Our current state

If our ladies cannot come back against Drexel, we will lose 4 athletic events in one day: a softball game, the sec equestrian championship, a baseball game at the hands of our arch-rival, and a wnit game that ended the ladies' run in the wnit tournament and would end their season as well... The state of auburn athletics seems to be contagious now

David Housel wrote a book about great AU football wins, Saturdays To remember. Today needs to go into a book Saturdays To Forget.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing (that I can think of) we can do to turn the PTB against JJ is to stop attending Auburn sporting events. Yes, it means not supporting the players, but what other way can we make things change while continuing to support them? Thoughts?

Empty stands...a sure way to impress top recruits. Yeah...go with that one.

So you say keep sending Auburn money and affect change exactly how? The fact Auburn is making money is the only thing JJ has on his side. Or should we just stick our heads in the sand and support being the worst athletic dept. in the SEC? You criticize every person who voices concern over being the worst, worst, in football, basketball, and baseball. What exactly do you think we should do to force change? I have yet to see you have any ideas on the situation.

You don't know that JJ is still employed based solely on profits. Someone posted that as an opinion,and everyone has run with it as fact.

No one knows what happens behind the scenes. But surely JJ and everyone else including the coaches and Dr.Gogue are not satisfied with losing. It's ridiculous for any of you to think they are. They are also aware that fans are not happy. The whole world knows it. I think there are ALREADY plans in the works to turn things around.

I strongly disagree with any plan to withdraw support from those kids who work hard for Auburn, and for their education by playing sports. Why would you want to punish them? It would hurt recruiting beyond repair, and it will sink any effort the coaches could make towards improvement. It makes Auburn look bad enough when fans leave early, and it would be terrible PR. AU does not need any more negative images.

I did mention that writing a letter is more effective than whining about it on a message board. But the TONE some of these posters use will make the recipient ignore them if it is continued in any letter or email.

The only thing (that I can think of) we can do to turn the PTB against JJ is to stop attending Auburn sporting events. Yes, it means not supporting the players, but what other way can we make things change while continuing to support them? Thoughts?

So you say keep sending Auburn money and affect change exactly how? The fact Auburn is making money is the only thing JJ has on his side. Or should we just stick our heads in the sand and support being the worst athletic dept. in the SEC? You criticize every person who voices concern over being the worst, worst, in football, basketball, and baseball. What exactly do you think we should do to force change? I have yet to see you have any ideas on the situation.

You don't know that JJ is still employed based solely on profits. Someone posted that as an opinion,and everyone has run with it as fact.

No one knows what happens behind the scenes. But surely JJ and everyone else including the coaches and Dr.Gogue are not satisfied with losing. It's ridiculous for any of you to think they are. They are also aware that fans are not happy. The whole world knows it. I think there are ALREADY plans in the works to turn things around.

I strongly disagree with any plan to withdraw support from those kids who work hard for Auburn, and for their education by playing sports. Why would you want to punish them? It would hurt recruiting beyond repair, and it will sink any effort the coaches could make towards improvement. It makes Auburn look bad enough when fans leave early, and it would be terrible PR. AU does not need any more negative images.

I did mention that writing a letter is more effective than whining about it on a message board. But the TONE some of these posters use will make the recipient ignore them if it is continued in any letter or email.

Write a letter to who? We have a lame duck pres. who has proven he will not make any waves on his way out. Write a letter to JJ? He isn't stepping down and he certainly won't fire himself. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Our main problem is that we have a ticket seller running our athletic dept.. I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be one. When I need my engine worked on I take it to a certified mechanic. I want him working on my engine and not some tire changer working on it. If the lack of production from our athletic programs, the worst in my life and I am pushing 50, is not enough to get the person responsible for these poor hires ousted, then drastic measures are called for. I hate it for the kids......I hate it that they may have a dream of playing at the next level. Our coaches are not giving them the proper training to get to the next level. If you don't believe me, just look back at the drafts the last five years or so. That is bad for the kids and that will also kill recruiting. Our kids deserve better. Our Family deserves better. Change is obviously not going to happen.....so it must be forced.

I understand your commitment to stay positive, but I'm beginning to think you are completely oblivious. It's obvious that Dr. Gogue doesn't care about athletics. If Jay Jacobs isn't gone after the spring sports are finished, then the only conclusions that can be drawn is that money is the only concern, the board of trustees essentilly were handcuffed by the SACS directive and that the majority of good Auburn men and women are okay with losing. I realize that you include me in your generalizations about whining and tone, but I'll include you in the group that's good with being less than excellent good mediocre.

I don't see where it can be assumed otherwise at this point that money is the driving factor. JJ can't point to anything other than ONE good season in football, and NO good seasons in anything else. His hires to this point have under-performed to say the least. Again, I in no way support pulling our backing of the players, they committed to us, we commit to them. But something has to be done. Gogue being a lame duck certainly isn't helping the situation, to be sure. But there's still got to be SOMETHING done to try to stop the hemorrhaging that is Auburn's athletic credibility.

So I guess the question is, can we get change without having to drop our support to the players? If so, how?

A mob with pitchforks and fire sticks?

I understand your commitment to stay positive, but I'm beginning to think you are completely oblivious. It's obvious that Dr. Gogue doesn't care about athletics. If Jay Jacobs isn't gone after the spring sports are finished, then the only conclusions that can be drawn is that money is the only concern, the board of trustees essentilly were handcuffed by the SACS directive and that the majority of good Auburn men and women are okay with losing. I realize that you include me in your generalizations about whining and tone, but I'll include you in the group that's good with being less than excellent good mediocre.

No one,including me, wants to lose. And I am certainly not oblivious to anything, so don't insult my intelligence. But I do realize that as a fan, I am not privy to what's going on inside the Athletic Dept., or what their plans may be. I give them credit for having the intelligence to know that things need to improve. I believe that JJ wants to win as much as you do. He may not be the guy Auburn needs as AD, but I do think he knows losing records are not acceptable. I seriously doubt he thinks his job is secure. The money will dry up if things do not improve, and he's smart enough to know that too. Tennessee is the the cautionary tale...

I am against calling out kids by name on a message board just because they have a bad day or don't live up to fans' expectations, and I am against non-attendance as a way to affect change. That does not mean I am clueless. It means I can see beyond my own ego. I am a mother, and I always think about those students and their families. Some of the stuff people post is extremely mean and hurtful. I am worried that now that the idea of non-attendance has been posted that it will take off. The athletes deserve better than that.

Dr Gogue, IMHO, is planning to leave things as they are and let the next guy appoint his own AD.

I listened to some of the game yesterday on the radio. I listened to the Alabama broadcast though because I couldn't get the Auburn broadcast of the game. They said that the 3 game series was the 3rd largest attended Auburn-Alabama series in Plainsman Park's history.

So, if we're good little boys and girls, we can't whine, we have to use nice tone, we can't stay away from games or meets, and writing letters isn't going to change anything. We can't call out coaches or players, not even when there are solid specific facts. We are to trust the two guys at the top who have sole discretion over the athletic program and teams. We can trust them, they have a plan.

Yeah, right.

Please forgive me for insulting your intelligence.

When is Dr. Gogue stepping down?

Good question because I've seen nothing to indicate he is going to leave. Auburn has never been in better condition.... campus is beautiful and academic ratings of the various schools is very good for a state university that get's under-funded every year.

When is Dr. Gogue stepping down?

Good question because I've seen nothing to indicate he is going to leave. Auburn has never been in better condition.... campus is beautiful and academic ratings of the various schools is very good for a state university that get's under-funded every year.

Yeah. I thought I read, some time back, there was a definite date for his retiring. I am not the best with google but spent time trying to find out more about him stepping down. I didn't find anything.

EDIT......Just read on another Auburn message board (BING this time and it was Auburn Undercover board) ) that Dr. Gogue had his contract extended through 2017. Our academics have improved under him while our athletics have suffered. Kind of bums me out, if this is true, about the 2017 thing.

Mrs Jacobs? Is that you?

Please tell Jay we're not happy with the state of AU athletics and feel he is in over his head.

Because most want things to improve, and disagree with how things are being run, IT makes us no less lovers of AU.

You seem to have every corner of our concerns covered with outrage at our opinions?

I am Yet to hear your plan for pushing for change. It is like watching ice cream melt on the sidewalk and we can do nothing about it. But you, Mrs Jacobs, keep telling us to stop agonizing and continue to mindlessly follow. So, best I can tell, your idea involves pixie dust, unicorns, and magic red slippers... And continue to support your husband while we continue to agonize.

Tigerbelle needs to have complete transparancy. What is her connection to AU baseball or athletics. Son plays? Husband coaches? By the way it is ok to have those connections and defend those players and coaches based on a personal connection. Your staunch support gives the air of something more than a regular fan.

Tigerbelle needs to have complete transparancy. What is her connection to AU baseball or athletics. Son plays? Husband coaches? By the way it is ok to have those connections and defend those players and coaches based on a personal connection. Your staunch support gives the air of something more than a regular fan.

I doubt that her son plays for Pawloski. The few parents/players I've heard comment on our head coach are very much less than complimentary.

Mrs Jacobs? Is that you?

Please tell Jay we're not happy with the state of AU athletics and feel he is in over his head.

Because most want things to improve, and disagree with how things are being run, IT makes us no less lovers of AU.

You seem to have every corner of our concerns covered with outrage at our opinions?

I am Yet to hear your plan for pushing for change. It is like watching ice cream melt on the sidewalk and we can do nothing about it. But you, Mrs Jacobs, keep telling us to stop agonizing and continue to mindlessly follow. So, best I can tell, your idea involves pixie dust, unicorns, and magic red slippers... And continue to support your husband while we continue to agonize.

This is completely tongue in cheek. It is meant to only reflect my rancor about the state of affairs in the AD and poke Belle for telling us to quit discussing things on a discussion board.

Mrs Jacobs? Is that you?

This is completely tongue in cheek. It is meant to only reflect my rancor about the state of affairs in the AD and poke Belle for telling us to quit discussing things on a discussion board.

A good laugh is sometimes necessary to bring levity to a situation. Lord knows with JJ's leadership we need to laugh.

The fact of the matter despite the horrid record, there is not enough money to replace another coach. JJ is aware of the situation at hand; losing football, basketball, and baseball teams are killing morale on campus, but the problem in baseball and basketball are one in the same. Auburn has regulated itself from recruiting in the AAU circles, and the coaches we hired to bring these Auburn teams into prominence have failed.

The fact of the matter despite the horrid record, there is not enough money to replace another coach. JJ is aware of the situation at hand; losing football, basketball, and baseball teams are killing morale on campus, but the problem in baseball and basketball are one in the same. Auburn has regulated itself from recruiting in the AAU circles, and the coaches we hired to bring these Auburn teams into prominence have failed.

I tend to agree that you can't just keep handing out contract buyouts, but Pawlaski (sp) is in fifth year so the remaining contract should be as low as it every is going to be. Barbee, while the team seams to be a wreck almost has to come back for at least one more year based on contract buyout alone.

I believe the point many of us are making is that our problems start and end with decisions JJ has made. By his past decisions, does anybody really think JJ can hire a competent HC? Let's be honest, we have Gus because Coach Chiz hired him to be our O.C.. JJ didn't have a thing to do with Gus coming to Auburn the first time around. These reasons are why I am dumbfounded as to how JJ is still in the position he is in. Never in my life did I think the people that matter at Auburn would accept being where we are, with our entire athletic programs, as a whole. By not making changes, at the top, this tells me we are just accepting how low we have sunk. We may not like it, we may want better, but we aren't going to make any change to try and right the ship. It makes me shake my head every time I think about it.

I believe the point many of us are making is that our problems start and end with decisions JJ has made. By his past decisions, does anybody really think JJ can hire a competent HC? Let's be honest, we have Gus because Coach Chiz hired him to be our O.C.. JJ didn't have a thing to do with Gus coming to Auburn the first time around. These reasons are why I am dumbfounded as to how JJ is still in the position he is in. Never in my life did I think the people that matter at Auburn would accept being where we are, with our entire athletic programs, as a whole. By not making changes, at the top, this tells me we are just accepting how low we have sunk. We may not like it, we may want better, but we aren't going to make any change to try and right the ship. It makes me shake my head every time I think about it.

I agree completely; I was not trying to say I was for JJ keeping his job. He makes Auburn money, and that is why he still has a job. He is also well liked by the Letterman Club members and other influential members. I was just trying to say that many of Auburn's problems are self made. If we can't recruit in the AAU (due to a ban we placed on ourselves), then we won't have access to more players. JJ hired coaches that would "turn around the programs," and they simply have not had the qualifications to do so. It is a sad state of affairs that does not have an immediate fix. The situation at hand is that Auburn simply does not have the money to get new coaches.

Jay Jacobs has a ceiling when tasked with searching, evaluating, and hiring a head coach, period. Auburn Athletics as a whole will never "shoot for the stars" and grab one as long as JJ is in charge. He just can not hire a big time/big name coach. Our athletic programs have been unstable for far too long, and have become inconsistant to non-existant in some cases lately.

The facilities are there, the fan support is there, the money is there, the advertising/marketing/exposure is there. I can't find one excuse why Auburn University can't compete at the level that our other SEC brothers are consistantly competing at today.

Auburn is a special place, and true Family atmosphere we are all proud to be a part of - I just can not bring myself to stop purchasing my season tickets or to stop taking my family to sporting events, patronizing the local buisnesses when I'm in town, and being present to watch live sporting events. Cheering and encouraging Auburn athletics has been a part of my life since I was a kid at home with mom & dad. It's a tradition that am trying to hand down to my kids. It's just a part of my life that I will never give up.

I was just trying to say that many of Auburn's problems are self made. If we can't recruit in the AAU (due to a ban we placed on ourselves), then we won't have access to more players. JJ hired coaches that would "turn around the programs," and they simply have not had the qualifications to do so. It is a sad state of affairs that does not have an immediate fix. The situation at hand is that Auburn simply does not have the money to get new coaches.

All of the above assertions are completely false, excepting the statement with regard to the coaches not having the qualifications to be successful. There are no self imposed recruiting bans in baseball. We have access to every high school and junior college player on the planet. The situation is not sad, it's infuriating but it does have an immediate fix. Auburn has more than enough money in the athletic coffers to hire a new and successful (current Samford) coach.

I was just trying to say that many of Auburn's problems are self made. If we can't recruit in the AAU (due to a ban we placed on ourselves), then we won't have access to more players. JJ hired coaches that would "turn around the programs," and they simply have not had the qualifications to do so. It is a sad state of affairs that does not have an immediate fix. The situation at hand is that Auburn simply does not have the money to get new coaches.

All of the above assertions are completely false, excepting the statement with regard to the coaches not having the qualifications to be successful. There are no self imposed recruiting bans in baseball. We have access to every high school and junior college player on the planet. The situation is not sad, it's infuriating but it does have an immediate fix. Auburn has more than enough money in the athletic coffers to hire a new and successful (current Samford) coach.

Ditto! There's plenty of money to buy out any and all coaches that we'd care to buy out and to replace them with new coaches. A percentage of income every year is placed in a separate account just for buyout contingencies and that pot has plenty in it. Also, how the fiction got started that we're somehow self imposing recruiting restrictions in baseball is beyond me. There's no such restrictions on baseball recruiting.

The AAU basketball restriction is that we can't recruit through ONE AAU coach, that's Mark Komara in Huntsville. We can still recruit players on his team, we just have to go through their high school coaches instead of Komara. Hardly the back-breaker that the excuse makers claim it to be.

Archived