Basketball Recruiting ***update 8/20/2012***

IHateBammers

That depends on the ride. If that ride includes any of our four freshman players transferring out, I'm not going to enjoy it much. How can players be developed if they bail out after one season?

We're bringing in 3* players on this oversigning, so it's not like we've rounded up world beaters that are future NBA stars. They'll need some time too. Every one of the '12/13' freshmen showed signs of promise, but they need time. If Barbee can't convince all of them that Auburn is the place for them to develop, he (and we) are in trouble.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooo, who gone?

Only 5 can start and maybe another 3 will spell them during games....other than that, the rest are mostly there for practice. Everyone on the squad is more or less a "project"....none shoot well from outside and most can't shoot foul shots or even play defense aggressively. Plus I don't think there are any especially good ball handlers at this point with Wallace and Sullivan gone. The coaches have a lot of work ahead of them....teaching basic skills and trying to create a team atmosphere. Beyond the starting five for next season, from what I've seen, I'm not sure it matters much who leaves. Anyone want to mention a couple names of players who if they left, would leave a big hole in the team next season. :dunno: I can't think of any.

Hoke hinted that something might be going on with Atewe....papers still aren't in and he doesn't know when he'll send them in.

That depends on the ride. If that ride includes any of our four freshman players transferring out, I'm not going to enjoy it much. How can players be developed if they bail out after one season?

We're bringing in 3* players on this oversigning, so it's not like we've rounded up world beaters that are future NBA stars. They'll need some time too. Every one of the '12/13' freshmen showed signs of promise, but they need time. If Barbee can't convince all of them that Auburn is the place for them to develop, he (and we) are in trouble.

amen

Hoke hinted that something might be going on with Atewe....papers still aren't in and he doesn't know when he'll send them in.

They're in

Sooooo, who gone?

Only 5 can start and maybe another 3 will spell them during games....other than that, the rest are mostly there for practice. Everyone on the squad is more or less a "project"....none shoot well from outside and most can't shoot foul shots or even play defense aggressively. Plus I don't think there are any especially good ball handlers at this point with Wallace and Sullivan gone. The coaches have a lot of work ahead of them....teaching basic skills and trying to create a team atmosphere. Beyond the starting five for next season, from what I've seen, I'm not sure it matters much who leaves. Anyone want to mention a couple names of players who if they left, would leave a big hole in the team next season. :dunno: I can't think of any.

That was cruel,quick,and to the point. Also very,very true. I have no idea what a coach looks for in a player in todays world.

Sooooo, who gone?

Benas Griciunas shot 5 of 6 from the 3 point arc in the Memphis all star game a few weeks ago and won the 3 point competition. Harrell made 95 out off 110 3 pters in a drill and Barbee raves about him. Price made 11 or 12 straight three's at the beginning of the season when he was fully healthy and Shaq played good defense for a freshman. Denson can drive to the basket and score 20 a game. We aren't really missing that much. Just some healthy bodies and some maturity.

Sooooo, who gone?

Benas Griciunas shot 5 of 6 from the 3 point arc in the Memphis all star game a few weeks ago and won the 3 point competition. Harrell made 95 out off 110 3 pters in a drill and Barbee raves about him. Price made 11 or 12 straight three's at the beginning of the season when he was fully healthy and Shaq played good defense for a freshman. Denson can drive to the basket and score 20 a game. We aren't really missing that much. Just some healthy bodies and some maturity.

That's a good five though hard to believe that any 3* will be able to start/play in the SEC...these guys like BG need some toughening up but the others are a year older and that's good. Still that's 5 out of 13 or 14. I'm not sure which of the remaining kids are indispensable at this point. College basketball is all about having a point guard to direct the show....and it's not clear (to me at least) that we have an SEC caliber PG. I like all the guys....they seem to be good kids and have some potential but mostly they seem as interchangeable as peas in a pod.

Sooooo, who gone?

Only 5 can start and maybe another 3 will spell them during games....other than that, the rest are mostly there for practice. Everyone on the squad is more or less a "project"....none shoot well from outside and most can't shoot foul shots or even play defense aggressively. Plus I don't think there are any especially good ball handlers at this point with Wallace and Sullivan gone. The coaches have a lot of work ahead of them....teaching basic skills and trying to create a team atmosphere. Beyond the starting five for next season, from what I've seen, I'm not sure it matters much who leaves. Anyone want to mention a couple names of players who if they left, would leave a big hole in the team next season. :dunno:/> I can't think of any.

Who stays or goes is not the problem. The problem is that Barbee has been terrible at retaining players. One whole recruiting class of his has zero members left at AU. Since we can't recruit the 5*, one-and-done future NBA stars we've got to get kids to stay with the program and mature. That's not possible with several jumping ship each year.

It matters very much who leaves....Nobody should leave! They need to stay here because with another year under their belts they should all be better. We'll never improve by losing four or five a year and then plugging in another four or five that need seasoning. That way we'll never have a mature team and to repeat myself we don't recruit the type of player that can win when immature.

Sooooo, who gone?

Only 5 can start and maybe another 3 will spell them during games....other than that, the rest are mostly there for practice. Everyone on the squad is more or less a "project"....none shoot well from outside and most can't shoot foul shots or even play defense aggressively. Plus I don't think there are any especially good ball handlers at this point with Wallace and Sullivan gone. The coaches have a lot of work ahead of them....teaching basic skills and trying to create a team atmosphere. Beyond the starting five for next season, from what I've seen, I'm not sure it matters much who leaves. Anyone want to mention a couple names of players who if they left, would leave a big hole in the team next season. :dunno:/> I can't think of any.

Who stays or goes is not the problem. The problem is that Barbee has been terrible at retaining players. One whole recruiting class of his has zero members left at AU. Since we can't recruit the 5*, one-and-done future NBA stars we've got to get kids to stay with the program and mature. That's not possible with several jumping ship each year.

It matters very much who leaves....Nobody should leave! They need to stay here because with another year under their belts they should all be better. We'll never improve by losing four or five a year and then plugging in another four or five that need seasoning. That way we'll never have a mature team and to repeat myself we don't recruit the type of player that can win when immature.

Much as it pains me to use the jerk across the state as an example, sometimes you don't know a kid isn't going to work out until you spend some time with him. I'm not worried now about who left two years ago and agree we need to develop a program so that every year we have a few solid seniors starting. But as things are now, it's obvious that TB thinks a kid or two that he wants to sign this year is better (and has better potential) than some he recruited last season. It happens all the time in football...and I can't recall when we have had more players than scholarships in the basketball program...we've always been short-handed so I'm desperate enough that I will go along with allowing him to sort things out this year and not complain about it.

Sooooo, who gone?

Much as it pains me to use the jerk across the state as an example, sometimes you don't know a kid isn't going to work out until you spend some time with him. I'm not worried now about who left two years ago and agree we need to develop a program so that every year we have a few solid seniors starting. But as things are now, it's obvious that TB thinks a kid or two that he wants to sign this year is better (and has better potential) than some he recruited last season. It happens all the time in football...and I can't recall when we have had more players than scholarships in the basketball program...we've always been short-handed so I'm desperate enough that I will go along with allowing him to sort things out this year and not complain about it.

If that's what he's thinking, well and good. If he's signing a couple extra because he knows or suspects that a couple that should be returning are going to jump ship, then it's just a mess. If that's what's happening, he's replacing experienced average players with a inexperienced average players in an endless cycle of futility.

Scouting reports don't indicate any highly sought "wow I gotta' make room for him" players in this new class.

Matthew Atewe @MatthewAtewe41

Can't wait to be on campus next year! #WDE #AUSOME!!

Sounds like he signed. Tweeted that like an hour ago.

Awesome, thanks for the update. This is why I like Twitter....news travels quick and most times it's from the horse's mouth.

Sooooo, who gone?

If that's what he's thinking, well and good. If he's signing a couple extra because he knows or suspects that a couple that should be returning are going to jump ship, then it's just a mess. If that's what's happening, he's replacing experienced average players with a inexperienced average players in an endless cycle of futility.

Scouting reports don't indicate any highly sought "wow I gotta' make room for him" players in this new class.

The thing is...you and I don't know what TB knows about the players currently on the squad so there is no way for either of us ...or a scouting report to address that question. Without evidence....I'm not about to jump to the conclusion that if a current player were to leave, that it's bad news for AU or that the team would be weakened.

Rutgers PG Jerome Seagears is setting up an official visit to Auburn. There is a good chance he won't have to sit out a year due to the transfer rules since Rutgers is a unique situation. He averaged 6.5 pts and 2.6 assists per game as a So and part time starter. Here is a link to his old recruiting profile.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jerome-Seagears-106181

Quote: "..I'm not about to jump to the conclusion that if a current player were to leave, that it's bad news for AU or that the team would be weakened. "

Then our opinions diverge. Barbee has already recruited too many players that for whatever reasons didn't stick with the team. Every one of this past season's four freshmen showed promise of being able to help an SEC team after a little seasoning. If any of them bails, it's a loss for Auburn basketball. If they leave because of character issues, it's a double loss and Barbee should have done better evaluation in the first place.

In short, Coach Barbee has used up all his credit. He gets no more "oops" signing classes. If he's incapable of keeping his team together we're in a fix again next season but that should be the end of it.

Quote: "..I'm not about to jump to the conclusion that if a current player were to leave, that it's bad news for AU or that the team would be weakened. "

Then our opinions diverge. Barbee has already recruited too many players that for whatever reasons didn't stick with the team. Every one of this past season's four freshmen showed promise of being able to help an SEC team after a little seasoning. If any of them bails, it's a loss for Auburn basketball. If they leave because of character issues, it's a double loss and Barbee should have done better evaluation in the first place.

In short, Coach Barbee has used up all his credit. He gets no more "oops" signing classes. If he's incapable of keeping his team together we're in a fix again next season but that should be the end of it.

Then I guess we will be diverged. You are making your judgment about the current talent level and the coach is getting paid to make his. Since his job is riding on it, I'm going along with him for now. I don't think this is a matter of "keeping the team together". True that's been a problem in the past but I don't read the current situation that way. As we know from our recent football experiences...one year does not provide a very good forecast of what is to follow. JMO but he is likely to be better able to determine what is an "upgrade" than either of us. There are two probably outcomes: 1. he will be right and we will have a better season or 2. he will be wrong ...and be gone. Since we have no vote in the decisions, I'm willing to keep an open mind until I see the team on the floor this coming season.

I ain't sayin' it's right or it's wrong...but you don't go from being the WORST team in the WORST big time conference by keeping the same players he had last year. This guy's job is on the line...desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm betting if he can win 20 games or better with these transfers and new recruits, most of us won't mind.

Rutgers PG Jerome Seagears is setting up an official visit to Auburn. There is a good chance he won't have to sit out a year due to the transfer rules since Rutgers is a unique situation. He averaged 6.5 pts and 2.6 assists per game as a So and part time starter. Here is a link to his old recruiting profile.

http://rivals.yahoo....Seagears-106181

From Seagears old coach.

@fmabballcoach: Jerome Seagears will be visiting Auburn university this weekend and Arkansas university next weekend and west Virginia univ.on 5/3

I am with you, I am tired of Barbee bringing in "better talent" he has struck out for three years, these four freshmen need to stay along with Denson and Harrell and ADT. I am no basketball expert, but do manage a damn good company and we retain and train; make money.

I have absolutely no problem with any coach upgrading the talent on his roster.

But...there's no indication that he's upgrading talent. It's looking like he's losing players before they can develop and plugging the resulting holes with another set of players that need time to develop.

A four-star player would be an upgrade. Since he hasn't signed one, the only thing to think is that his prior 3* signees are jumping ship and he's gone out and got another set of 3* guys to replace them. Thus he's having to start over every year. It's like watching a hamster on a treadmill, lots of movement and no progress.

Last year's freshman signees, Granger, Greene, Price and Johnson all showed potential but they are the type of players that need time to develop. They should be able to help an SEC team win in future years. If he loses a single one of those four, it's a step backwards.

Archived