JF3 runs 40

RunInRed

Nick Marshall was at least good enough to be a full time starting QB on his juco team.

Should we have offered the guy starting in front of JF3 at juco? lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, Tiger. Marshall being less than NFL accurate + JFIII being however inaccurate he is in no way means they're anything alike.

Nick Marshall was at least good enough to be a full time starting QB on his juco team.

Isn't it going to be even more hilarious when he beats out two QBs who have been in the AU system for multiple years?

Isn't it going to be even more hilarious when he beats out two QBs who have been in the AU system for multiple years?

Haha I don't care if Aubie is taking the snaps I want to win some damn games!

Same here. I don't understand how people choose somebody that they want to win the job, unless they have a friend or family member on the team. They don't want the best quarterback to win the job, they want the guy who stimulates their imagination to win it. I don't understand.

Same here. I don't understand how people choose somebody that they want to win the job, unless they have a friend or family member on the team. They don't want the best quarterback to win the job, they want the guy who stimulates their imagination to win it. I don't understand.

^^^^^^ if i was pulling for someone it would be JJ because i like him, his attitude, personality, dedication. i don't have any confidence in his ability to be successful though. so i predict SW based on the rumors that JF3 can't throw accurately and he outplayed JJ last year. no favorites for me.

^^^^^^ if i was pulling for someone it would be JJ because i like him, his attitude, personality, dedication. i don't have any confidence in his ability to be successful though. so i predict SW based on the rumors that JF3 can't throw accurately and he outplayed JJ last year. no favorites for me.

Great point. It made me sad on a personal level when JJ faltered. But I didn't want him to keep playing quarterback, because he did falter. Rooted like hell for him in the TAMU game, though, because he was our quarterback again and there was no better option. And like you said, predictions based on data are something completely different.

Yeah, you don't care who wins the job, but you want to make slick comments about JF3. You know what, You are right? The kid did split reps with his JUCO teammate (This has been explained 1000 times). But now, this kid is representing AU, potentially at QB. Clearly him splitting reps with his teammate wasn't a big deal to RL, who went out of his way to recruit him and also likened him to NM. You guys don't like to hear that but it is the truth. Quite frankly, I am not impressed with any of our QBs.

Yet, while you are making your dig, do realize, he is now splitting reps with guys who have been in this system for multiple years. The same individuals who cannot even outrightly win the QB job. To me, It is very scary that neither one of them can outrightly win out the QB job against a young man, who has you have put it, was not good enough to be the full-time starter at his JUCO. Quite frankly, I don't have enough to even say that JF3 deserves the job, because he doesn't right now, but neither does the other two, if we are going off of what accumulated last year and the A day game. I will say this, you made a tongue and cheek comment, but you may very be right that Gus should've offered his JUCO teammate, as evident by the success he has had with JUCO QBs. You know? Like winning damn football games.

I can make "slick" comments about all of our QBs because nobody's resume at this point really shows us they will be ready to win us the West this year. In a vacuum we are hanging our hopes on a guy who couldn't start at a junior college. That fact alone is enough to dampen any hype around the kid IMO (Imagine if any of our rivals had this same exact scenario happening on their campus. This board would be full of "we don't have to worry about them this season"). Just like if it was JJ (he had a poor season) and even SW (he showed some promise but the competition wasn't as good) I was being sarcastic about his juco teammate though but I mean...he started over him so logic would say that his teammate was a better QB than him, no? I understand the circumstance and what Gus was shooting for by trying to get a guy with similar skill set as Marshall.

I wasn't taking a dig at the guy I was just poking fun at the entire situation really. Maybe I should start using these emojis a little more.

I can make "slick" comments about all of our QBs because nobody's resume at this point really shows us they will be ready to win us the West this year. In a vacuum we are hanging our hopes on a guy who couldn't start at a junior college. That fact alone is enough to dampen any hype around the kid IMO (Imagine if any of our rivals had this same exact scenario happening on their campus. This board would be full of "we don't have to worry about them this season"). Just like if it was JJ (he had a poor season) and even SW (he showed some promise but the competition wasn't as good) I was being sarcastic about his juco teammate though but I mean...he started over him so logic would say that his teammate was a better QB than him, no? I understand the circumstance and what Gus was shooting for by trying to get a guy with similar skill set as Marshall.

I wasn't taking a dig at the guy I was just poking fun at the entire situation really. Maybe I should start using these emojis a little more.

Peyton Barber started over JR. Does that mean Peyton Barber was better than him? Is that sound logic?

OMG, who CARES what other teams think. We took a freaking DB and made him into a productive QB in our system. Do you really think teams was worried about Auburn football when NM came to the plains? Especially seeing his JUCO stats? Some of you guys smh.

Peyton Barber started over JR. Does that mean Peyton Barber was better than him? Is that sound logic?

OMG, who CARES what other teams think. We took a freaking DB and made him into a productive QB in our system. Do you really think teams was worried about Auburn football when NM came to the plains? Especially seeing his JUCO stats? Some of you guys smh.

I think you missed what I was saying regarding other teams. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy between how we view AU happenings vs how the same exact scenario would be viewed if it was another school going through this same exact process as AU is.

As far as Robinson/Barber I don't think anyone here would say Barber is better. I don't really have an answer to that because everyone knew JR should've been playing but I mean who else offered Franklin as a QB? Buffalo? Does that give you confidence? Look all I'm doing is playing devil's advocate against unwarranted hype by mentioning these potential pitfalls of JF3. If we can't laugh at the bad about ourselves then we can't enjoy the good times IMO. I promise you the players crack on each other for poor play too.

There were rumors that JR had both injuries and attitude issues. Maybe just rumors, but when the most talented player isn't on the field, it's usually not because fans are smarter than coaches.

There were rumors that JR had both injuries and attitude issues. Maybe just rumors, but when the most talented player isn't on the field, it's usually not because fans are smarter than coaches.

Thank you for putting it better than I could, sir.

Thank you for putting it better than I could, sir.

I thought you've stated your case quite plainly and articulately. Sometimes it seems it doesn't matter, I guess, depending on who you're talking to.

maybe understanding of certain parts of the playbook. Pass protection? I don't know either and we may never but I agree it was not without good reason .

I think you missed what I was saying regarding other teams. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy between how we view AU happenings vs how the same exact scenario would be viewed if it was another school going through this same exact process as AU is.

As far as Robinson/Barber I don't think anyone here would say Barber is better. I don't really have an answer to that because everyone knew JR should've been playing but I mean who else offered Franklin as a QB? Buffalo? Does that give you confidence? Look all I'm doing is playing devil's advocate against unwarranted hype by mentioning these potential pitfalls of JF3. If we can't laugh at the bad about ourselves then we can't enjoy the good times IMO. I promise you the players crack on each other for poor play too.

You are right that would be hypocritical.

As far as Barber/JR. I don't care about that. We all know JR was more talented than Barber. I was just pointing out a flaw in your logic as to why JF3 wasn't starting. As to why JR wasn't starting, we can see that context matters. I am not trying to argue as to why? We will let Mcloofus play with himself about that one. That wasn't the point from the jump. The same goes with JF3. I have no problem with people playing Devil's advocate. I mean we should. I just had to refute some of your blanketed statements about JF3. For example, JF3 played JUCO at EMCC, who already had Wyatt Roberts (committed to JSU) waiting in the wings to start once Chad Kelly left for ole miss. Wyatt had been in the system for a whole year and the team was already acclimated with him before JF3 enrolled. Once he enrolled, they eventually used a two-QB system.

As far as NM goes. NM enrolled at Garden City CC. They are not a good JUCO team compared to EMCC, who have won the JUCO National Championship in 2013 and 2014, respectively. They quite possibly could've won it when JF3 was on the roster but they were disbarred due to a brawl that occurred on the sideline. So yes, NM was able to walk right in and win a QB job at Garden City, who is not particularly a juggernaut in terms of JUCO FB. Go look at his highlights. He is literally running around and chucking the ball up because he has to. He wasn't going into a program like EMCC, who produced Chad Kelly. The same Kelly who is probably considered the best QB in the SEC.

Mind you, I don't care if you crack jokes about the way guys perform on the field. However, you are cracking jokes about external stuff that has nothing to do with winning the QB job. If you want to say, He is not accurate. COOL. If you want to say, JF3 is just too small and I do not know if he can survive the SEC. COOL. Heck,if you want to say there isn't much to go off his previous games, therefore I don't feel comfortable with him being QB. Great. I would agree with you on two out of the three of those statements, but you aren't saying any of that. You are basing your confidence on the guy, off the fact that he shared reps with a teammate in JUCO. A teammate who signed with Jacksonville State (Ironically, they took us to OT last year and we are rumored to be after their QB) & the fact that he was offered by Buffalo. I find that extremely short sighted and a tad bit hypocritical, seeing as you said in your previous posts, you do not care if Aubie is back there as long as we WIN games. You are also continuously leaving out critical contextual points. Yes, he would not be a hot commodity for QB because he isn't your prototypical QB. Lucky for us, Gus does not need a typical QB to get to the biggest stage in college football. You also forgot to mention that he did sign with FSU and was used to emulate NM during the BCS practices. Coincidental?

As for the QB competition. There isn't one on our current roster that I have confidence in. They all have potential. They all have upside. Upside and potential means nothing if it is not being put to use. If I did had to pick a QB, it would be SW though. Not because he is better than the others. He has been fairly average to put it politely. He does seem the most polish out of the three we have, which I can live with. Still, he is just as turnover prone as JJ. He is horrendous in the red zone and he does have questionable durability. I have not seen enough of JF3 for me to say that he deserves the starting QB position. He does have accuracy issues and if that does not get cleaned up, then he definitely does not need to be the QB. I don't care if you run a 4.0 lasered forty, if you can't make the simple screen, slant or play action passes, there is no reason for you to be playing QB at the D-I level.

Edit: Not trying to go off on you bud. I just see the same three or four people, repeating the same stuff over and over again (You are not included in that) on every single thread. Clearly, you were being tongue and cheek about it and I took it out of context. I apologize for that. We actually probably have the same view in terms of who should be starting.

As far as Barber/JR. I don't care about that. We all know JR was more talented than Barber. I was just pointing out a flaw in your logic as to why JF3 wasn't starting. As to why JR wasn't starting, we can see that context matters. I am not trying to argue as to why? We will let Mcloofus play with himself about that one. That wasn't the point from the jump. The same goes with JF3. I have no problem with people playing Devil's advocate. I mean we should. I just had to refute some of your blanketed statements about JF3. For example, JF3 played JUCO at EMCC, who already had Wyatt Roberts (committed to JSU) waiting in the wings to start once Chad Kelly left for ole miss. Wyatt had been in the system for a whole year and the team was already acclimated with him before JF3 enrolled. Once he enrolled, they eventually used a two-QB system.

As far as NM goes. NM enrolled at Garden City CC. They are not a good JUCO team compared to EMCC, who have won the JUCO National Championship in 2013 and 2014, respectively. They quite possibly could've won it when JF3 was on the roster but they were disbarred due to a brawl that occurred on the sideline. So yes, NM was able to walk right in and win a QB job at Garden City, who is not particularly a juggernaut in terms of JUCO FB. Go look at his highlights. He is literally running around and chucking the ball up because he has to. He wasn't going into a program like EMCC, who produced Chad Kelly. The same Kelly who is probably considered the best QB in the SEC. Understood. That does make a difference the situation they were in. I didn't know all these details about the programs they were in at the juco level. I still just can't shake the idea that he wasn't good enough to beat out a guy who is heading to a FCS school. But I understand the team being acclimated to the other guy already does make a difference. I'm hoping that JF3 can become an adequate enough passer where he can at least run the Nick Marshall offense.

Mind you, I don't care if you crack jokes about the way guys perform on the field. However, you are cracking jokes about external stuff that has nothing to do with winning the QB job. If you want to say, He is not accurate. COOL. If you want to say, JF3 is just too small and I do not know if he can survive the SEC. COOL. Heck,if you want to say there isn't much to go off his previous games, therefore I don't feel comfortable with him being QB. Great. I would agree with you on two out of the three of those statements, but you aren't saying any of that. You are basing your confidence on the guy, off the fact that he shared reps with a teammate in JUCO. A teammate who signed with Jacksonville State (Ironically, they took us to OT last year and we are rumored to be after their QB) & the fact that he was offered by Buffalo. I find that extremely short sighted and a tad bit hypocritical, seeing as you said in your previous posts, you do not care if Aubie is back there as long as we WIN games. You are also continuously leaving out critical contextual points. Yes, he would not be a hot commodity for QB because he isn't your prototypical QB. Lucky for us, Gus does not need a typical QB to get to the biggest stage in college football. You also forgot to mention that he did sign with FSU and was used to emulate NM during the BCS practices. Coincidental? -- Well between what I saw at A-Day and his juco season THAT is what makes me weary about buying the hype on him. I promise when I'm speaking critically it's not influenced by me rooting for one guy or another. I just think Gus wants him as his QB but there are some things that are a concerning about his game

As for the QB competition. There isn't one on our current roster that I have confidence in. They all have potential. They all have upside. Upside and potential means nothing if it is not being put to use. If I did had to pick a QB, it would be SW though. Not because he is better than the others. He has been fairly average to put it politely. He does seem the most polish out of the three we have, which I can live with. Still, he is just as turnover prone as JJ. He is horrendous in the red zone and he does have questionable durability. I have not seen enough of JF3 for me to say that he deserves the starting QB position. He does have accuracy issues and if that does not get cleaned up, then he definitely does not need to be the QB. I don't care if you run a 4.0 lasered forty, if you can't make the simple screen, slant or play action passes, there is no reason for you to be playing QB at the D-I level. -- I agree here only thing is I'm not sure who should start. I'm hoping we have a dynamic run threat in JF3 because I prefer to have a QB who can run well, personally. But IMO JF3's passing inefficiency cannot outweigh the rushing positives if he's going to start as you stated. If his passing still is not up to par then, based on last season (that's all I can base it off of), I think SW should start because of the reasons you mentioned. I wish Woody was an EE so we could've seen him at A-Day. Hopefully JJ can turn it around and be who we all thought he would be but we'll see.

Edit: Not trying to go off on you bud. I just see the same three or four people, repeating the same stuff over and over again (You are not included in that) on every single thread. Clearly, you were being tongue and cheek about it and I took it out of context. I apologize for that. We actually probably have the same view in terms of who should be starting. -- I didn't take it as you going off on me at all. No apologies necessary, good sir.

As far as NM goes. NM enrolled at Garden City CC. They are not a good JUCO team compared to EMCC, who have won the JUCO National Championship in 2013 and 2014, respectively. They quite possibly could've won it when JF3 was on the roster but they were disbarred due to a brawl that occurred on the sideline. So yes, NM was able to walk right in and win a QB job at Garden City, who is not particularly a juggernaut in terms of JUCO FB. Go look at his highlights. He is literally running around and chucking the ball up because he has to. He wasn't going into a program like EMCC, who produced Chad Kelly. The same Kelly who is probably considered the best QB in the SEC.

Mind you, I don't care if you crack jokes about the way guys perform on the field. However, you are cracking jokes about external stuff that has nothing to do with winning the QB job. If you want to say, He is not accurate. COOL. If you want to say, JF3 is just too small and I do not know if he can survive the SEC. COOL. Heck,if you want to say there isn't much to go off his previous games, therefore I don't feel comfortable with him being QB. Great. I would agree with you on two out of the three of those statements, but you aren't saying any of that. You are basing your confidence on the guy, off the fact that he shared reps with a teammate in JUCO. A teammate who signed with Jacksonville State (Ironically, they took us to OT last year and we are rumored to be after their QB) & the fact that he was offered by Buffalo. I find that extremely short sighted and a tad bit hypocritical, seeing as you said in your previous posts, you do not care if Aubie is back there as long as we WIN games. You are also continuously leaving out critical contextual points. Yes, he would not be a hot commodity for QB because he isn't your prototypical QB. Lucky for us, Gus does not need a typical QB to get to the biggest stage in college football. You also forgot to mention that he did sign with FSU and was used to emulate NM during the BCS practices. Coincidental?

As for the QB competition. There isn't one on our current roster that I have confidence in. They all have potential. They all have upside. Upside and potential means nothing if it is not being put to use. If I did had to pick a QB, it would be SW though. Not because he is better than the others. He has been fairly average to put it politely. He does seem the most polish out of the three we have, which I can live with. Still, he is just as turnover prone as JJ. He is horrendous in the red zone and he does have questionable durability. I have not seen enough of JF3 for me to say that he deserves the starting QB position. He does have accuracy issues and if that does not get cleaned up, then he definitely does not need to be the QB. I don't care if you run a 4.0 lasered forty, if you can't make the simple screen, slant or play action passes, there is no reason for you to be playing QB at the D-I level.

Edit: Not trying to go off on you bud. I just see the same three or four people, repeating the same stuff over and over again (You are not included in that) on every single thread. Clearly, you were being tongue and cheek about it and I took it out of context. I apologize for that. We actually probably have the same view in terms of who should be starting.

Just wanted to give you some respect for a well thought out, researched and articulated post. Whether I or anyone else agrees or disagrees with your assessment, posts like these bring something of value to the conversation. Hats off to you.

Just wanted to give you some respect for a well thought out, researched and articulated post. Whether I or anyone else agrees or disagrees with your assessment, posts like these bring something of value to the conversation. Hats off to you.

With so much uncertainty within the program, disagreement is bound to happen. I love discourse between fans, but only when there is some reinforcement behind your opinion. I try to be as critical or praiseworthy to each individual as unbias as possible. Still, I do acknowledge that I am an advocate for a DT-QB. Either way, I think everyone would be happy with AU winning games, inspite of who is starting.

With so much uncertainty within the program, disagreement is bound to happen. I love discourse between fans, but only when there is some reinforcement behind your opinion. I try to be as critical or praiseworthy to each individual as unbias as possible. Still, I do acknowledge that I am an advocate for a DT-QB. Either way, I think everyone would be happy with AU winning games, inspite of who is starting.

I am too. Frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would not want a dual-threat QB. That said, I don't think a dual-threat QB is a requirement for our offense to succeed. I wish I could agree with you about everyone being happy with Auburn winning games, but I remember people complaining during 2010.

I am too. Frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would not want a dual-threat QB. That said, I don't think a dual-threat QB is a requirement for our offense to succeed. I wish I could agree with you about everyone being happy with Auburn winning games, but I remember people complaining during 2010.

I think everyone would love a dual-threat QB. The problem that most are finding is that really good ones are far more rare than solid drop-back passers, so you either end up not signing the ones you want or getting one who's, more often than not, severely lacking as a passer.

I think what you'll find most people don't want is a running QB who can't convert 3rd and 8.

I think everyone would love a dual-threat QB. The problem that most are finding is that really good ones are far more rare than solid drop-back passers, so you either end up not signing the ones you want or getting one who's, more often than not, severely lacking as a passer.

I think what you'll find most people don't want is a running QB who can't convert 3rd and 8.

Indeed. Everyone wants a Cam Newton, but they certainly do not grow on trees. I loved watching Nick Marshall play, but I also know he wasn't the QB you want to have when a defense forces you to throw 40+ passes to get anything done. He just didn't have the consistent accuracy for that, and he always seemed more comfortable throwing on the run to me. His legs could keep a play alive long enough for coverage to break down, or allow him to pick up some yards (or first down) on his own. That's what I like about dual-threats. I'm not at all convinced that zone read is the way, but I do like a QB with great mobility and awareness.

I agree. I don't consider someone a dual threat QB if they cannot consistently make the high school QB pass. That is just an athlete with the ball in their hands. No disrespect, but that is exactly what Lamar Jackson is at Louisville. I would be fine with SW running the offense, but not from a zone-read base. I think we have more than enough talent to have confidence in his throwing ability out of the shotgun. Honestly, this was one of my biggest gripes with Gus last year. In the Miss State game, SW threw one pick and Gus lost all confidence in him. I feel that SW can be a gun slinger, but you are going to have to release the leash on him. Yes, he will make mistakes but if you give him your full confidence and open up the playbook, then maybe some great things could happen. Of course, this is why I also do not get paid millions of dollars to make these decisions.

Indeed. Everyone wants a Cam Newton, but they certainly do not grow on trees. I loved watching Nick Marshall play, but I also know he wasn't the QB you want to have when a defense forces you to throw 40+ passes to get anything done. He just didn't have the consistent accuracy for that, and he always seemed more comfortable throwing on the run to me. His legs could keep a play alive long enough for coverage to break down, or allow him to pick up some yards (or first down) on his own. That's what I like about dual-threats. I'm not at all convinced that zone read is the way, but I do like a QB with great mobility and awareness.

This. I would love to have a pat white type. I am not saying we always need to get the Tate Martells of the world because that is just not realistic. Sometimes, instead of Gazing at stars, we need to find the right people who fit our identity. Not saying the coaches do this, but our fans freak out when we recruit a three-star player vs a five star all world player. Then, they complain when this all world player doesn't choose us, instead opting to choose from the other hundreds of schools who offered him.

Archived