Brandon Marcello joins the AU 247 site

ellitor

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Brandon-Marcello-joins-AuburnUndercover-46365112

Brandon Marcello joins AuburnUndercover

Awarding-winning sports writer Brandon Marcello is joining AuburnUndercover as editor and senior writer, effective August 1.

"We're extremely excited to have Brandon join our team," AuburnUndercover publisherRonnie Sanders said. "Phillip Marshall, Keith Niebuhr, Ryan Black, Evan McCullers and now Brandon give AuburnUndercover one of the most talented staffs in the industry. This hire also demonstrates our commitment to providing Auburn fans the best, most thorough and most in-depth coverage available anywhere.”

Marcello’s arrival will be just in time for the start of pre-season practices for Auburn football, which will ramp up throughout the month of August with in-depth coverage from the AuburnUndercover staff.

“I’m excited to join and help lead the best group of reporters covering Auburn on the planet,” Marcello said. “We’re going to work our rears off to provide you the best coverage of Auburn sports, which is something every subscriber should expect every single day. Regardless if it’s late at night or early in the morning, we’re going to provide our readers unique and interactive content you will not find anywhere else. I’m so proud to be part of this next exciting chapter for AuburnUndercover and follow in the footsteps of Phillip Marshall, the dean of Auburn sports coverage, to lead our team coverage of everything Auburn. The best news of all? Phillip is not going anywhere. His deep wealth of knowledge and sources will continue to help define our website and provide you exclusive information you will not find anywhere else.

“AuburnUndercover is the place to be for Auburn coverage. No one will match us. No one will catch us.

“Let’s get to work.”

Marshall will move into the role of columnist and editor emeritus, where he will continue to provide his daily thoughts on Auburn athletics, the signature insider “For Your Eyes Only” and selected feature stories.

“There comes a time for everyone when it's time to take a step back, and after almost 47 years in this business I love, that time has come for me,” Marshall said. “I am beyond thrilled that my friend Brandon Marcello will join our staff and spearhead our team coverage. I look forward to continuing to provide my columns and more. I fully expect Brandon, whose work covering Auburn has been beyond outstanding, to take our coverage to another level.”

Marcello was named Alabama Sports Writer of the Year in 2014. Marshall has won the award twice. Combined, they have won more than 40 statewide writing awards.

Senior Auburn recruiting analyst Keith Niebuhr was also elated with Marcello’s arrival at AuburnUndercover.

“I could go into his quality of work,” Niebuhr said, “the forward-thinking stories, the creativity -- and all of that with Brandon is great. But what really stands out is his tireless work ethic. In 20 years of doing this, I can honestly say I’ve never seen someone who works harder. What that tells you is that this is someone who puts, you, the reader, first. As a subscriber, that is truly something to get excited about with this hiring.”

Marcello has been covering Auburn since 2013, including a stint with AL.com, and previously covered Mississippi State from 2010-12 for The Clarion-Ledger. He covered high school sports and the Arkansas Razorbacks from 2008 through 2010 for Northwest Arkansas Newspapers.

Brandon started his career in Arkansas as the managing editor of a bi-weekly newspaper, The Nashville News, before working as a government reporter for The Morning News in Rogers, Ark. for a short time in 2007. He has won several regional and national awards for his work, including the state of Alabama's writer of the year award from the National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association. He is also an avid believer in staying ahead of the digital curve as a former online sports editor for WholeHogSports.com and other products he developed with Northwest Arkansas Newspapers as an online sports editor. Brandon has followed the SEC for most of his life, from Mississippi to Arkansas as a teen, and will never forget covering the improbable Prayer at Jordan-Hare and Kick Six in a span of 14 days during Auburn's memorable run to an SEC championship in 2013. Brandon lives in Auburn with his wife Amanda and their ferocious guard dog Lambeau.

You can follow Brandon on Twitter, @bmarcello.

Despite what some on here think about Marcello, I think he does good work.  This is a good addition to the lineup at Auburn Undercover.

13 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Despite what some on here think about Marcello, I think he does good work.  This is a good addition to the lineup anuburn Undercover.

He did before Crepea came around and since leaving Crepea behind he has gotten much better. I watch his youtube channel every now and then to get some Info I didnT see on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

He didn't last long at AJC. Count me as not a fan of his work. He spent a couple of years digging at AU to get clicks at al.com, so I would be just find with him finding his way out of AU at some point. 

43 minutes ago, jared52 said:

He didn't last long at AJC. Count me as not a fan of his work. He spent a couple of years digging at AU to get clicks at al.com, so I would be just find with him finding his way out of AU at some point. 

He didn't last long because he got a much better gig. He's the editor in charge of the AU 247 site. So far he's been good. I'm not going to hold his al.scum days against him. Al.scum management requires their writers to do a lot of click bait pieces.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He didn't last long because he got a much better gig. He's the editor in charge of the AU 247 site. So far he's been good. I'm not going to hold his al.scum days against him. Al.scum management requires their writers to do a lot of click bait pieces.

Fair enough. I don't pay for any of the AU sites so it really doesn't matter to me. Good for him getting further in his career.

Archived