Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Vanderbilt....

JMR

11 hours ago, JMR said:
  • Vandy has two former state champion wrestlers in their interior offensive line, and their mat skills were put to good use in the game. I lost count of the times I saw one of their offensive linemen grab an AU defender and pull him to the position they wanted. I’m not sure, but I don’t recall a single holding penalty being called on Vandy.
  • On the subject of holding calls, I believe four were called on Auburn. One of those, the one on Alex Kozan, was a solid call. The ones on Stanton Truitt, Austin Golson, and Ryan Davis were (IMO) ridiculous. Two of those negated big plays by the Auburn offense and were factors in the game. The one on Ryan Davis was called by an official 20 yards away.

I don't remember single holding call on Vandy.  In fact in the last several games the officials have not been calling many holding calls on Auburn's opponents.

See, the second point above is what make me wonder about the "conspiracy theories."  How come Auburn is suddenly called for holding "coincidentally" when it is big momentum play for Auburn.  I wouldn't mind the bogus holding calls so much if they were not on game changing plays.  The fact that they call a bogus holding penalty on Auburn at opportune times makes me wonder....

How can an official 20 yards away be allowed to make a holding call?

11 hours ago, JMR said:

On the blocked field goal....Cunningham timed his jump perfectly, something I doubt he could do once in a dozen tries. Impressive to me on that play was the fact that holder Tyler Stovall immediately went to the ball and tackled the Vandy player trying to pick it up. Usually on a blocked kick, players are looking around for the ball, but Stovall knew exactly where it was and got there quickly.

I trust your judgement on this one, coach.  When I watched it the first couple of times, I thought he was offsides.  You keyed in on a detail I did not think about: Tyler Stovall's quick thinking and reaction.  Hats off to Stovall for saving the day, or it could have been worse...

I just didn't see the intensity the team has been playing with all year.  The Ole Miss game took a lot out of them and, as has been noted, Vandy had a long time to prepare for them.  I certainly hope Bubba can come back for UGA, we need all hands on deck for what I think will be a big challenge next weekend.  

• Like 1

Thanks again, Coach! By the end of the game, I felt like Atkinson and Neal were revelations. That was really sweet to see.

On the D Davis hit, it was obvious the moment it happened. You just cannot drop your head. In the big picture, that hit was more dangerous to him than it was to the receiver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jenn4AU said:

The thing I know I saw on that play was that it should not have counted as Vandy did not get the snap off in time. Should have been delay of game. :angry:

I noticed that too and was even able to say it in-game. 

34 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Thanks again, Coach! By the end of the game, I felt like Atkinson and Neal were revelations. That was really sweet to see.

On the D Davis hit, it was obvious the moment it happened. You just cannot drop your head. In the big picture, that hit was more dangerous to him than it was to the receiver.

Thanks, DC. I hate the ejection part of the rule, because it is sometimes a judgment call. But what a lot of people don't recognize is that the rule is for the safety of BOTH players.  Do wish it was just a "personal foul" call, and not automatic ejection. I think there are times when it is just unavoidable, and not intentional at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMR said:

Thanks, DC. I hate the ejection part of the rule, because it is sometimes a judgment call. But what a lot of people don't recognize is that the rule is for the safety of BOTH players.  Do wish it was just a "personal foul" call, and not automatic ejection. I think there are times when it is just unavoidable, and not intentional at all. 

I also hate the 15 yarder even if the "targeting" is overruled.  The only reason the flag was thrown was targeting. If it is overturned then there shouldn't be a 15 yard penalty for "hard but clean hit". To me it makes no sense. What is the 15 yard penalty for if the call is reviewed and determined its not targeting?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JMR said:
Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Vanderbilt….

• Vandy has two former state champion wrestlers in their interior offensive line, and their mat skills were put to good use in the game. I lost count of the times I saw one of their offensive linemen grab an AU defender and pull him to the position they wanted. I’m not sure, but I don’t recall a single holding penalty being called on Vandy.

Excellent and possibly much misunderstood point.

The "uncalled holding penalties" that so many here saw, may have been perfectly legal

wrestling moves.

On the targeting call, it did not help with Davis that the Vandy receiver had pulled up AND Davis appeared to be a good 4 steps away when it was clear the pass was incomplete. 

At least that is how it looked to me.Targeting or not it seemed to be a late hit on a defenseless player.

Edited by SumterAubie

4 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It appeared to me that due to the angle of the collision, it made that hit pretty much impossible to make without having your head in his chest.

I thought he lead with his shoulder as well as could be expected.

So, what is the coaching staff telling D Davis to do differently?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Does Auburn not have an answer for the short quick passes?

This is the second week in a row that the defense has gotten torched by quick short passes.  Vanderbilt put 221 yards passing on this defense, that is the most they've had all season and since last season's opener.  Chad Kelly set a school record against Auburn's defense.  Will Auburn be able to stop the bleeding?  I didn't see much of an adjustment Saturday.

THIS!

40 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

It appeared to me that due to the angle of the collision, it made that hit pretty much impossible to make without having your head in his chest.

I thought he lead with his shoulder as well as could be expected.

So, what is the coaching staff telling D Davis to do differently?

The issue is D Davis lowered his head and lead with the crown of his helmet.  Had he kept his head up, it would not have been targeting, possibly still a penalty for late hit but the targeting was for leading with the crown of his helmet and to me, that is clearly what he did.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

The issue is D Davis lowered his head and lead with the crown of his helmet.  Had he kept his head up, it would not have been targeting, possibly still a penalty for late hit but the targeting was for leading with the crown of his helmet and to me, that is clearly what he did.

I appreciate the response, but that does not answer the question.

The receiver had lept into the air and was descending while D Davis is on the ground coming up.  From what I gleaned in these pages, the tackler is to put his head in front of the ball handler to make a more solid contact and attempt to dislodge the ball.  The angle of contact was such that I don't think you can make that play without having the head stuck  in his chest.  Now assuming that he did not have opportunity to pull up, and the call was not late contact, how is he supposed to make that hit?  

Edited by AUGoo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I also hate the 15 yarder even if the "targeting" is overruled.  The only reason the flag was thrown was targeting. If it is overturned then there shouldn't be a 15 yard penalty for "hard but clean hit". To me it makes no sense. What is the 15 yard penalty for if the call is reviewed and determined its not targeting?

I am pretty sure they changed the rule this year. Now the targeting is automatically reviewed and if it is overturned then there is no penalty. The only thing I will say on Davis targeting is that I could agree with a late hit because he seemed to have time to avoid it, but if you look at the hit his face mask is in the players chest and there is no contact of his helmet and the players head. I saw on another sight where someone posted 33 actual pics of holding against AU in the Vandy game. Also I saw a player get called on jumping the center during a FG  in the uga/KY game so why was Vandy's allowed.  WDE

• Like 1

In interviews after the game the kid said he jumped over the center.  Watching the game he clearly jumped over the center.   I would love to hear from the officiating office on the call

The rule has two parts. One is targeting. The other is striking with the crown of the head. DD did not target, but he struck with the crown of his helmet. Either one will get you ejected.

• Like 1

Love your insight as always coach!

While I, like most Auburn fans, was incredibly disappointed in what should have been a pretty decent ESPN crew (I wasn't able to do the radio Saturday as I had to stop and start the game some with kids needing attention) one thing that Cunningham kept pointing out (dead horse, yes, but true nonetheless) was the fact that up to the red zone, Auburn was cranking it...some NASCAR even.  Then, once they hit the redzone, they inexplicably run slower, different plays than what was working, substitute, etc, giving the opponent (in this case Vandy) the chance to collect themselves, regroup, substitute, etc.  I don't think this is the first game AU's done that...even during this great run they're having.

I get that RZ offense can be a little different, especially in the passing game, due to the field of play getting shorter but it seems to me that if they're gassing that defense, they need to keep it going.  I think the RZ woe's would not be as pronounced.  At least "run it til they stop it" as they did in 2013...

'course, I could be wrong, but that was just my observation.  Or rather the master of the dead horse's observation that I happen to agree with...

The defense seems to be a bit gassed themselves.  Maybe injuries are creeping in or mental fatigue.  11 a.m. home games ALWAYS stink for Auburn so I'm glad for the victory but I"m hoping that the South's Oldest Rivalry will put some pep back in their step this weekend.

War Eagle - Beat Georgia!

9 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

In the big picture, that hit was more dangerous to him than it was to the receiver.

It wasn't dangerous to the receiver at all.  As far as the receiver goes, it was a clean hit to the chest.  They were only able to call it targeting because his helmet made contact with said chest... which is legit by the letter of the rule, but BS by the fact that they have waived off several blatant helmet to helmet targeting calls. Ever since last years A&M game, the whole targeting rule has been nothing but a bad joke to me. If they can let Seals-Jones off after putting a kid in the hospital, then they have no right to call targeting on anything that isn't intentional helmet to helmet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wallaka said:

From what I've read, you can jump the gap between linemen. Looks like that's what he did. 

there is no gap. their ankles are interlocked.. he went over the centers helmet..

9 hours ago, alexava said:

there is no gap. their ankles are interlocked.. he went over the centers helmet..

One of those fluke plays ...need to teach DCarlson to kick into him without getting hurt- kinda looked like he swung his leg left...I know that's an extremely valuable leg, but was 6 in from being roughing kicker

Edited by WDE Matty

On 11/7/2016 at 4:40 PM, DyeCampAlum said:

The rule has two parts. One is targeting. The other is striking with the crown of the head. DD did not target, but he struck with the crown of his helmet. Either one will get you ejected.

So how do you explain the $puat game, I think last week, where Foster put the crown of his helmet in a return guy's earhole in front of God and everybody.......no call because the player was not "defenseless".

2 hours ago, gman87 said:

So how do you explain the $puat game, I think last week, where Foster put the crown of his helmet in a return guy's earhole in front of God and everybody.......no call because the player was not "defenseless".

I guess you missed the part where bama doesn't play under the same rule book as the rest of us.

How do you explain Ricky Seals-Jones putting a player that was defenseless in the hospital and not even getting a slap on the wrist? The key is that the refs have NO CLUE how to properly enforce these two rules consistently. 

15 hours ago, gman87 said:

Edit: I found a new, slower motion video of the Wilson hit, and it should have been called. That one happened at lightning speed, but he definitely struck with the crown of his helmet. Not as blatant as Davis, who had the chance to set up his hit, but you're risking your own life when you put your head down like that.

Easily? First, are you talking about Wilson and not Foster? Wilson definitely hit Noil in the face, but both guys were running at full speed -- and Wilson got his head in front of Noil. I agree he lowered his helmet, but he did not strike with the crown of it. I just watched it in slow motion, and I'll agree it's a close call.

Our guy had an easy target and nailed him in the shoulder (fine) but definitely lowered his head and struck with the crown of his helmet in doing so.

Edited by DyeCampAlum
correcting myself