New Auburn Baseball Coach Candidates

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some here have mentioned Butch Thompson and he seems as though he'd be a great candidate. What are the chances he'd leave state for AUburn?

I would vote for Bo Jackson or Frank Thomas.

Of course you would. Seems you want very little for a program you profess to be a fan of. Wouldn't you rather have a proven successful coach than someone that's never coached a game in their life? I know I do.

If all else fails, Gabe Gross would be a good stand in. But he does not have much coaching experience at all. But he does have helpful MLB experience.

Tim Hudson if he wants to coach

You don't hand the keys of a major college baseball program to a guy that's never coached at any level.

So that means we can't hire Gabe Gross?

Gosh...this stuff is so complicated.... :dunno:

You don't hand the keys of a major college baseball program to a guy that's never coached at any level.

he handed the keys to guys previously that were not qualified to coach so I would not put anything past him.

It's not complicated. You hire someone with successful coaching experience. Auburn is not the place for on the job training.

I think they will give Casey Dunn a shot but Dunn was pissed off when they hired Galloway. Butch Thompson is a popular choice right now but I'd give a look at Scott Forbes from UNC and Bobby Pierce from Troy.

Wish we'd try to hire a big name head coach; offer some $$$ to him??

OH WAIT!!!! We have none because we spent it on a Jumbotron

We'll have just as much money as we paid Golloway (who was a big name head coach). Jumbotron has nothing to do with it.

It's not complicated. You hire someone with successful coaching experience. Auburn is not the place for on the job training.

Trust you knew that was a joke....but you are right...Golloway (despite what some folks think) was prominent coach with good results getting his teams to the NCAA.

He was making pretty good money by baseball coaching standards and if the "for cause" holds up there should be plenty of money to get a coach with good creds.....though our last two hires have kinda shown that previous results don't always follow a coach to Auburn.

I know and respect Butch Thompson. I have a history with him and think he is a great coach and baseball mind.

However, I don't think he is the right guy for the job. He has done well in the SEC with pitching staffs, but he hasn't had a head coaching job (I don't think) since Jeff State CC in the mid 90's. I just don't think he is a good fit for our head job.

Pitching coach? Absolutely.

Having said that, I don't know who my candidate would be.

Hopefully, we'll find the right guy.

Archived