Basketball Recruiting ***update 8/20/2012***

IHateBammers

we also need another guard who can score. IMO we need to go get a JUCO guard who can get buckets. Right now we have offered 3 JUCO wings and they are all really good scorers. Desmond Lee, Craig Brown, and Chris Griffin. I hope we sign one of them.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Any idea on who the top two or 3 targets are now?

Probably treshawn bolden, jabari mcghee and lamarcus white right now. But its been pretty slow lately so i could be completely wrong. one guy we are pursuing is 5* Texas SG Keith Frazier, but dont get your hopes up likely will stay in state at SMU.

Honest question: How would this work if Coach Barbee did decide to go this route. I know two sport college athletes are rare at major universities. I know he would probably have the football scholarship since that is why he is being recruited. Would he be considered a walk-on for the basketball team? Still take up a player slot but not a scholarship spot?

Honest question: How would this work if Coach Barbee did decide to go this route. I know two sport college athletes are rare at major universities. I know he would probably have the football scholarship since that is why he is being recruited. Would he be considered a walk-on for the basketball team? Still take up a player slot but not a scholarship spot?

That is how it used to be, but who knows now with the NCAA changing rules every other week. Barbee wold be foolish to not want an extra big body without having to use a scholarship. I know one thing if the kid can play WR in the SEC he can at least be an OK player off the bench for a few minutes a game. When I was at AU back in the early 90's I played BBall with the football players and the bball players and some of those football players were as good if not better than the bball players and they were physical. I bet Wilson could set some mean screens for those shooters. Coaches need to realize that the best teams have role players that do the little things that make the teams great. Back in the summer after AU's big season with Porter where we went to the Sweet 16, I debated with Tubby Smith at his camp that my beloved AU would not be as good the next season without Bryant Smith. Tubby thought I was wrong and went on about Porter and our PG (Who was very good). I told him that Bryant provided the D,, rebounding, unselfishness and leadership that allowed that team to get up and down the court. I also thought highly of the other big forward that had graduated-can't remember his name-that did a lot of the little things. Well the next season proved me right and Tubby wrong. If Wilson is willing to do the little things and not worry about his stats, but focus only helping the team win, then he would be a very good addition.

That is how it used to be, but who knows now with the NCAA changing rules every other week. Barbee wold be foolish to not want an extra big body without having to use a scholarship. I know one thing if the kid can play WR in the SEC he can at least be an OK player off the bench for a few minutes a game. When I was at AU back in the early 90's I played BBall with the football players and the bball players and some of those football players were as good if not better than the bball players and they were physical. I bet Wilson could set some mean screens for those shooters. Coaches need to realize that the best teams have role players that do the little things that make the teams great. Back in the summer after AU's big season with Porter where we went to the Sweet 16, I debated with Tubby Smith at his camp that my beloved AU would not be as good the next season without Bryant Smith. Tubby thought I was wrong and went on about Porter and our PG (Who was very good). I told him that Bryant provided the D,, rebounding, unselfishness and leadership that allowed that team to get up and down the court. I also thought highly of the other big forward that had graduated-can't remember his name-that did a lot of the little things. Well the next season proved me right and Tubby wrong. If Wilson is willing to do the little things and not worry about his stats, but focus only helping the team win, then he would be a very good addition.

If Wilson is able to have the attitude of a role player, I could defintiely see this working (I don't know much about his talent level). I would really have to talk to Wilson though about what his role would be. A lot of guys think they are the best and will only be out to show they are the best. If wilson would do all the little things and work hard at practice, I could see him being a valuable asset to Coach Barbee. The last thing the BBall team needs though is a guy with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove something. Again, I know nothing about his guy, but with his size and athleticism people keep mentioning on this board, I could see where he would be an asset to the BBall team. Especially since he would esentially come free because he would already have a football scholarship.

I agree with what you are saying. You have to have guys like Bryant Smith on your team to be successful. That is why I like Wallace so much on the current team. You have to have that guy that will go out and play defense, keep his cool under pressure, and give it all he has got.

I think the PG on that team with Porter was Doc Robinson. Loved watching those guys!

Wilson had 20 points and 20 assists last night.

20 assists???? i am not sure i have ever even heard of that many assists!

probably was double teamed and found the open man, his team is very well coached they probably had it where somebody was always wide open under the goal when he got double teamed.

Don't think Wilson is SEC level as a basketball player.

then he should fit right in with our team.

Judging from the caliber of play in the SEC, thus far, this season; many teams are talent deficient.

Yeah outside of Florida and Kentucky there aren't very many good teams in the SEC right now.

Missouri is very good this year. I forgot they were in the SEC for a minute until I looked at the standings the other day

Archived