Baseball vs. FSU Game Thread (Winner-Take-All)

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I'm a little wary (besides you're seemingly otherworldly ability to determine the heart of a team who's overachieved for three out of four months from a TV screen) of people who automatically assume we'll be better next year. Losing Keegan, draft uncertain with lots of JuCo guys...hopefully Coach Thompson didn't screw himself by being too successful too early. Hopefully now the program can begin to be built from a freshman class on and not rely so much on JuCo

Well I'm OK with the JUCO route if he needs to fill in some gaps. Most of those kids have great talent but just needed a better GPA. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well I'm OK with the JUCO route if he needs to fill in some gaps. Most of those kids have great talent but just needed a better GPA. 

Lots of them also needed to go to school at a less expensive location due to the small number of scholarships at Div 1. 

OK...that's it....and the FSU pitcher looked like an A-A tonight....2 hits in a crucial tournament game.....gotta give him lots of credit...totally tamed the AU hitters..batters

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

OK...that's it....and the FSU pitcher looked like an A-A tonight....2 hits in a crucial tournament game.....gotta give him lots of credit...totally tamed the AU hitters..batters

It's not like the guy was untalented. He clearly has some great stuff.

Another regional in tally another loss. We deep down all expected this after the game yesterday. That place has been a house of horrors for us besides basically 1 moment almost 20 years ago. Sighhhhhhhhhhh some really good moments this year mixed with some not so good moments like being swept by a terrible bama team. All in all a more positive season than negative. Just makes it hurt even worse when we would of hosted a super and had a GREAT chance to go to Omaha. WAR EAGLE! O and 1 more thing. I was wrong about butch. I wanted Pat Murphy BADLY. I was pissed when we did not hire him when we easily could of had him. I thought Butch was a safe JABA hire resembling the hires JJ has made in football but I was so wrong. Butch is the real deal and the future is bright! WDE!

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Another regional in tally another loss. We deep down all expected this after the game yesterday. That place has been a house of horrors for us besides basically 1 moment almost 20 years ago. Sighhhhhhhhhhh some really good moments this year mixed with some not so good moments like being swept by a terrible bama team. All in all a more positive season than negative. Just makes it hurt even worse when we would of hosted a super and had a GREAT chance to go to Omaha. WAR EAGLE! O and 1 more thing. I was wrong about butch. I wanted Pat Murphy BADLY. I was pissed when we did not hire him when we easily could of had him. I thought Butch was a safe JABA hire resembling the hires JJ has made in football but I was so wrong. Butch is the real deal and the future is bright! WDE!

Sorry to derail, but are you referring to the hiring of Chizik who won our first NC in over 50 years or of Gus who played in another?

Back to baseball...Butch had a solid early season. We did much better than expected. Then we completely fell apart in an epic manner. I THINK Butch will be a good one, but a solid start to a year followed by an epic crumble has me not counting chickens just yet.  As long as we are relating to football.....Gus played for a NC in his first year....it's been downhill ever since. Hopefully both teams get over the hump and become perennial solid teams

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Pardon my ignorance but isn't the new head coach at bama our hitting coach? Does that in any way affect a game? Or by now our hitting is what it is?

No. As someone corrected me the other day, Sisson is the hitting coach.

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

Sorry to derail, but are you referring to the hiring of Chizik who won our first NC in over 50 years or of Gus who played in another?

Back to baseball...Butch had a solid early season. We did much better than expected. Then we completely fell apart in an epic manner. I THINK Butch will be a good one, but a solid start to a year followed by an epic crumble has me not counting chickens just yet.  As long as we are relating to football.....Gus played for a NC in his first year....it's been downhill ever since. Hopefully both teams get over the hump and become perennial solid teams

it was all downhill after both seasons of prominence you mentioned for gustav and the chiz. I will admit however I fully expect no less than 10 wins this year because Stidham is the real deal. If healthy we have a great chance to be special and catch that classic Auburn lightening in the bottle magic. I think Butch has the ability to sustain being really good better than chiz and gus but yes there were warning signs and we will see.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

These guys are just simply a better team than we are at every level

Yup. We only have a few guys Martin would choose for the best 27 man roster combining the 2 teams.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

For a team of mostly JUCOs and freshmen.....this season has been a very good one. Congrats to the team and coaches for making it this far. Each year should get better from here on out. War Eagle

Especially when you factor in Butch was hired 1 month before NSD. Current Juco Jrs & Freshman are that class. Not much time to get some cruitin done.

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I'm a little wary (besides you're seemingly otherworldly ability to determine the heart of a team who's overachieved for three out of four months from a TV screen) of people who automatically assume we'll be better next year. Losing Keegan, draft uncertain with lots of JuCo guys...hopefully Coach Thompson didn't screw himself by being too successful too early. Hopefully now the program can begin to be built from a freshman class on and not rely so much on JuCo

The Jucos on roster aren't the ones we gotta worry about in the draft. It's Incoming Juco LHP Evan Steele & incoming freshmen C Steven Williams & RHP Tanner Burns. Oh and there is only 1 juco in the incoming class. 13 of 14 are freshmen.

Just now, ellitor said:

The Jucos on roster aren't the ones we gotta worry about in the draft. It's Incoming Juco LHP Evan Steele & incoming freshmen C Steven Williams & RHP Tanner Burns.

lol don't even count Tanner anymore, E. He gone.

lol don't even count Tanner anymore, E. He gone.

Not so sure about that. I've read where teams see him as a middle reliever in the Majors & may not draft him as high as projected because of it.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not so sure about that. I've read where teams see him as a middle reliever in the Majors & may not draft him as high as projected because of it.

Anything can happen, but from sources in Decatur, if it's even somewhere close to his projected slot, he's gone. 

Anything can happen, but from sources in Decatur, if it's even somewhere close to his projected slot, he's gone. 

That's the most inside knowledge I've seen on him. That sucks.

Any idea what round he has to be picked to come to AU? The highest I've seen him projected is the 2nd round.

Just now, ellitor said:

That's the most inside knowledge I've seen. That sucks.

Any idea what round he has to be picked to come to AU? The highest I've seen him projected is the 2nd round.

These people were assuming a 2nd-5th round slot, especially with him staying in the top 50 prospects of a lot of publications for the past two years. There's also a high amount of confidence,  i don't know from talks or just from showcases, from them that he'll be called closer to that second round than the fifth.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

it was all downhill after both seasons of prominence you mentioned for gustav and the chiz. I will admit however I fully expect no less than 10 wins this year because Stidham is the real deal. If healthy we have a great chance to be special and catch that classic Auburn lightening in the bottle magic. I think Butch has the ability to sustain being really good better than chiz and gus but yes there were warning signs and we will see.

Agreed on all counts. Having occasional big seasons at AU happens. Sustained success hasn't been there for any of the big 3 men's sports in a long time. I'm in a wait and see mode for Butch, Gus, and Bruce. 

Let me say what bothered me about the Sunday game and maybe I am reading to much into this. I read an article after the game (sorry I can't find it to link) about how the game on Sunday was the most fun he had in baseball in a while. Sure it was a loss but he had a lot of fun according to the article. When I read it I immediately thought we are going to lose on Monday. If this was the attitude of the coach and defacto the team, then I was concerned that the team would not be ready. It sounded somewhat like a little league coach whose team gets pounded every week. We had fun boys. I am not trying to be over critical of the coaches but IMO you have to hate to lose (more than you like to win). It has to stick in your gut where you don't want to experience that again if possible. All I could think of is  I couldn't imagine hearing Saban say after losing to AU with 1 second left " well, that was fun".

I may be over reacting to the comments but I thought it sent the wrong message to the team.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Let me say what bothered me about the Sunday game and maybe I am reading to much into this. I read an article after the game (sorry I can't find it to link) about how the game on Sunday was the most fun he had in baseball in a while. Sure it was a loss but he had a lot of fun according to the article. When I read it I immediately thought we are going to lose on Monday. If this was the attitude of the coach and defacto the team, then I was concerned that the team would not be ready. It sounded somewhat like a little league coach whose team gets pounded every week. We had fun boys. I am not trying to be over critical of the coaches but IMO you have to hate to lose (more than you like to win). It has to stick in your gut where you don't want to experience that again if possible. All I could think of is  I couldn't imagine hearing Saban say after losing to AU with 1 second left " well, that was fun".

I may be over reacting to the comments but I thought it sent the wrong message to the team.

You can hate to lose and play in a game that was fun to play in that turns out to be a loss. They aren't mutually exclusive. It was fun to watch as a fan so I imagine it was fun to play in even though it ended as a loss. I could see saying 1 sentence about it being fun in an interview but not beyond that because then the game being fun could over shadow IMO the hurt of the loss in the coach's message.

Archived