2017 QB thread (Merged)

aubiefifty

On 1/26/2017 at 7:23 AM, I_M4_AU said:

And Cole finally gets to see what JFIII can do while the starter in multiple games against all type of defenses.  Can't wait.

Sorry I'm not the guru you are and can look at a guy and say he can't throw before he actually does it, I mean following your knowledgeable posts about football and such.....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Sorry I'm not the guru you are and can look at a guy and say he can't throw before he actually does it, I mean following your knowledgeable posts about football and such.....

Lighten up Cole, just a little off season humor.  

• 1 month later...

Tap the brakes on hyping new Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham

Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com

Trenton Kirklin no doubt means well. Of course the private quarterback coach who used to work with Jarrett Stidham wants the best for his old pupil in his new home.

It's just that the last thing Stidham needs as Auburn starts spring practice is anyone suggesting, let alone expecting, that he'll lead the Tigers to a championship and win the Heisman Trophy along the way.

Yet that's exactly what Kirklin did. He engaged in the kind of irrational exuberance that does nothing but fuel unfair expectations for a young man who hasn't taken a meaningful college snap in two years.

With Auburn starting spring drills Tuesday, Kirklin said this about Stidham to my AL.com colleague Wesley Sinor:

"He's pumped. I expect nothing short of a championship and a Heisman. I know that's out there and I don't care.

"I say that because if he ties mental, emotional and physical together, he has that X-factor along with it. That's the equation. That's what makes a special quarterback."

Whoa. No, seriously. Whoa. As in stop that horse before he plunges off a cliff.

Is Jarrett Stidham Auburn's missing puzzle piece?

Is Jarrett Stidham Auburn's missing puzzle piece?

If there's one player Auburn fans are excited about as the Tigers open spring practice today, it's Jarrett Stidham.

Stidham hasn't even won the starting quarterback job at Auburn yet, and Gus Malzahn said Tuesday it's unlikely the Tigers will name a starter at that position during the spring. Stidham didn't win the starting job as a true freshman at Baylor in 2015 and took over behind center only after Seth Russell got hurt.

Stidham did some good things, then he got hurt. You could say the same about Auburn's primary starter last year, Sean White. Malzahn said White's not recovered enough from his injuries to start spring practice.

That should mean more reps for Stidham in this crowded competition, but it's a long way from here to Atlanta on the first Saturday in December or New York the following weekend.

It's foolish to "expect" a championship of any player in the SEC who doesn't wear crimson. It's unfair and unwise to "expect" a Heisman from any player at any school, Alabama included.

Kirklin's expectations for Stidham are even more outrageous given the reality of Auburn's situation. The Tigers are 23-16 overall and 11-13 in the SEC the last three years. They haven't beaten Alabama or Georgia since 2013.

They have a new offensive coordinator in Chip Lindsey, who has to construct a more balanced attack while finding a starting quarterback who can produce and stay healthy. He also has to develop a rapport with Malzahn that works on game day.

Projected Auburn depth chart to open spring practice

Projected Auburn depth chart to open spring practice

Projected Auburn depth chart as the Tigers open spring practice

Championship hopes? Sure. Championship expectations? Did we mention who's won the last three SEC titles and four of the last five? It's not Auburn, although the Tigers did keep Alabama from winning five straight.

It's important to note that Kirklin's lofty expectations for Stidham are coming from outside the program, not from within. It's a compliment to Malzahn that outsiders believe in his ability to turn the right quarterback into a championship quarterback, as he did with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

It's also a burden. For different reasons, Jeremy Johnson couldn't live up to it, and White hasn't been healthy enough to become the "program changer" Trent Dilfer predicted.

Stidham's obviously talented, but it remains to be seen whether he can have anywhere close to the impact at Auburn that Newton or Marshall did. Before making any bold predictions, it would be wiser to wait and see how he performs against Kevin Steele's defense from now through the April 8 spring game.

Oh, and before he competes with Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold for the Heisman, the rest of us should let him go about the business of beating out White and the other quarterbacks for the starting job without putting him on a pedestal.

If he does produce a championship and a Heisman, Auburn will build him a statue soon enough.

A reality check article. I like it. I think Stidham will be good but I see to many people crowning him as the second coming of CAM.  Lets see what he does this spring and how he plays in a few games before we go overboard. Remember he will also be playing behind a completely rebuilt offensive line that has potential but also has not proven itself. I am a Sunshine Pumper to a point but right now it is more hype than reality, yes there is a lot of potential but at this time that is all it is potential.

Stidham is the man and will be QB1 but Sean will get a chance in the fall to prove he is no slouch.  Hopefully Woody will push Stidham this spring.  It will be good for both.  But don't count out Sean.  Inside I hope Jarrett just plain out plays everyone by so much you have to name him the starter immediately.

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think Gus learned his lesson with JJ6.

One might hope.

Think there might have been 2 or 3 available lessons there.

I agree. I hate it when QBs are compared to Cam. There is and will only be one Cam. Stidham is nothing like him in size or ability. 

And if everyone remember, Cam's signature moment was in the LSU game with his run for the TD in second half. That was his Heisman moment...and surely put us on the way to the Championship berth. Stidham has done nothing, and more than likely, if he has the IT factor, will show it somewhere down the line of games.

This is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I was wondering who #14 is in this video:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/247Sports/887150147572/0/auburn-oc-chip-lindsey-teaches-finer-points-of-quick-release-rpos-to-quarterbacks

1 - Barrett
15 - Queen
5 - JFIII
8 - Stidham
14??

4 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

This is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but I was wondering who #14 is in this video:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/247Sports/887150147572/0/auburn-oc-chip-lindsey-teaches-finer-points-of-quick-release-rpos-to-quarterbacks

1 - Barrett
15 - Queen
5 - JFIII
8 - Stidham
14??

Malik Willis would be my guess.

Yep don't care at all what anyone so called "qb whisperer" has to say anymore about ANY qb on our team or any other position for that matter. Only waiting til Sep.2.

I look forward to seeing Stidham and Barrett in action at the Spring game, but I mostly look forward to seeing what Lindsey can install prior to the first game.  That vanilla, predictable, one dimensional offense was hard to watch for a couple of years there, regardless of how many factors were involved in its utter ineptitude. 

Archived