K STATE spread just seems puzzling

muxi87

Obviously I'm biased a bit, but I just can't figure out the 9 point spread.

Is there something I'm missing?

All eyes on us, Gus has a week and a half to prepare, it's Kansas State, we're Auburn...

I just feel like 9 is the lock of the century. I was expecting 14-17 as the spread.

What gives?

Don't underestimate KSU. Plus, with the unpredictability of our defense, Auburn won't get a lot of respect from the oddsmakers. I felt like the SJSU line was low as well.

Auburn never blew out a good team last year and have a very small resume to work with this year. And KSU is at home. And its Bill Snyder. And Marshall still hasn't thrown the ball well and the secondary is still terrible.

9 pts is pretty safe

It's not about who should win or by how much... it's about what the boy's with no necks have to offer to get people to bite with their paychecks.

Don't underestimate KSU. Plus, with the unpredictability of our defense, Auburn won't get a lot of respect from the oddsmakers. I felt like the SJSU line was low as well.

Obviously the San Jose St line was very low. I think this one is too.

KSU is a legit top25 team.

Yes they are. And Auburn is a legit top 5 team. No disrespect or animosity intended for K St but Auburn really does need to blow this team away, and do it early.

They're a legit team. I honestly never expected to 10+ point spread. I think nine is pretty good. They might be K-st but they have bill snyder. K-st with him has always been a good team. When he leaves, they'll be k-st again

I think a lot of people are looking at this as a trap game. There were a lot of "experts" before the season started who believed KSU would beat Auburn. AU defense looked really crappy the first half against the hogs. SJSU is a cupcake. So there are still plenty of folks out there who expect KSU to hang tough with Auburn. Need to give KSU some respect.

I don't think 9 points is low at all. That's a pretty big spread for two teams in the top 20, and this is quite possibly the biggest game (with regard to build up and hype, at least) ever played in Manhattan, KS, so they're going to be pumped up. A 9 point spread means that the Vegas odds makers have us winning by two scores; if we were 14-17 point favorites, that would mean that virtually no one thought K-State had any chance whatsoever. As much as I do believe that both teams bringing their A-game means that we pull away and win by at least a couple of touchdowns, we aren't playing a pushover here. Even if AU dominates the first three quarters, if we don't put them away, then we could see a repeat of last year's game vs. Georgia. KSU has an exceptional QB, a few playmakers to go along with him, and quality players all over the field, so even if we ARE clearly better on the field, if they can hang around and get a spark late, anything can happen.

So yeah, let's not go prematurely marking this one in the win column just yet...

I suppose I get nervous about every game, but I worried about this game and Arkansas a lot. Arkansas because it was a conference game right out of the gate and this one because it is a road game against a top 25 team. The good news is surviving this week with a win should build confidence and help us get in some good evaluation before getting to the heart of conference play in a few weeks.

I see it as a good spread. Gus will hold back on exposing playbook. When up by a touchdown with ball seems plays set up future plays rather than run up score.

Winning is better than style points!

I see it as a good spread. Gus will hold back on exposing playbook. When up by a touchdown with ball seems plays set up future plays rather than run up score.

Winning is better than style points!

holding back backfires more often than not Play all out the whole game. Never let your foot off the gas.

We will win by more than 9 points, book it fellas.

I've already booked it. I expect a close 1st half and we pull away in the 2nd half. Much like the Arky game. Just too many weapons on offense. If our defense can hold them to a couple FGs and get 3-4 stops in the game...that's all our offense needs.

Ellis Johnson needs to own up to his paycheck and have this defense primed and ready. I'm tired of these so called halftime adjustments. One day it's going to be too late if we don't come to play when the ball is kicked off.

It's not puzzling at all. It's actually a compliment if you have a clue. CFB on the road on a Thursday night with a great home crowd. IF we win by more than 9 we definitely make a statement.

Ellis Johnson needs to own up to his paycheck and have this defense primed and ready. I'm tired of these so called halftime adjustments. One day it's going to be too late if we don't come to play when the ball is kicked off.

I've mentioned it on other threads too, but Johnson's defense has allowed a grand total of THREE points in the second half this year. That'll win you a lot of games.

It's not puzzling at all. It's actually a compliment if you have a clue. CFB on the road on a Thursday night with a great home crowd. IF we win by more than 9 we definitely make a statement.

+1

Well with Whitehead not making the trip, it just opened a lot of "?'s" in the already questionable secondary.

I actually disagree. All it does is move Joshua Holsey back to safety, a position he's plenty familiar with. And I suspect we will see a lot of the Double Star look, with Therezie and Garrett on the field at the same time, as well, because both are versatile playmakers who can adapt the look of the defense pretty seamlessly.

Will it be a shutout? Almost certainly not, because the Wildcat's offense really is good.

But I'd be willing to bet we're going to make some big time plays on defense, too.

I've had really high hopes for Holsey since a couple of years ago...I always kind of thought (based on the his limited play) he made a better corner than safety. Whitehead has missed some plays this year, but he's made some really good plays as well. I'm not sold on the secondary this year (so far), but they have shown flashes. Hopefully the dropoff won't be too bad.

I've mentioned it on other threads too, but Johnson's defense has allowed a grand total of THREE points in the second half this year. That'll win you a lot of games.

I'm sure it will, but we can't wait until halftime to decide to play defense.

Archived