take a math class this summer to qualify. I am not positve of that, just recall reading something to that effect on him.  Good observation on Lebo playing players out of position, seemed to be a regular thing. Only problem with Frankie playing point is we will lose some of his offense and not sure who will pick up the slack.  hopefully the kid from Texas will work out and provide some depth there regardless of who  plays point. And hopefully, the injury bug will stay far away from us this year for a change!

My recollection is Salter was the first one that wanted out of his scholie and that it seems like grades were a problem, specifically, if I recall correctly, he was going to have to take a math class this summer to qualify. I am not positve of that, just recall reading something to that effect on him.  Good observation on Lebo playing players out of position, seemed to be a regular thing. Only problem with Frankie playing point is we will lose some of his offense and not sure who will pick up the slack.  hopefully the kid from Texas will work out and provide some depth there regardless of who  plays point. And hopefully, the injury bug will stay far away from us this year for a change!

Correct on Salter. He would have to take another class to get in AU and apparently didn`t want to.

Have you seen Andre Malone play? I have. I don't see a point guard there. We need Sullivan's scoring at 2-guard. Even if Sullivan is moved, what if he sprains an ankle? We are in desperate need of point guards.

I have seen Malone play as well and most of the timed he was in the paint trying to box out guys that were 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. The rest of the time he was doing what all the other hybrid forwards we had were doing. Spotting up around the perimeter so we could pass it around 5 times on the perimeter and shoot a 3. I am really not trying to argue, I am just saying we have never seen Malone in a role that even resembled the point so how can you gauge that he can not play the point.  I am also not saying we could not use a point guard in this class, but honestly, I would rather get a big time 2-guard and let Frankie play the point. The argument of what if he gets hurt is arbitrary. I mean, what if a starter at any position gets hurt? You put somebody else in there. I think Wallace is serviceable at the point. If we ran any semblance of an offense and had anybody that could play with their back to the basket, the point guard would have a lot easier of a time. I do agree we need Frankie to score but I have seen plenty of point guards that average 18 a game.

I don't like losing anyone good, but if the kid didn't want to take a math class to qualify...how much was his heart set on AU?  I am sure it wasn't some high end calculus class he needed.

In any event, I have faith that Barbee will get a good replacement for him.

:wedance:

I don't like losing anyone good, but if the kid didn't want to take a math class to qualify...how much was his heart set on AU?  I am sure it wasn't some high end calculus class he needed.

In any event, I have faith that Barbee will get a good replacement for him.

:wedance:

Malone was recruited as a shooting guard. Sullivan was recruited as a combo guard who could play either position. A lot of people felt he was probably better at the shooting position than the point. I couldn`t tell you myself though he was acknowledge to be able to move well with or without the ball. i agree that we do nee another point. The little walk-on guy did a good job but I just wonder how far he could take us.

Its a shame these guys are leaving... but I believe Barbee has a backup plan and will possibly bring in suitable replacements.

Theres always another big player out there that may have slid off the grid.

I don't have a problem with Sullivan playing PG. In that offense the PG is a scoring guard. Not like in traditional offenses where the PG sets up other guys to get them baskets. The PG has the freedom to score at will. Here are some examples: Dejuan Wagner 21 ppg,  Derrick Rose 14 ppg, John Wall 16 ppg, Eric Bledsoe 11 ppg. All were PGs that were major scorers in that offense. Everything ran through them the same way everything would run through Sullivan if he plays the PG position. If he wants to move on to the NBA( which i'm sure he does) it's probably the best thing for him. He doesn't have the size for a SG at the NBA level. And ultimately that's what top talent is looking for in a program and coach, a place and coach that can get them to the next level. He could easily make that transition and would more than likely be happy having the ball in his hands more with the freedom to penetrate or shoot the jumper, which he does both very well.

:we: I believe Frankie will be our point guard and could be an all SEC player at that position.  He was great this year distributing the ball.  The more he has is hands on the ball the better.  Coach Barbee has known him since he was in the 9th grade and knows what he can do.  Dwayne was a disaster.  Josh Wallace played very well when he was in the game.  He didn't turn the ball over much and played the role well distributing the ball.  I always felt we would have been a better team with him running the point last year.  Either Malone or Ross could play shooting guard.  Both put up big numbers in high school and showed some promise this year.  Barbee is going after  what we desparately need is forwards.  I am tired of seeing guards play forward for us.  We haven't had an SEC caliber forward since Josh Dollard.  Vot was but always had to play center because we had no center.  He played out of position his whole career.  Good luck Coach in landing one or two of the forwards who are still out there.

"Coach Barbee has known him since he was in the 9th grade and knows what he can do."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^'Was just about to point this out.^  Coach Barbee knows Frankie and thinks very highly of him.

"Coach Barbee has known him since he was in the 9th grade and knows what he can do."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^'Was just about to point this out.^  Coach Barbee knows Frankie and thinks very highly of him.

So do Auburn fans :). This kid will be something special next year.

• 2 weeks later...

There's always another big player out there that may have slid off the grid.

There is usually a reason they "slid off the grid".  Like that kid Marquette was recruiting who has sexual assault charges leveled at him.

:dunno:

Archived