Bryce is the 3rd Point Guard option next season

ellitor

Pearl’s plan for No. 3 point guard

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

ALEX CITY | Sophomore Jared Harper will be in a tight battle with freshman Davion Mitchell for the starting point guard position this season. But what if one of them is injured or has to miss a game or two or more?

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl already has a backup plan in mind.

“Bryce Brown will be our third ball handler,” Pearl said. “Bryce is a wing, Bryce is a scorer, but Bryce wants to be able to combo some. Depending on Davion and Jared and how both are doing, I don't know how much pure point guard Bryce will play.”

Zxmamvjmzpr5xjpniqm7
Brown will be Auburn's emergency point guard this season.
Dakota Sumpter/Auburn athletics

Auburn’s had some recent issues at the point guard position that caused Pearl to come up with some unique solutions. Injuries to Tahj Shamsid-Deen and T.J. Dunans along with Kareem Canty leaving the team during the 2015-16 season, forced Pearl to use walk-on Patrick Keim and 6-foot-7, 278-pound forward Cinmeon Bowers at point guard.

Dunans served as Auburn’s third point guard last season but both Harper and Ronnie Johnson were able to stay relatively healthy throughout the season limiting Dunans time at the position.

Brown has started 24 games at shooting guard the past two seasons, making a team-best 134 3-pointers during that span.

“It's interesting,” Pearl said. “He played some point guard this spring and while he's wanted to play the position because he's the size of a pro point guard, he didn't like the fact that he had to set the offense and he had to get the ball to everybody else. He realized, 'Wow, I'm just out here setting the table.' He said, 'Coach, can I go back to the wing where I can score?’

“But my confidence in Bryce's training and his decision making and tightening up his ball handling is the reason why we've not used that 12th or 13th scholarship for an eligible student athlete because I think Bryce can handle that role.”

Pearl had originally considered signing a combo guard in the spring period but instead signed a physical JUCO wing in Malik Dunbar, who should bolster Auburn’s defense and provide depth at the two and three positions.

Pearl may fill the Tigers’ remaining two scholarships with D-I transfers or hold them over for a future class.

Saw this on twitter and I must say this is not a good situation IMO. Bryce does not have the natural handling ability nor the vision/decision making to be an effective PG. This is going to be a huge weak spot for us IMO bc we have a true freshman and an undersized true soph as our lone PGs. A 3rd ball handler is critical to help us get out of funks and those funks will be common with such young guys running the PG spot. :no:

I understand the plan is not to play him at PG very often but if he's our 3rd string PG he's GOING to play some 1. People loved to rail on Dunans (yes he was inconsistent) but I think he's going to be very Nick Marshall-like in that we won't appreciate him until he's gone. His ball handling and ability to create for others allowed us to stay in games.

I agree that it won't be ideal for Bryce to play PG. He seemed to have trouble handling it in traffic and with his shot first think second mindset i don't see him as a good fit. But hopefully we don't have to use him often in this role. PG is the most concerning position next year no doubt

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

I agree that it won't be ideal for Bryce to play PG. He seemed to have trouble handling it in traffic and with his shot first think second mindset i don't see him as a good fit. But hopefully we don't have to use him often in this role. PG is the most concerning position next year no doubt

Unfortunately for us that's the worst spot to have big question marks IMO

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately for us that's the worst spot to have big question marks IMO

If Davion or Harper get hurt. If not and we get the 2 UMass kids for 2018, which one of the plays a good bit of point, then the gamble pays off & becomes a brilliant move.

Just now, ellitor said:

If Davion or Harper get hurt. If not and we get the 2 UMass kids for 2018, which one of the plays a good bit of point, then the gamble pays off & becomes a brilliant move.

True. I wasn't looking ahead just kind of seeing what's in store for this upcoming season. Not only do we need our PG duo to stay healthy, we need them to play really well because if both are slumping I have no idea who is going to be running the show because asking Bryce Brown to fill that hole is asking for trouble IMO. But you're right, if we get those guys from UMass it could be a big help in finding our 3rd ball handler but as far as this year it looks like we are going to be SOL.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

True. I wasn't looking ahead just kind of seeing what's in store for this upcoming season. Not only do we need our PG duo to stay healthy, we need them to play really well because if both are slumping I have no idea who is going to be running the show because asking Bryce Brown to fill that hole is asking for trouble IMO. But you're right, if we get those guys from UMass it could be a big help in finding our 3rd ball handler but as far as this year it looks like we are going to be SOL.

Well remember Bruce does not ask as much from his points in an ideal world as other teams. When his teams are clicking on offense the 2s & 3s are doing a lot of work too. With that said I think Davion on offense & players playing with toughness on D are the keys to the team next season. On offense Davion is very physical and as long as he is making decent decisions over all he will help the team by scoring & getting others involved.

This is another one of those things where Dunans will be missed.  He was ragged on too much to have all the positives he had.  as a third pseudo-PG he was serviceable.  Probably the best on the team at driving and dishing at the basket - now of course the passes weren't always handled or perfect - but he was unpredictable.

I would use Herron as a PG before I would use Brown. I would even have Purifoy play point forward before I would use Brown at PG.  This is not a knock on Brown used the right way he is a true asset but ball handling is not one of his strengths.

Don't underestimate Bryce. Imo the kids outperformed expectations more than anyone while at Auburn. I agree he's not the best option but he'll probably step up. 

I like the move a lot in the sense that if Heron (and/or Purifoy) take over as the go to offensive player(s), having a 1 whose speciality is getting open for a 3 could really benefit us.

If we're taking pressure off of our PGs when someone like Heron is on (and presumably handling the ball a little more) players like Harper and Brown will likely get a lot of good looks off of drive and dishes. 

I like seeing us find ways to get players like Brown on the court. He can light up the scoreboard on just about anyone when he gets in his grove and he will be one of this team's "veterans". 

Hey...nobody said it was a good plan....just that it was a plan.   Sure Heron or Purifoy might do as well...but I'm thinking that if you are down to your 3rd point guard, you will definitely need Heron and Purifoy on the floor also since that is where out points will be coming from. 

Maybe BP is just responding to the recent article where Lindsey talked about being prepared no matter what....and getting down to his 5th QB at AZ last year....so now BP also has a last resort plan available too....that's fine with me....but I don't expect to see it very often....JMO

10 hours ago, au302 said:

Don't underestimate Bryce. Imo the kids outperformed expectations more than anyone while at Auburn. I agree he's not the best option but he'll probably step up. 

Brown has contributed in a number of ways, but ball handling has not been one of them. I don't think it's a question of stepping up. He would if he could, but every time he dribbles around, disaster soon follows. I think one of the walkons would be a better PG option than Brown. He simply doesn't seem suited for the job.

I think CBP is trying to change Bryce's mindset and develop his ball handling and not much more.  I think if in a tight game our 1 & 2 PGs are out that he will roll with Heron/Purifoy. But in blowout games give Bryce a few chances.  It can only help Bryce's stock to play overseas or in a D league somewhere since he doesn't have the length of a True 2guard.  

Archived