Basketball Recruiting ***update 8/20/2012***

IHateBammers

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking more along the lines of Tarik Black transferring out of Memphis. Ryan Miller has some pretty nice connections to Memphis.

I'd love to have him but I think he is looking to transfer somewhere with a higher profile than Auburn.

RT @GoodmanCBS: Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others -- per his AAU coach

I'd love to have him but I think he is looking to transfer somewhere with a higher profile than Auburn.

RT @GoodmanCBS: Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others -- per his AAU coach

Could be....can't blame him for that. One of the writers on another site hinted that AU might be working on something here.

Chris Griffin would be a nice pickup. He seems like a solid player with a few offers from very good basketball programs.

I agree. The only reservation I have about signing him is that he is natural wing and we already have 7 of those.

Chris Griffin would be a nice pickup. He seems like a solid player with a few offers from very good basketball programs.

I agree. The only reservation I have about signing him is that he is natural wing and we already have 7 of those.

Obviously, we would rather have a PG instead, but with his height being around 6'7", he might could play the 4 spot in some lineup combinations. Also, having another shooter definitely won't hurt us, that is for sure. We already have 4 long guys with Atewe, B.C., Delph, and ADT, so we should have a lot of depth all around.

If the committed guys all sign, we'll be one over. Don't know how many more we can reasonably recruit. I know it's normal to lose a few but I think a lot of Barbee's future at Auburn depends on retaining the returning players that are currently on the squad. If a signee or two pops up with grade problems that could be the answer.

Link to story about the "oversigning", which is never oversigning unless and until you're faced with the problem come fall semester.

http://www.wareagleextra.com/2013/04/14/one-too-many-auburn-basketball-oversigned/#comment-12130

Griffin is a great pick up. He scored 10.5 pts per game while only playing 8 min per last 15 games (MCL injury). Sounds like what we need especially since FS is gone (A scorer). My only concern is how many schools he has already played at or has been committed to. Not saying leaving Rutgers is a bad thing though.

If the committed guys all sign, we'll be one over. Don't know how many more we can reasonably recruit. I know it's normal to lose a few but I think a lot of Barbee's future at Auburn depends on retaining the returning players that are currently on the squad. If a signee or two pops up with grade problems that could be the answer.

Link to story about the "oversigning", which is never oversigning unless and until you're faced with the problem come fall semester.

http://www.wareaglee.../#comment-12130

If I had to guess who it would be (pure speculation), it would be Greene Jr. or Denson.

Is there a possibility that one of the signees/commits has grade problems? I have no idea, but reality is that we really need to keep the last signing class intact after the issues with the first two.

Is there a possibility that one of the signees/commits has grade problems? I have no idea, but reality is that we really need to keep the last signing class intact after the issues with the first two.

I have no idea if any of the signed/committed guys have grade problems or not. However, Barbee must have an idea of each player's standing. If he's taken a committment from number 14 and is still after number 15, he smells a rat somewhere. I do agree that he can't stand to lose current players and still keep his job. As mentioned, he's already lost the better part of two recruiting classes to guys transferring out. He has to stop that bleeding!

I have no idea if any of the signed/committed guys have grade problems or not. However, Barbee must have an idea of each player's standing. If he's taken a committment from number 14 and is still after number 15, he smells a rat somewhere. I do agree that he can't stand to lose current players and still keep his job. As mentioned, he's already lost the better part of two recruiting classes to guys transferring out. He has to stop that bleeding!

As long as he keeps Shaq, Price, and Greene Jr. as well as getting all our current commits in school, we will be good IMO.

As long as he keeps Shaq, Price, and Greene Jr. as well as getting all our current commits in school, we will be good IMO.

If there is a rat anywhere it is Barbee, he has got to sign guys that last, if we sign this kid that is a guard, that gives us two too many. We do need a guard, I understand that this kid may be able to play some point, if fact I do not understand why we got Griffin, we need guards more than forwards. If we lose two off the current roster it really looks bad for Barbee

If there is a rat anywhere it is Barbee, he has got to sign guys that last, if we sign this kid that is a guard, that gives us two too many. We do need a guard, I understand that this kid may be able to play some point, if fact I do not understand why we got Griffin, we need guards more than forwards. If we lose two off the current roster it really looks bad for Barbee

Not trying to be a Richard here, but I had trouble understanding your post. It seems like you said we had too many guards, then in the next sentence said we need more guards than forwards

Not trying to be a Richard here, but I had trouble understanding your post. It seems like you said we had too many guards, then in the next sentence said we need more guards than forwards

You are correct I did not state that very well. By signing Griffin and maybe this other kid we have offered we will be two over therefore, two current players have to go, I am just disappointed that again we will be losing current players on the roster. I feel that we do not have enough guards, esp. point guards, in fact the only point guard is a fall signee. Therefore if Barbee is going to lose players, why are we getting another forward, Griffin, it just seems we sign kids and hope some stick and most are not. And if we are going to sign new players lets at least fill a need.

You are correct I did not state that very well. By signing Griffin and maybe this other kid we have offered we will be two over therefore, two current players have to go, I am just disappointed that again we will be losing current players on the roster. I feel that we do not have enough guards, esp. point guards, in fact the only point guard is a fall signee. Therefore if Barbee is going to lose players, why are we getting another forward, Griffin, it just seems we sign kids and hope some stick and most are not. And if we are going to sign new players lets at least fill a need.

I disagree. We have a good number of quality guards but not enough size (the only returning big man is ADT). With this class Barbee has coming in we finally have quality size. Imagine having ADT (7ft) at center, Grinaucus/Atewe (6'9") at power foward, then Griffin (6'7") and Shaq Johnson (6'5") at guard. We should finally be able to dominate the boards.

I do agree with the part about not having a point guard but it seems we're banking on Tahj Shamsid-Deen being able to start right away

I disagree. We have a good number of quality guards but not enough size (the only returning big man is ADT). With this class Barbee has coming in we finally have quality size. Imagine having ADT (7ft) at center, Grinaucus/Atewe (6'9") at power foward, then Griffin (6'7") and Shaq Johnson (6'5") at guard. We should finally be able to dominate the boards.

I do agree with the part about not having a point guard but it seems we're banking on Tahj Shamsid-Deen being able to start right away

Not trying to get into anything, but you are missing part of my point, you say we have some good guys coming with some size, but we do not know that, because at least one is going to be gone and more than likely two. Do we have a point guard with Tahj or will he even make it a few weeks into the season, if you bet the odds the answer is 50-50 at best. With Barbee track record it could be three or four, so do we have ADT, Atewe, Shaq, Greene, and who. We have to have some roster stability. We have to be deeper than one deep at all positions.

Doesn't the signing day start today? If he signs two more, we'll know that either two signees aren't going to qualify or two current players aren't coming back. Either case is not good.

Greene was recruited as a point guard, what happened there? I'll agree that he looks more like a shooter when he's on the floor, but is our player evaluation so poor that we can't recognize if a prospect is a point guard or not?

Not trying to get into anything, but you are missing part of my point, you say we have some good guys coming with some size, but we do not know that, because at least one is going to be gone and more than likely two. Do we have a point guard with Tahj or will he even make it a few weeks into the season, if you bet the odds the answer is 50-50 at best. With Barbee track record it could be three or four, so do we have ADT, Atewe, Shaq, Greene, and who. We have to have some roster stability. We have to be deeper than one deep at all positions.

I read somewhere that Harrell might not be getting a scholarship and will be a walk on. I have no clue if t PG depending on Greene. his is true or not, but if it is, then we are right at 13 right now. The coaches really want Dickerson (PG), so if we get him, that will give us 2 or 3That would put us at 1 over, which wouldn't be too bad, and we would have good depth at every position. I trust Barbee in knowing what he is doing, so lets just sit back and enjoy the ride til we start the season in November.

Archived