Auburn total defense the last 7 years - nationally

gr82b4au

The problem is 1st half of the season stats and padding against creampuffs make our d stats look better. The second half of this year that would be close to 98th ranked D. Don't count out all the turn overs that we have had this year. During our losses we have given up 10 turn overs. It has been truly destructive.

Those stats are compared to all teams to date, so everyone's easy games are accounted for.

But it also about trends and our last few games trends are very telling and cocerning. According to the 7 yr chart, this defense is the best defense since 08. That just does not pass the eye test.

patience

I agree. Sad others do not trust Gus.

So if Gus makes the change then what? Does that mean everybody else was on the same page as Gus and you weren't so you are the one on the outs with Gus??? I haven't heard anybody question Gus so you're trusting Gus comment is just plain ignorant and actually pointed at nobody. People trust Gus, but not EJ. The two are not mutually exclusive. Go find 5 people on here that are badmouthing Gus and prove it or retract it.

Boom!

Another incredibly insightful post. Thanks.

Ah...Damn. Well as far as having an effective pass rusher....he does a great job I imagine none are 5 stars probably mostly 3 stars with some 4's mixed in

AU total defense nationally:

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I thought we had turned the corner earlier this year, especially after the KSU and LSU games. LSU was the first time in a long time we held a decent SEC team to 7 points. But then the bottom fell out when we started playing teams that can pass and run.

I looked at Oregon who runs a HUNH and plays agains teams in the Pac 12 that can light it up. Other than this year (they are ranked in the 90s which is shocking!) they have been in the 30s just about every year in total D over the last 7 years. So it seems it can be done.

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, playetrs have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

As soon as tommyt left our d plumeted. Our best d in six years has given up 35 points per game and 6.4 yards per play in their last 5 sec games :(/>

Ah...Damn. Well as far as having an effective pass rusher....he does a great job I imagine none are 5 stars probably mostly 3 stars with some 4's mixed in

Agreed^^ . And we have better talent than they do. Surely it can't be coaching, lol

AU total defense nationally:

Try

2014 - 54th (so far)

2013 - 87th

2012 - 81st

2011 - 80th

2010 - 60th

2009 - 68th

2008 - 29th

I thought we had turned the corner earlier this year, especially after the KSU and LSU games. LSU was the first time in a long time we held a decent SEC team to 7 points. But then the bottom fell out when we started playing teams that can pass and run.

I looked at Oregon who runs a HUNH and plays agains teams in the Pac 12 that can light it up. Other than this year (they are ranked in the 90s which is shocking!) they have been in the 30s just about every year in total D over the last 7 years. So it seems it can be done.

I know we have tried just about everything - 3 or 4 DCs since 2008, playetrs have come and gone, etc... What if anything can be done to get us back to playing good, solid, fundamental defense once and for all?

As soon as tommyt left our d plumeted. Our best d in six years has given up 35 points per game and 6.4 yards per play in their last 5 sec games :(/>

Well don't we have a good relationship with tubb? Why don't they consult with him about the defense like Gus help guys out on offense? Also I think Gus should have let Nick go with the qb guru guy. Nick already knew the offense nothing left to clean up but fundamentals and decision making....

Defensive scheme only goes so far. You can't compete if you don't have players with talent, experience, position coaching, and discipline. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the defensive scheme. Teams win with all sorts of different schemes, including the 4-2-5 used by CEJ. To my eyes, Auburn DL and LB talent has been good enough to compete, and this year has had plenty of experience. The defensive secondary hasn't had a lot of talent, but it's not as bad as some teams in the SEC.

To me, it's not the scheme, it is the position coaching and discipline that have been questionable.

When RG was hired away by Auburn, a lot of UGA fans were glad to see him go. They said he was a good recruiter, but a crappy position coach. They were not happy with the defensive line play. The same could be said at Auburn, except I don't see the lights-out recruiting either. And that is evident throughout the defense. By this point in the season, players should know their position, should know the scheme, and should be playing on instinct. Instead, they are still making a lot of mistakes, mentally and physically. It's not lack of effort, it's a failure of coaching, and to me it's looking like position coaching.

I don't know if CGM will want to change DC at this point or not, but even if CEJ stays, it would not surprise me to see some turnover in the position coaching ranks on defense.

Auburn is losing a lot of seniors on defense this year and defensive recruiting has not been at a level that strikes fear in the hearts of opposing programs. But I don't know that turning CEJ out the door is going to suddenly turn the defense around.

Defensive scheme only goes so far. You can't compete if you don't have players with talent, experience, position coaching, and discipline. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the defensive scheme. Teams win with all sorts of different schemes, including the 4-2-5 used by CEJ. To my eyes, Auburn DL and LB talent has been good enough to compete, and this year has had plenty of experience. The defensive secondary hasn't had a lot of talent, but it's not as bad as some teams in the SEC.

To me, it's not the scheme, it is the position coaching and discipline that have been questionable.

When RG was hired away by Auburn, a lot of UGA fans were glad to see him go. They said he was a good recruiter, but a crappy position coach. They were not happy with the defensive line play. The same could be said at Auburn, except I don't see the lights-out recruiting either. And that is evident throughout the defense. By this point in the season, players should know their position, should know the scheme, and should be playing on instinct. Instead, they are still making a lot of mistakes, mentally and physically. It's not lack of effort, it's a failure of coaching, and to me it's looking like position coaching.

I don't know if CGM will want to change DC at this point or not, but even if CEJ stays, it would not surprise me to see some turnover in the position coaching ranks on defense.

Auburn is losing a lot of seniors on defense this year and defensive recruiting has not been at a level that strikes fear in the hearts of opposing programs. But I don't know that turning CEJ out the door is going to suddenly turn the defense around.

I agree with a good bit of this. I don't agree about our secondary though, I don't think we're too talented at all. We have corners playing safety. Our safeties that can tackle gets moved to linebacker and freaking d end, we have nickel corners playing on our outside, no shut down guys, none play the ball well in the air, and I think the best prospects for the future is a freshman and a guy who was a hb last year (waste of a year, should be a RS freshman he might would be on some freshman all American teams)

I believe they need to find hosley a position and leave him there. I think it was ruffin who put the hit on someone and was flagged for targeting. Thats the first time in a long time that i saw a safety actually hit someone as they were attempting to catch the ball. He needs to be in the game getting experience. Ford needs to be moved back to offense and should be the jet sweep guy. We have recruited a bunch of good running backs, so i beleive that more running backs need to be on the field. There should be more backs in the backf field.

We need to go after one of these 6 DC's:

Clemson DC Venables

Narduzzi - Mich State

Foster - Virginia Tech

Durkin - FL

Muschamp and Chizik

Foster is never leaving vt if he has not left by now

Bud Foster has always been an interesting one to me. With Beamer on his way out, Foster may be available. Va Tech has consistently been near the top 10 in total defense over the last decade. They were in total defense for two years in a row during the mid 2000's. I think he would be like a John Chavus. An elite D-Coordinator that would be reenergized at another top program.

I'd venture to guess there's not a single player on GA Techs defense that was even offered a scholarship to play for us. Yet they are holding UGA to 7 points at the half..... in Athens. Its inexplicable how much our defense sucks. You can't explain it. And don't even get me started on how A&M has looked when they aren't playing us.

I'd venture to guess there's not a single player on GA Techs defense that was even offered a scholarship to play for us. Yet they are holding UGA to 7 points at the half..... in Athens. Its inexplicable how much our defense sucks. You can't explain it. And don't even get me started on how A&M has looked when they aren't playing us.

Georgia should have 17 or 21 points though. They have two garbage fumbles that killed their first half.

We need to go after one of these 6 DC's:

Clemson DC Venables

Narduzzi - Mich State

Foster - Virginia Tech

Durkin - FL

Muschamp and Chizik

IF ( and I am not one saying we should) but if we were to change DC, then my pick would be Narduzzi from Mich St. They seem to have a tough defense every year.

However, my next question would is the better D performance by Narduzzi or Foster against weaker conferences and would not be as good in the SEC?

Georgia should have 17 or 21 points though. They have two garbage fumbles that killed their first half.

Still.... Tech beats UGA on last play interception. Roof's crew does good.

Still.... Tech beats UGA on last play interception. Roof's crew does good.

Ted has done a very respectable job once he was given the reigns to run the defense his way and not have the HC interfering.

Well what about g tech fumble that uga returned for a td?

Well what about g tech fumble that uga returned for a td?

I was just talking about tech's first half defense. Don't know why any georgia defensive play would be relevant to what I said.

Archived