AU total defense nationally:

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I thought we had turned the corner earlier this year, especially after the KSU and LSU games. LSU was the first time in a long time we held a decent SEC team to 7 points. But then the bottom fell out when we started playing teams that can pass and run.

I looked at Oregon who runs a HUNH and plays agains teams in the Pac 12 that can light it up. Other than this year (they are ranked in the 90s which is shocking!) they have been in the 30s just about every year in total D over the last 7 years. So it seems it can be done.

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, playetrs have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I thought we had turned the corner earlier this year, especially after the KSU and LSU games. LSU was the first time in a long time we held a decent SEC team to 7 points. But then the bottom fell out when we started playing teams that can pass and run.

I looked at Oregon who runs a HUNH and plays agains teams in the Pac 12 that can light it up. Other than this year (they are ranked in the 90s which is shocking!) they have been in the 30s just about every year in total D over the last 7 years. So it seems it can be done.

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, playetrs have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

So we have our best D in 6 years. Fire the coordinator! ;)

I can understand wanting to fire him. I can also understand the sentiment of keeping him because our D is better than its been in a long time. But also the bar is so low due to the past that idk what we should do. Although I'd like to see Muschamp I'm not sure how realistic that is

I wish I had the answer to things. I'm not one that wants to fire someone every time something goes wrong or for one or even two subpar seasons. At the same time I really have a hard time thinking that things will get better with another year. Stability is good but at the same time if recruits don't feel like the coaching staff will put them is a position to succeed that will turn them away. It all started so good and then the wheels fell off.

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

So we have our best D in 6 years. Fire the coordinator! ;)/>

Some folks are kind of shallow IMO...they see the points allowed and jump on the "fire the DC" bandwagon without looking at a few of the mitigating factors that contribute to the numbers. Likely Gus will be a bit more perceptive than many of our loyal fans.

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

So we have our best D in 6 years. Fire the coordinator! ;)/>

With no clear cut pass rusher or shutdown corner. Is it the championship defense we would love to see, absolutely not. It is moving in the right direction, but it needs better recruiting and more development/less injuries to be consistently solid.

patience

When we told Tubs it was time to part ways I said, "maybe a change will put a spark in the program".

When 2012 happened I was not ready to start the death cycle of changing coaches every 3 to 4 years. It happened and we hired GUS. I then begged that everyone be patient and stay the course. Here we are in 2014 and already wanting to repeat and rinse the cycle of firing and hiring coaches.

Chizik, Muschamp, Rhoads, Roof, VanGorder, Ellis, who do we want to try this time???

Throwing my hands up!!!

The performance of the defense this year has been very disappointing, particularly given the talent and experience we had coming back on the line. Despite that I think making another coordinator change at this point will probably only set us back further. Hard to understand the poor performance over several years under different coordinators.

patience

When we told Tubs it was time to part ways I said, "maybe a change will put a spark in the program".

When 2012 happened I was not ready to start the death cycle of changing coaches every 3 to 4 years. It happened and we hired GUS. I then begged that everyone be patient and stay the course. Here we are in 2014 and already wanting to repeat and rinse the cycle of firing and hiring coaches.

Chizik, Muschamp, Rhoads, Roof, VanGorder, Ellis, who do we want to try this time???

Throwing my hands up!!!

Chiz, as dc, and muschamp didn't get fired. They left of their own free will. Chiz kept interfering with his coordinator. Ellis is the first one since 2008 to have a free hand to run the defense the way he wanted. We have good talent. My guess is he gets another gear. Gus can't allow him a 4th year if he fails to turn it around or his own neck will be on the line then

The performance of the defense this year has been very disappointing, particularly given the talent and experience we had coming back on the line. Despite that I think making another coordinator change at this point will probably only set us back further. Hard to understand the poor performance over several years under different coordinators.

Learning a new scheme every 2 years is one of the reasons why

Learning a new scheme every 2 years is one of the reasons why

Yep-that's why I'm not anxious to see EJ leave just yet. Sure would like to see some noticeable improvement next year.

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

So we have our best D in 6 years. Fire the coordinator! ;)

The problem is 1st half of the season stats and padding against creampuffs make our d stats look better. The second half of this year that would be close to 98th ranked D. Don't count out all the turn overs that we have had this year. During our losses we have given up 10 turn overs. It has been truly destructive.

This D will not work in today's SEC. It will not attract the caliber D players you've got to have. Don't want to fire CEJ but rather strongly encouraged him to RETIRE. Now as far as our Sp Teams coach fire him today, along with one other on D. Maybe this would rouse the other coaches from their slumber.

The first thing that has to happen is get better players on that side of the ball. I don't see how making defensive staff changes helps that. If, after one more season the defensive recruiting is still in the tank it will be time to talk changes.

I continually see our secondary out of position. I see our players hitting receivers after the play out of frustration over not being able to cover them during the play...total lack of discip0line. These all go back to coaching. Position coaches? DC? I'm not calling for anyone's head, I just want the problem to be corrected.

I know that if it is not corrected then next year this time people will be talking about firing Malzahn and not Johnson, and I don't think any of us want that.

Well it's time to talk change, because defensive recruiting doesn't look stellar. But then again it doesn't matter what u are rated coming out of high school if ur not being coached up on the college level

patience

I agree. Sad others do not trust Gus.

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, players have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

Or you can look at it this way:

SEC Ranking Points allowed per game

2014 - 9th 23.5 pts/gm (so far)

2013 - 9th 24.7 pts/gm

2012 - 10th 28.3 pts/gm

2011 - 11th 28.9 pts/gm

2010 - 8th 24.1 pts/gm

2009 - 12th 27.5 pts/gm

2008 - 5th 18.0 pts/gm

Is that real improvement? Will current defense recruiting success levels help, hurt, or maintain this pace of improvement? Where does the AU D need to be?

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, players have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

Or you can look at it this way:

SEC Ranking Points allowed per game

2014 - 9th 23.5 pts/gm (so far)

2013 - 9th 24.7 pts/gm

2012 - 10th 28.3 pts/gm

2011 - 11th 28.9 pts/gm

2010 - 8th 24.1 pts/gm

2009 - 12th 27.5 pts/gm

2008 - 5th 18.0 pts/gm

Is that real improvement? Will current defense recruiting success levels help, hurt, or maintain this pace of improvement? Where does the AU D need to be?

IMHO, AU better damn well stay in the top 5 in SEC recruiting if we expect to compete in this conference. We also better field a defense in the top 5 if our offense is sputtering and our players continue to commit stupid, untimely penalties.

Guest jojo1515

patience

So if Gus makes the change then what? Does that mean everybody else was on the same page as Gus and you weren't so you are the one on the outs with Gus??? I haven't heard anybody question Gus so you're trusting Gus comment is just plain ignorant and actually pointed at nobody. People trust Gus, but not EJ. The two are not mutually exclusive. Go find 5 people on here that are badmouthing Gus and prove it or retract it.

patience

So if Gus makes the change then what? Does that mean everybody else was on the same page as Gus and you weren't so you are the one on the outs with Gus??? I haven't heard anybody question Gus so you're trusting Gus comment is just plain ignorant and actually pointed at nobody. People trust Gus, but not EJ. The two are not mutually exclusive. Go find 5 people on here that are badmouthing Gus and prove it or retract it.

Boom!

Archived