KSU with a returner at QB

CleCoTiger

Ran across this article earlier today, Cross-posted here.

Article in The Wichita Eagle at Kansas.com on the history of Kansas State teams coached by Bill Snyder with a proven returning QB. Sort of puts a different (scarier) spin on AU's Thursday night trip to face the Wildcats this season.

Link and excerpt:

Imagine a world in which you could accurately predict a college football team’s future.

No more analyzing schedules. No more scouring the Internet for information. No more feeding statistics into computers until they spit out numbers that make sense. No more guessing.

Sound good?

Well, you’re in luck. Such a world may already exist – at least for those of you trying to forecast Kansas State’s upcoming season. Over the years, a mathematical formula has taken shape that has consistently produced the same successful result for the Wildcats.

The inexact science looks like this: Bill Snyder, plus a returning full-time starter at quarterback, equals 11 victories.

Test it out for yourself. The last five times Snyder, K-State’s longtime coach, has welcomed back his leading passer from the previous season, the Wildcats have won 11 games. It happened in 1998 with Michael Bishop, 2000 with Jonathan Beasley, 2002 and 2003 with Ell Roberson, and then again in 2012 with Collin Klein.

Combine Snyder with a quarterback he trusts, and big things happen.

Dating back to 1989, Snyder’s first year in Manhattan, he has gone 70-32 with a returning full-time starter at quarterback. Throw out his first two seasons, rebuilding efforts even with the experienced Carl Straw at quarterback, and he has gone 64-16.
Expand the research to include proven returning quarterbacks – obvious up-and-comers destined for the starting job – and his record is 111-39-1.

More at the link...

111-39-1 with a proven returning QB. That is not too shabby, especially for a team like Kansas State. Not sure what kind of composition of teams make up those wins and losses, but I expect Snyder's Wildcats to be a very dangerous team for our Tigers. I will have this article in the back of my mind as this game approaches. Will be very interesting to see how KSU looks in their first few games, that's for sure.

Good. 11 wins= at least one loss. As long as that loss is to the good guys, that'll really help our strength of schedule.

I'm slightly nervous about this one as well. Snyder teams seem to be more dangerous since he recharged the batteries for a couple years. Hopefuly we'll have any early season jitters worked out by then.

You cant use statistics to support a supposition and "throw out" the outlier data.

Stupid premise and stupid article.

Not directed at the OP, but at the article itself.

I hope they do go 11-1 regular season with the one loss to our beloved Auburn Tigers. As stated above, will help our strength of schedule for KSU to be a strong team and probably win the Big 12. Like 2010 when we beat USCe regular season and then dominated in the SEC championship, we get to beat KSU regular season and then again dominate them in the playoffs!

I silll have some worries about us running that 4-2-5 defense.

I hope you don't lose sleep over it...because it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Don't think anyone at AU was taking this game lightly....and no matter what the KSU stats from days gone by, AU looks to have the best team and should win the game. JMO

They manipulated the numbers to make it look good. All time under Snyder with a returning QB the win % is 68%. or 8 wins on a 12 game season. Even when they throw out the early years the wins are over 9 but below 10 on a 12 game season. Then they through out even more years of QB that evidently were not good. The now are up to 10.4 wins on a 12 game season and guess they rounded way up. I wish I had teachers that would have figured my grades that way.

Archived