How do you tip?

How Do You TIp?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you tip servers?

• Tip on the entire bill. More than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on the entire bill. Less than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on food only. More than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on food only. Less than 18% for good service.
    • I don't believe in tipping unless my server "earns" it.

I have been paying for a large group 15 - 20 sales people and the restaurant would automatically add a 15% gratuity and I've told the server that their service was great and I had intended to tip more but her boss had limited it to 15%.  Then I would give her another 10% and tell her to not let her boss sell her short.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2017 at 3:21 PM, TitanTiger said:

I don't figure it to the penny, but I look at the total amount and tack on a quick 20% calculated in my head for good service.  Never heard of not tipping on alcohol.  I agree with your point - the server didn't make the drinks, but they didn't make your entree or appetizer either.  They just bring all these items to the table and get you whatever else you want or need.  Does he subtract things like tea or soft drinks from the bill as well.  Because in many restaurants, the bar pours regular drinks like that as well.

I usually do 15 % in my head. That is what I leave for acceptable service. Could go higher or lower. My last two outings has been a little lower. 

On 5/30/2017 at 6:21 PM, Tigermike said:

I have been paying for a large group 15 - 20 sales people and the restaurant would automatically add a 15% gratuity and I've told the server that their service was great and I had intended to tip more but her boss had limited it to 15%.  Then I would give her another 10% and tell her to not let her boss sell her short.

I get a little miffed sometimes when the server doesn't alert me to an autograt, but I've learned to look for it in group settings. Cool that you have gone above and beyond for your server.

I forgot about the drinks part of the OP... yes, definitely tip on drinks/total bill. 

On 5/30/2017 at 3:21 PM, TitanTiger said:

I don't figure it to the penny, but I look at the total amount and tack on a quick 20% calculated in my head for good service.  Never heard of not tipping on alcohol.  I agree with your point - the server didn't make the drinks, but they didn't make your entree or appetizer either.  They just bring all these items to the table and get you whatever else you want or need.  Does he subtract things like tea or soft drinks from the bill as well.  Because in many restaurants, the bar pours regular drinks like that as well.

I don't think so. First time I've ever heard him say it in 30 years, honestly. Made me want to hide under the table. 

On 5/30/2017 at 5:21 PM, Tigermike said:

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I get a little miffed sometimes when the server doesn't alert me to an autograt, but I've learned to look for it in group settings. Cool that you have gone above and beyond for your server.

I forgot about the drinks part of the OP... yes, definitely tip on drinks/total bill. 

This is another interesting scenario. 

When I was a server, we had business groups come in all the time. Many times the menu was pre-fixed. As a server, you always wanted the big parties - only responsible for one table and guaranteed good money. All of my best nights ($500+ in tips) were big parties. 

The restaurant would include gratuity for groups. I think it was 18%. Some servers would purposefully neglect to mention this to the diners. Their argument was that it should be assumed in a big group, and they have a better chance of getting double tipped when they don't mention it. I strongly disagreed. No matter what, I always reminded the table that gratuity had been included, that I enjoyed sharing the evening with them, and to have a good night. I still got double tipped, and had the peace of mind knowing the extra money was because of my service, and not a mistake. 

In my experience as a diner, most servers won't mention it. I think it's bad form - and if they don't mention it, I won't tip extra. I'll stick with what's on the bill. That actually might be one of the only exceptions to my 20% rule.

35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is another interesting scenario. 

When I was a server, we had business groups come in all the time. Many times the menu was pre-fixed. As a server, you always wanted the big parties - only responsible for one table and guaranteed good money. All of my best nights ($500+ in tips) were big parties. 

The restaurant would include gratuity for groups. I think it was 18%. Some servers would purposefully neglect to mention this to the diners. Their argument was that it should be assumed in a big group, and they have a better chance of getting double tipped when they don't mention it. I strongly disagreed. No matter what, I always reminded the table that gratuity had been included, that I enjoyed sharing the evening with them, and to have a good night. I still got double tipped, and had the peace of mind knowing the extra money was because of my service, and not a mistake. 

In my experience as a diner, most servers won't mention it. I think it's bad form - and if they don't mention it, I won't tip extra. I'll stick with what's on the bill. That actually might be one of the only exceptions to my 20% rule.

Can't like this post enough.

NSFW - Language

Figured this was warranted. One of my favorite scenes in any movie, and what I like best about Tarantino films. Always taking every day occurrences, and turning them into philosophical discussions. Great way to develop characters. Great way to start a movie. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

NSFW - Language

Figured this was warranted. One of my favorite scenes in any movie, and what I like best about Tarantino films. Always taking every day occurrences, and turning them into philosophical discussions. Great way to develop characters. Great way to start a movie. 

Great movie 

Image result for reservoir dogs stuck in the middle gif

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's an ear in Michael Madsen's hand. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hear, hear.

:rimshot:

I've never seen the movie either, but that's near poetry?

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I've never seen the movie either, but that's near poetry?

Gotta take the opportunities when they come.

It really is a great movie, but not for the squeamish.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, Tigermike said:

I usually tip 20% sometimes a little more.

But I have a question.   If you eat at one of the chains, Logan's for example and the bill for steak and drinks comes to $80.00 & the tip comes to $16.00 But if you eat at Ruth's Chris and the bill will be $150.00 or more and the tip would be $30.00  The waiter or waitress did the same work but one was tipped almost twice as much.  What's the difference?

Actually pondered this one back when written, but clear/concise wording of my response was not immediately forthcoming. Still, it kind’a simmered (not obsessively or anything) in my bottom brain awhile.

I think my expectations of server competence change some with the tab. If I spend for good/expensive stuff I expect it to be right (dammit!). If (and, of course, this even comes up only if) it’s not right, I expect my server to go to bat for me, and show me that he/she is doing everything possible to make it right. Whether successful or not, my server is my only handy contact with the kitchen (or the bar), and I expect to see the effort. Whether such a situation comes up or not, my enhanced expectations make me comfortable with a % of tab approach.

BTW – When I became a bartender (not a “tipped employee” per reg.s of the time, and making >/= minimum wage), servers would often tip me (voluntarily according to their judgment of how much I contributed) for bizarre/specialty drinks or expedited service critical to the tip they received. Never worked in the kitchen. 

21 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Actually pondered this one back when written, but clear/concise wording of my response was not immediately forthcoming. Still, it kind’a simmered (not obsessively or anything) in my bottom brain awhile.

I think my expectations of server competence change some with the tab. If I spend for good/expensive stuff I expect it to be right (dammit!). If (and, of course, this even comes up only if) it’s not right, I expect my server to go to bat for me, and show me that he/she is doing everything possible to make it right. Whether successful or not, my server is my only handy contact with the kitchen (or the bar), and I expect to see the effort. Whether such a situation comes up or not, my enhanced expectations make me comfortable with a % of tab approach.

BTW – When I became a bartender (not a “tipped employee” per reg.s of the time, and making >/= minimum wage), servers would often tip me (voluntarily according to their judgment of how much I contributed) for bizarre/specialty drinks or expedited service critical to the tip they received. Never worked in the kitchen. 

I think it's customary for the wait staff to tip out the bartender a portion of tips for drinks. 

Well, I eat out rarely because I like to cook. I've been cooking gourmet meals for several decades, and I bought a lot of high end wine when I was living in SF and NY (because my income was rather flush). I sometime check the auction prices for wines I own and I enjoy scanning the wine lists for fancy restaurants where I live or travel to. Most restaurants really jack up the prices of their wines. They usually only have recent vintages of the wines I stashed, and mine have now been cellared for 20 years or more.

Point is, on the rare occasion I do go out to eat, it's usually a pricey place. And I'm willing to pay the restaurant's corkage fee rather than pay jacked up prices for their crappy wine.

So, my suggestion is

1. Tip in cash -- not only because servers are usually not even paid minimum wage, but also they may be required to pool tips. And if the corkage fee has been waived, tip extra, as if you had paid for wine.
2. If you like wine, check the wine list of the restaurant to see what they offer before you go. If you like good wine, visit a wine shop to get wine that's better than the stuff on their list and be prepared to pay a corkage fee
4. Offer your server and chef a small pour (not a big glass) of your wine to enjoy later or tell the server that you are going to leave the wine you don't drink for them to enjoy later.

And my best recommendation, if you are ever in Tampa, go to Bern's. Excellent food and an outstanding wine list. Not cheap. But the wine prices are never jacked up. They price their wines at the price they paid for them. So you can get a terrific aged wine for much less than you'd ever pay anywhere else. I've lived and eaten out in lots of big cities (and small), and IMO, Bern's is the best bang-for-the-buck of any restaurant in America.

15 minutes ago, AURex said:

And my best recommendation, if you are ever in Tampa, go to Bern's. Excellent food and an outstanding wine list. Not cheap. But the wine prices are never jacked up. They price their wines at the price they paid for them. So you can get a terrific aged wine for much less than you'd ever pay anywhere else. I've lived and eaten out in lots of big cities (and small), and IMO, Bern's is the best bang-for-the-buck of any restaurant in America.

Good stuff. Heard Bern's mentioned on a national radio talk show today.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:
11/2    to 3"     11/2   to     3"     60 oz      6       $ 251.12

I would love a couple of these. Do you have golf house tab we can charge to. Forget it Golf see now that it serves 6 people. I will take the filet mignon

Archived