AU assistant hired as new Bama Baseball HC

Just now, AU64 said:

I guess that's possible but recruiting in baseball...especially maintaining the talent level is a different thing....and I'm happy for them to try the Saban approach getting a bunch of 5* commitments and watching them run off to the pros....but baseball from my observation is a lot more about making the right call at the right time throughout the game and game management experience is a bigger deal...JMO. 

We are talking about bama here... look at their sports success in recent years.  Other than the monopoly on the very subjective sport of gymnastics, their success has hinged on a multi-million dollar coach with convenient ties to the NCAA and a willingness to accept everything the REC offers to get his guys.

I guess what I'm saying is that they haven't proven to be that bright outside of football, and only hiring Saban worked there... they were a mess for a decade before that.

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My guess is that they are hoping that they can build a team just through recruiting, like they are with football. You don't need a great in game coach if your talent eclipses everyone.

Much harder to do in baseball where you have to spread 11.7 schollies among at least 27 players having to give them each at least 25% of a scholly. Also Alabama not having a lottery hurts too. The rest of the SEC schools have extra scholly money they are allowed to to give baseball players AU & Bama doesn't. To be successful at AU & Bama you have to have an elite recruiter on staff. Bama has one now and we still have one in Butch.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Much harder to do in baseball where you have to spread 11.7 schollies among at least 27 players having to give them each at least 25% of a scholly. Also Alabama not having a lottery hurts too. The rest of the SEC schools have extra scholly money they are allowed to to give baseball players AU & Bama doesn't. To be successful at AU & Bama you have to have an elite recruiter on staff. Bama has one now and we still have one in Butch.

Do the Dodge Chargers count against scholarship numbers?....maybe the baseball team hope they can get the hand me downs from Saban? 

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

This is a very odd hire. You would think that the turds would go after someone with a lot of HC experience. I guess all of the money they are paying Saban is putting them in a bind.

I agree, but I think there's a point to be taken from that. I think Greh Byrne understands how difficult this rebuild will be, and rather than get a big name, he went and got a guy who recruits the area well, a guy who will work hard, and a guy who is eager to prove himself as a HC. It's odd though because I think they could've hired a bigger name (supposedly there was interest from bigger names). 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

One thing that I missed here was the timing of this announcement was poor form by Bama. The class thing to do was to wait til AU's season is done whenever that is before making an announcement. It's not like Bama was scrambling to get a coach right now. The only thing it serves by announcing now is serve as a potential distraction for the AU players during the regional.

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well. This seems a bit LBS to me. 

My thoughts: crappy thing to do by Bama. AU in a regional trying to play their way into Omaha and they put a distraction on AU. I know it's Bama so I don't expect much else, but that ain't cool. 

How big of a loss is this when consider how the team tanked by losing 7 games in a row. 3 straight to Bammer at Auburn then loss to UAB and loss 3 straight to LSU. We couldn't hit the side of a barn.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

How big of a loss is this when consider how the team tanked by losing 7 games in a row. 3 straight to Bammer at Auburn then loss to UAB and loss 3 straight to LSU. We couldn't hit the side of a barn.

We'll know after this weekend and by who Butch replaces Bo with.

We couldn't get runners in to safe our in those last 7 games. I'm still sticked off on how bad we played and lost those 3 to Bammer in our back yard when we should have won all 3.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We couldn't get runners in to safe our in those last 7 games. I'm still sticked off on how bad we played and lost those 3 to Bammer in our back yard when we should have won all 3.

Yeah well those games are over. Grab a cold one, relax, & put the past behind you...:beer2:

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Well, I don't think there's a direct correlation between Bohannon being an assistant and the losing streak. Basically, I don't think any one coach or player is responsible for the slide. So, there's no way to measure how big or small of a loss Bohannon is to this team in relation to play on the field. 

It's a net loss in recruiting, at least for now, because of how good he is as a recruiter. But depending on who Butch hires, it could remove that recruiting loss. Plus, not too long ago, Butch was viewed as one of the best recruiters in the southeast. 

It's a big loss for us, but a great opportunity for Coach Bo. He is directly responsible for a majority of the current team and the top notch class coming in (on paper and who actually sticks, TBD). He is universally liked by all and as others have said, a great recruiter. I don't believe his duties include hitting coach. I believe those are Coach Sisson's responsibility along with overall game plan. Coach Bo worked a lot with the infielders from what I've seen. All that being said, I'm sure Butch has got a short list of top-notch talent that he will move swiftly on... hopefully after the CWS!!

12 minutes ago, HitandRun5 said:

It's a big loss for us, but a great opportunity for Coach Bo. He is directly responsible for a majority of the current team and the top notch class coming in (on paper and who actually sticks, TBD). He is universally liked by all and as others have said, a great recruiter. I don't believe his duties include hitting coach. I believe those are Coach Sisson's responsibility along with overall game plan. Coach Bo worked a lot with the infielders from what I've seen. All that being said, I'm sure Butch has got a short list of top-notch talent that he will move swiftly on... hopefully after the CWS!!

Correct. I got Bo & Sisson confused on their duties. Will change the title now.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

One thing that I missed here was the timing of this announcement was poor form by Bama. The class thing to do was to wait til AU's season is done whenever that is before making an announcement. It's not like Bama was scrambling to get a coach right now. The only thing it serves by announcing now is serve as a potential distraction for the AU players during the regional.

Well it looks like I reacted too soon. Yeah, yeah. I know. What's new?...After watching Butch's presser today I think it was handled the right way. The AU staff came together with the whole team and Coach Bo made the announcement to the team and I got the impression Coach Bo told Butch first which prompted the team announcement. Looks like Coach Bo had Butch's blessing to go ahead & tell the team. The players knew about it before the Bama tweet so there shouldn't be much of a distraction this weekend.

Good for him. Now get out of the AU dugout. Not interesting in a uat coach on he bench for AU in the regionals. 

13 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Good for him. Now get out of the AU dugout. Not interesting in a uat coach on he bench for AU in the regionals. 

Butch wants him there til our season ends.

Great hire by the turds I must say. I would have loved to have had coach Bo another year or two but that's the way it goes. I'm really interested in seeing who the replacement will be. 

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Butch wants him there til our season ends.

Matthew 6:24    ...it's still a pretty valid commentary IMO.

On the other hand....unless we get things turned around tomorrow....he might not have but a few more days of work anyway.

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Matthew 6:24    ...it's still a pretty valid commentary IMO.

On the other hand....unless we get things turned around tomorrow....he might not have but a few more days of work anyway.

AU is his master til our season ends or til Butch releases him if it's before our season is over.

I know this is rival news but, looks like Bo wants Tenns former HC as pitching coach. Anyone have any idea who Butch is gonna hire?

38 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Anyone have any idea who Butch is gonna hire?

Haven't heard anything yet & I'm keeping tabs on guys who will likely hear something eventually.

Archived