No more baseball for me

WaReAgLe83

im sorry i just do not understand why anyone who was a baseball fan would not watch the world series. please give me reasons why you will not watch it. and if you say "because the matchup does not interest me" please say why it doesnt

has nothing to do with the matchups for me... I simply don't enjoy the game of Major League baseball... I don't enjoy it, because i'm sick and tired of all the players complaining they don't make enough money... I'm actually hoping for another player strike, team contraction, and anything else that would put an end to the misery of major league baseball...

you hsouldnt let something outside the game effect what you watch. there is no one complaining about their pay right now or during the games. just 9 on 9 guys playin a game.

The matchup in the World Series doesn't interest me because:

1. I'm tired of seeing the Yankees go out and spend whatever amount of money they want to pick up players from the perennial have-nots to take them to yet another WS. Sorry. This system makes it very hard for small-market teams to compete. I mean, sure, they'll give it run here and there. But until something changes in the revenue structure, teams like KC, Pittsburgh, Montreal, and so on will have to cobble together young inexpensive talent and hope for a miracle in the two or three years they can afford to pay those guys, otherwise they'll have to off load them to teams like the Yankees so they can go to their 415th World Series.

2. The Marlins have no history. They have a terrible fan base. Some of the individual players are great guys I'm sure, but I'm sorry, they just don't excite me. They win a WS title in 1997 and completely dismantle the team. There's just nothing there for me.

I was interested when the Braves were still in it (I've been cheering for them since the late 70s when they absolutely sucked). Then, my second and third favorites had a chance to go (Red Sox and Cubs), and they were eliminated. What's left holds no interest to me. You've got one team with all the history, although MLB's system props it up by letting them spend money hand over fist while others can't compete for the best players anymore AND you have a team with no history. That's not a compelling matchup to me.

Finally, NBA Basketball sucks. I'm tired of defense that can practically mug anyone who drives the lane. I'm sick of palming and travelling that rarely gets called. I'm sick of people who can't hit a 15 foot jumper but will fire it up from 28 feet ten times a game. I tired of people being unable to hit a free throw. I'm tired of one-on-one ball instead of five-on-five. I'm tired of scores like 87-76 in a 48 minute game that used to produce scores in 120-115 range practically every night. I'm tired of people who can't run a fast break. I'm tired of teams like the Lakers who lollygag through the regular season because they know 82 games is too damn much and is meaningless when half the conference makes the playoffs anyway. All they have to do is turn it on in the postseason to make their run.

If you don't like it, bite me.

you hsouldnt let something outside the game effect what you watch. there is no one complaining about their pay right now or during the games. just 9 on 9 guys playin a game.

I'll say it once more... I'm free to make up my own mind on what i watch....and MLB and the NBA DO NOT INTEREST me in the least.. They are all OVERPAID CRY BABIES...

titan tiger you make good points. aucol you are just repeating your self. i dont see why players whining about salries effects the actual game. they all want to win the world series. and ill admit the NBA sucks but i like the hawks. go J T

titan tiger you make good points. aucol you are just repeating your self. i dont see why players whining about salries effects the actual game. they all want to win the world series. and ill admit the NBA sucks but i like the hawks. go J T

I'm repeating myself because apparently its too difficult for you to understand. Whinning about salaries affects the game because they are playing a GAME. They are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A GAME and yet they are still complaining about not making enough. Until they act like grown ups and actually express how privaleged they are to PLAY A GAME for a LIVING instead of complaining because a player on another team makes more than they do, i couldn't care less about watching them. I am hoping EVERY DAY for another MLB STRIKE. It almost ended the game several years ago, and I would be thrilled to death if there was NO MORE Major LEague Baseball.....

I can't think of a more boring World Series than Yankees-Marlins. UGH! We could've had Red Sox-Cubs! I'm just sick. I won't be watching any of the WS. I'd have more fun watching paint dry.

1. I'm tired of seeing the Yankees go out and spend whatever amount of money they want to pick up players from the perennial have-nots to take them to yet another WS. Sorry.

It will be a much more exciting series than if the braves had played, that's for sure.

The big money excuse just doesn't work, TT. The braves, orioles, red sux, and rangers all spend a ton of money and it doesn't get them to the ws. For some reason nobody complains about the money they spend, people only whine about how the Yankees. Give me a break. If the braves had won 25 of 99 world series, you would never argue the money factor.

The matchup in the World Series doesn't interest me because:

1.  I'm tired of seeing the Yankees go out and spend whatever amount of money they want to pick up players from the perennial have-nots to take them to yet another WS.  Sorry.  This system makes it very hard for small-market teams to compete.  I mean, sure, they'll give it run here and there.  But until something changes in the revenue structure, teams like KC, Pittsburgh, Montreal, and so on will have to cobble together young inexpensive talent and hope for a miracle in the two or three years they can afford to pay those guys, otherwise they'll have to off load them to teams like the Yankees so they can go to their 415th World Series.

From the healthcare thread:I am a full-on capitalist on most everything. You make a product or provide a service better than others, you should be able to reap whatever the market will pay for it. There is nothing wrong with making money or being rich.

What's wrong with the Yankees putting the best product they can afford on the field. If it's unfair to the smaller market teams, isn't that the nature of capitalism? Don't we tell the small, family drugstores and hardware stores who complain about the Wal-Marts and Lowes putting them out of business that? And wouldn't we complain if the government tried to level the playing field to help them stay afloat? It seems to me that the Yankees are Wal-Mart and the Expos are the local mom and pop and they must be allowed to fail if that's what the market brings to bear.

It will be a much more exciting series than if the braves had played, that's for sure.

The big money excuse just doesn't work, TT. The braves, orioles, red sux, and rangers all spend a ton of money and it doesn't get them to the ws. For some reason nobody complains about the money they spend, people only whine about how the Yankees. Give me a break. If the braves had won 25 of 99 world series, you would never argue the money factor.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. But like I said...I loved the Braves long before they were any good.

And the big money "excuse" is valid. I don't like it even though it helps the Braves. It makes baseball rather boring because you can pretty much eliminate a ton of teams at the start of the year without even having to think hard.

Don't tell me what I would and wouldn't argue. I'm a big Cowboys fan too (after the Titans) and if the NFL had MLB's revenue structure, they'd rule year in year out with their revenue stream. But you don't see me clamoring for it.

What's wrong with the Yankees putting the best product they can afford on the field. If it's unfair to the smaller market teams, isn't that the nature of capitalism? Don't we tell the small, family drugstores and hardware stores who complain about the Wal-Marts and Lowes putting them out of business that? And wouldn't we complain if the government tried to level the playing field to help them stay afloat? It seems to me that the Yankees are Wal-Mart and the Expos are the local mom and pop and they must be allowed to fail if that's what the market brings to bear.

Because ultimately, although it is a business, it is a game. That is what makes it popular. That is why we watch it. We don't watch it to evaluate which owner has the best business mind. The nature of the game should be that teams who do the best job of evaluating talent, nurturing it through their farm system, making savvy trades, and coaching it when they have it should rise to the top.

It's one reason the NFL is the #1 sport in the country and baseball's claim to being "America's pastime" is a hollow cheer from a long lost era.

That can be said of any business. Skating rinks, cruise ships and malls are all fun, but they are still businesses. And, as such, if they can't/won't/don't offer the best product and/or services, then someone else will. Straight-up capitalism says that if the Yankees can make more money and put a better product on the field than the Cleveland Indians do, and the Indians suffer because of it, that isn't the Yankees fault.

But, Titan, I think that you are a closet supporter of affirmative action who just doesn't want to admit it yet! :D

That can be said of any business. Skating rinks, cruise ships and malls are all fun, but they are still businesses. And, as such, if they can't/won't/don't offer the best product and/or services, then someone else will. Straight-up capitalism says that if the Yankees can make more money and put a better product on the field than the Cleveland Indians do, and the Indians suffer because of it, that isn't the Yankees fault.

But, Titan, I think that you are a closet supporter of affirmative action who just doesn't want to admit it yet! :D

The point of having a league like this is competition on the field of play. If this is the way they're going to run things from here on out, they should just contract down to about 20 teams, tops, that are in a large enough metro area to make money and quit boring us with the also-rans who have no chance no matter how good they are at evaluating talent or coaching it.

Like I said, NFL...#1 sport in America. Why? Because they have a revenue and salary cap structure that gives everyone a shot at winning if they can put it together. It doesn't guarantee outcomes...look how long the Cardinals have sucked. But at least they can't say it's because of things out of their control.

I still think you're a closet fan of affirmative action...we'll work on that, OK? You still have time to come around before election day. Who knows, with a lot of work, you might even make the Democratic primary!!! :D

I still think you're a closet fan of affirmative action...we'll work on that, OK? You still have time to come around before election day. Who knows, with a lot of work, you might even make the Democratic primary!!! :D

I vote by issues that are important to me, first on issues of conscience, secondly on issues of philosophy. It just so happens that Republicans fit those issues most often and therefore get my vote. Maybe you missed my post from a week or so ago on this subject:

I think what drives me nuts is how there is no room for a true middle ground candidate.  Political independents are novelties that make it here and there as Congressmen, but almost never as Senators (unless they change after an election) and forget about it as President.

Give me a pro-life Democrat who makes decisions not based on a party ideology, but issue by issue (he might make Dems happy on one thing, Repubs on another), and I'd probably vote for him.  I vote Republican because they seem to be the only ones willing to stand for the unborn (which is an even bigger deal to me now that I've watched my daughter come into the world) and they generally keep taxes down.  But I don't agree with them on everything.  If a Democrat came through with enough views of importance to me where I liked them, I'd flip the switch for them.

In fact, I have voted for a Democrat mayor here in Nashville twice now, and came so close to doing so for governor, but couldn't in good conscience because of his pro-choice views.

I just despair at the choices we always seem to get

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...t=0entry10575

I don't believe in affirmative action as it has morphed over the years. I do believe in actively seeking out minority candidates to interview. I encourage my employer to go beyond simply posting job listings on Monster.com. I realize that minority households are a lot less "connected" than white ones so you if you want to get qualified minority candidates to interview, you might have to do other things like participate in career days and job fairs at historically black colleges in town (we have at least two here) or get involved in networks of black or Hispanic business people. But that's as far as it goes for me. I don't believe in quotas or charity hires. I believe in hiring the person whom I think has the right combination of skills, talents, knowledge, personality, and so on for the job I'm looking to fill. Period.

Now, back to baseball. The system sucks. Makes for boring seasons with the same old teams there every year. Either fold all the teams that can't compete with the Yankees of the world or come up with something that makes the game fun to watch again because it's about what happens on the field again.

Now, back to baseball.  The system sucks.  Makes for boring seasons with the same old teams there every year.  Either fold all the teams that can't compete with the Yankees of the world or come up with something that makes the game fun to watch again because it's about what happens on the field again.

Naah. Just drop the maximum salary to about 5 mil a year and see who wants to play. After all the Tom Glavines are gone, the game will be better from a purist's stand-point. But also in that same reguard, the owners have to fully fund a retirement system. But then we'll have to come up with a way to punish those owners who actually run a good business and make zillions off the poor little exploited palyers!

Now, back to baseball.  The system sucks.  Makes for boring seasons with the same old teams there every year.  Either fold all the teams that can't compete with the Yankees of the world or come up with something that makes the game fun to watch again because it's about what happens on the field again.

Naah. Just drop the maximum salary to about 5 mil a year and see who wants to play. After all the Tom Glavines are gone, the game will be better from a purist's stand-point. But also in that same reguard, the owners have to fully fund a retirement system. But then we'll have to come up with a way to punish those owners who actually run a good business and make zillions off the poor little exploited palyers!

I have no problem with the players sharing in the profits the sport makes. No one comes to the ballparks or tunes in on TV to watch the owners. There just needs to be some sort of revenue sharing and salary cap structure in place that compensates players fairly for the dollars they generate, yet makes it so that actual strategy, coaching, evaluation of talent, and so on is what determines the good teams from the bad. As it is right now, it's that is mainly determined by who can afford to outspend everyone else for the best players. Sure, an exception squeezes through every now and then, but by and large, baseball is dominated by who has the largest wallet, with some teams basically being eliminated as soon as spring training starts.

Archived