Butch Thompson Heads to Auburn as Head Baseball Coach

Confirmed: Butch Thompson named Auburn Head Baseball Coach

635790397647753495-CBGISIORPXCGRKG.20131217185907.jpg

The Mississippi State baseball team now has a big hole to fill. After weeks of speculation, Butch Thompson is officially joining Auburn’s baseball team as its head coach. Rumors had been spreading for a while, but it was made official this morning. Robbie Faulk of 247sports. com sent out this tweet earlier today.

Robbie Faulk @robbiefaulk247

MSU pitching coach Butch Thompson is expected to be named the next head coach at Auburn. Informed the team this morning.

Mississippi State assistant coach Butch Thompson has agreed in principle to be the next head coach at Auburn, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

The veteran assistant coach in the SEC brings a wealth of experience leading pitching staffs and recruiting top 10 classes at several programs in the south.

A key ingredient to Mississippi State's rebuilding project and its run to the national finals in 2013, he also helped build successful programs at Georgia, Auburn and Mississippi State as an assistant.

He worked at Auburn from 2006 through 2008 and built three recruiting classes ranked in the top 18, including a top 5 class in 2007 that led to coach John Pawlowski's trip to a regional in 2010. Thompson has coached 22 All-Americans on the Division I level.

Thompson was named Baseball America's assistant coach of the year in 2014 and has developed 23 non-drafted players out of high school into draftees in college. His pitching staff led the SEC with a 2.58 ERA, which was the second-best mark in the nation in 2012.

Thompson is a familiar face in Alabama, where he has coached at Huntingdon College (1993) in Montgomery, Birmingham-Southern (1994-96, 1998-2001), Georgia (2002-05) and Auburn (2006-08) before joining John Cohen at MSU in 2009.

http://www.al.com/sp...son_agrees.html

"Nobody deserves to have that type of opportunity more than a Butch Thompson," John Cohen said. "We’re cheering for him. We don’t want to lose him. I’ve told many people at Auburn, you’d be crazy not to hire this guy. But I’m going to be the happiest guy in the world if you don’t."

Cohen and Thompson talked in right field for about five minutes after Mississippi State concluded its Bulldog World Series on Wednesday. Thompson has been with Cohen since 2009. He became associate head coach in 2012.

"We’re all cheering for Butch," Cohen said. "Butch has been like a brother and we want what’s best for him and his career and his family. We’ll see what happens."

Thompson would be the second head coach in the Southeastern Conference that was once a pitching coach under Cohen. Gary Henderson, Kentucky's coach, was Cohen's pitching coach in Lexington.

"If he did get the position at Auburn, my last two pitching coaches would be head coaches in the Southeastern Conference, so really proud of that and proud of those guys," Cohen said.

http://www.clarionle...mpson/74366204/

11423071.jpeg

Auburn announced Thursday it hired Thompson as its head baseball coach, bringing back the man who served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Tigers from 2006-08. The 15-year SEC veteran spent the last seven years as Mississippi State's pitching coach and assistant coach as well as associate head coach the last three seasons.

"It's an opportunity to not lead out front, but to lead together; and for our current players, an opportunity to lift them up and embrace them," Thompson said.

"This is the opportunity of a lifetime to be the head baseball coach at Auburn University."

Jacobs said Thompson's Auburn connection was a bonus.

"That was not the criteria, but certainly with all the other attributes and experience that Butch brings to the job, his familiarity to Auburn was impressive, along with his experience in the Southeastern Conference," Jacobs said. "He's been at Georgia and Mississippi State as well. We believe this conference is unique, and it takes a unique person, and it was unquestionable that Butch possesses all those characteristics we think that a successful baseball coach in this league needs to have."

Thompson, who was to meet with his new team Thursday afternoon, said he welcomed the chance to return.

"It's a cliché to say it's being a part of something bigger than yourself, but I think it applies here," he said.

"To our baseball alumni and our fans, I want to encourage them that now is the time we can walk together. It's kind of a call to arms for this baseball program. We need them now more than ever. Auburn people respond well to that."

Thompson arrives for the final weeks of baseball recruiting.

"It's very important from the standpoint of what players do we have, what's still available," he said. "It's an opportunity to evaluate.

"The recruiting never stops. I do think it's given us time. Our next recruiting line in the sand is Nov. 11. Priority One is to take care of our current players, and No. 2 would be recruiting. Being able to be in place at this point will give us time to see if everybody is on board, if they're a match and still committed to Auburn baseball."

Jacobs said having Thompson on board for recruiting was important, "but the more important thing to me was having a leader for our current baseball team. When I went over there a couple of weeks ago and met with those guys for an hour and a half, they were a little confused and uncertain. With as hard as this team has worked with their commitment for Auburn, I wanted to get somebody here that would be a natural leader for them."

Jacobs said he was pleasantly surprised by the interest in the program during a time in which few baseball coaches are hired.

"We had a great pool of candidates," Jacobs said. "It was a great and thorough search. We had a lot of people involved in it, we got a lot of people's opinions on the best way to move this baseball program forward. When all the interviews were concluded, the committee supported Butch unanimously, along with the people in this athletic department who visited with him and the people outside of the athletic department who were providing me with input throughout the process."

Butch Thompson's coaching career

1993 Assistant Coach, Huntingdon (Ala.) College

1994-96 Assistant Coach, Birmingham-Southern

1997 Head Coach, Jefferson (Ala.) State Community College

1998-01 Assistant Coach, Birmingham-Southern

2002-05 Assistant Coach, Georgia

2006-08 Assistant Coach, Auburn

2009-12 Assistant Coach, Mississippi State

2012-2015 Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State

CR8duVmUAAEyGD4.jpg

CR8n-aDWwAABKIX.jpg

http://www.auburntig.../102215aaa.html

"Proud and happy for Butch Thompson, and there is no one more deserving of this opportunity" — Mississippi State's John Cohen on Auburn hire

@AUGoldMine

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: Butch Thompson has "owned the state of Alabama" from a recruiting standpoint

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: Astonishing number of former players that called Jacobs to recommend Butch Thompson

Auburn baseball coach Butch Thompson calls himself "battle-tested" w/ SEC experience

Auburn baseball coach Butch Thompson says job is "more of a calling, than a desire"

Auburn baseball coach Butch Thompson met with team before press conference, told them it was going to be OK, referring to recent adversity

Auburn coach Butch Thompson: "We will not give this season away"makes it clear he has high expectations for upcoming year

Auburn baseball coach Butch Thompson wanted to stay in SEC because "all of our schools are committed to baseball"

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: Butch Thompson 5-year contract, $350,000 a year, "lot of other stuff in there"

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: Decisions on current staff will be made by coach Thompson

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: Interviewed the 'cream of the crop' during process, wouldn't give # of how many face-to-face interviews he did

@wareagleextra

Jacobs says it wasn't all about Thompson's ability to poach players from Alabama, though Jacobs jokes he was sick of HS talent leaving state

Jacobs says they started the search process last week. "It was pleasantly surprising how many people were interested in this job in October"

Thompson: "I understand skill. 97 is a hard thing to teach."

Thompson on knowing what an SEC player looks like when recruiting: "The brain is still the most important tool."

Thompson: "Pitching and recruiting is what I built my career on. ... I can't become the head coach at Auburn and stop doing my strengths"

Thompson: "Butch Thompson's not Auburn baseball. Auburn baseball is bigger than everybody in this room."

When would Thompson like to have his staff on board? "Yesterday." but really: "I don't, for all the right reasons." Focus on AU players 1st

Thompson, jokingly: "There's going to be some interesting conversations (w/ AU players) on why they came here and not Miss St"

Thompson: "I am human. ... God's got this and I'm good with it. In my heart I feel I'm more prepared for this job being inside this league."

Thompson said it took something "very, very special" to leave Miss. St. "Auburn baseball is just that," he adds.

Thompson: Believes all the ingredients are here. Commitment to get to the College World Series are here

Thompson refers to his daughters as "Strike 1, Strike 2 and Strike 3"

@AUBlog

Capture.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These fluid situations though lol. I get he's a great recruiter, but for someone who doesn't know as much about baseball coaches, do we think he'll be a good head coach?

My boss played college baseball with Thompson. He said Thompson is a great guy and great baseball coach. He says AU hit a homerun :-\ by hiring him. He said if the AD will let Thompson do his thing AU will be very competitive quickly and will have a great pitching staff.

I think it's a great hire considering where we are right now and the fact that he's an SEC guy who has a good track record (pitching/recruiting) and knows AU from being here in the past as an assistant.

Welcome Home, Coach Thompson and War Eagle!

War Damn and welcome back Coach. Come back home Gabe!

First thing he needs to do is show up at Pearl Jam tonight and get introduced and let CBP give him a big hug. No other coaching hire has created a buzz like the hiring of CBP. I think he will get instant credibility with those who don't follow baseball (those who follow baseball know he is a great guy and this is a great hire) if CBP says it was a great hire and glad to have him join the A family. The tomorrow he can go to work with hiring his staff and recruiting.

First thing he needs to do is show up at Pearl Jam tonight and get introduced and let CBP give him a big hug. No other coaching hire has created a buzz like the hiring of CBP. I think he will get instant credibility with those who don't follow baseball (those who follow baseball know he is a great guy and this is a great hire) if CBP says it was a great hire and glad to have him join the A family. The tomorrow he can go to work with hiring his staff and recruiting.

Agreed!

My boss played college baseball with Thompson. He said Thompson is a great guy and great baseball coach. He says AU hit a homerun :-\ by hiring him. He said if the AD will let Thompson do his thing AU will be very competitive quickly and will have a great pitching staff.

Genuine question, but how would the AD prevent/prohibit his on field success?

Genuine question, but how would the AD prevent/prohibit his on field success?

Trolling already before the first page is full. At least nobody has suggested that we should have hired Dunn and that JJ made a big mistake.

Otherwise, good hire and looking forward to seeing what he can do with our #10 recruiting class and 8 starters from last season.

I just came here to report it as well. Great hire comsidering the situation we are in.

So not just a great hire, just one considering the situation AU is in? What would have been a great hire regardless of the situation AU was in?

I just came here to report it as well. Great hire comsidering the situation we are in.

So not just a great hire, just one considering the situation AU is in? What would have been a great hire regardless of the situation AU was in?

So what "situation are we in" ?

We have a team with 8 regulars and a couple very good pitchers coming back from a team that went to an NCAA regional...and a #10 ranked recruiting class coming in. Seems to me that he came into a very good situation....great facility, good roster and pretty good fan support. So what's the negative to the AU coaching job?

Auburn Baseball Season Ticket Holders,

Please help us in welcoming new Auburn Head Baseball Coach Butch Thompson to the Auburn Family. You are invited to a reception in the courtside lounge of Auburn Arena this evening from 6:00 - 7:00 pm CST.

Widely regarded as one of the premier pitching coaches in the country, Coach Thompson was named the 2014 Baseball America and American Baseball Coaches Association National Assistant Coach of the Year while at Mississippi State.

“We are thrilled to introduce Coach Butch Thompson as our next head baseball coach,” Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs said. “Throughout the interview process with Coach Thompson, it became clear he was the right man to lead Auburn’s student-athletes now and into the future.

“Coach Thompson is widely known and respected as one of the best men in college baseball. He has an outstanding track record as an elite recruiter, and he has been recognized as the best pitching coach in the country. His track record of developing players who have gone on to highly successful careers in baseball is second to none.”

Please help us in welcoming Coach Thompson back to the Plains.

Auburn Baseball Press Release

War Eagle,

Auburn Athletic Department

An attractive family...nice to have him back at AU....and perhaps some stability for the program now.

Archived