US Tiger University Consortium

gr82be

Auburn, Clemson, LSU and Missouri join in tiger conservation effort:

Alex ScarboroughESPN Staff Writer

Auburn, Clemson, LSU and Missouri all hold tigers as their mascots, and now they all share a common objective to save the wild tiger populations across the globe.

The four schools are part of the newly formed U.S. Tiger University Consortium -- named for the mascots they share -- whose primary focus will be research and awareness.

The consortium was started by Clemson University president James Clements, who also serves on the Global Tiger Initiative Council.

"Students, faculty and alumni chant 'Go Tigers' on a daily basis, but not many know the truth about the animal we hold so dear," said Brett Wright, dean of Clemson University College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences, according to a news release from the university. "These universities share the tiger mascot and benefit from that majestic symbol of strength, dignity and beauty, so they share a moral responsibility to apply all of our resources to save the animal that inspires that symbol."

There are only 3,900 tigers remaining the wild, according to the Global Tiger Forum. Frank Bienewald/LightRocket/Getty Images

Wright, along with representatives from the Consortium and the Global Tiger Forum, recently traveled to India to observe tigers in the wild. Two-thirds of the Earth's total wild tiger population is estimated to live in the country.

"Each of our institutions possess various academic disciplines important to the future of tiger conservation and protection," Janaki Alavalapati, dean of the Auburn University School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, said in the release. "This is an obvious example of the need for multi-disciplinary contribution, not just across colleges and departments, but across universities."

With the help of university-supported scholarships and assistantships, Wright and Alavalapati hope to train the "next generation of conservation leaders" and put an emphasis on the application of technology that will allow monitoring and data related to wild tiger applications.

According to the Global Tiger Forum, there are only approximately 3,900 tigers remaining the wild.

I guess Memphis and Princeton didn't think this was worth their time ?

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They should recruit Princeton. That's where the big $$$$ are!

Indeed...a liberal Ivy League school....this should be right down their alley....and of course there is the money to consider.....

And I expect LSU will no longer have a live Tiger mascot....maybe that's good but "Mike The Tiger" has a long tradition....not sure how many Mikes there have been but will be sad to see him go...the times they keep changing.  

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They should recruit Princeton. That's where the big $$$$ are!

A the same time, my experience is that the closer you get to Ivy League, the tighter the wallets get. Just use the SEC as an example.  You constantly hear about service projects from even the schools we love to hate... but rarely do you hear anything from Vandy. Why? Well according to my Vandy grad friend, even their own alumni club can't get them to show up to an event unless it's free.

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And I expect LSU will no longer have a live Tiger mascot....maybe that's good but "Mike The Tiger" has a long tradition....not sure how many Mikes there have been but will be sad to see him go...the times they keep changing.  

You won't see Mike go anywhere soon. Mike is a rescue Tiger and the need to house rescue tigers is not dwindling. In fact, this initiative might bring Mike more to the forefront as a part of the educational aspects of the effort. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see more Tiger mascot schools get a "Mike", if they can afford it.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You won't see Mike go anywhere soon. Mike is a rescue Tiger and the need to house rescue tigers is not dwindling. In fact, this initiative might bring Mike more to the forefront as a part of the educational aspects of the effort. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see more Tiger mascot schools get a "Mike", if they can afford it.

Can't get into politics here but in this case, can't avoid it either.   LSU is under the gun to stop using a live tiger mascot and I expect they will submit to the pressure. 

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/louisiana/2016/05/24/peta-lsu-president-no-more-live-tigers/84877262/

With any luck they will come up with a human- tiger mascot that resembles the one at Clemson.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't get into politics here but in this case, can't avoid it either.   LSU is under the gun to stop using a live tiger mascot and I expect they will submit to the pressure. 

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/louisiana/2016/05/24/peta-lsu-president-no-more-live-tigers/84877262/

With any luck they will come up with a human- tiger mascot that resembles the one at Clemson.

PETA is a bunch of idiots. If they had half a clue they would realize that Mike is in the best possible place he can be.  I'm EXTREMELY active with the #1 big cat rescue and sanctuary in the United States, and they are supportive of LSU's care of Mike. I hope LSU does what most people should do with PETA and tell their uneducated butts to go jump in a lake.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

A the same time, my experience is that the closer you get to Ivy League, the tighter the wallets get. Just use the SEC as an example.  You constantly hear about service projects from even the schools we love to hate... but rarely do you hear anything from Vandy. Why? Well according to my Vandy grad friend, even their own alumni club can't get them to show up to an event unless it's free.

Ah, but here's the catch. These universities do in fact receive HUGE amounts from their alumni. Their alumni are not tightwads. And since they have lots of extremely wealthy alumni, their coffers over-floweth. Princeton is the 6th wealthiest university in the world, and as a private institution, most of that money comes from its alumni.

However, most of their alumni don't really give a rat's azz about sports. They donate their time and money to academics and to the research infrastructure. I suspect Vandy is like that as well. Vandy is #26 on the list of wealthiest universities. Their endowment of almost $4 Billion suggests that their alumni do open their wallets. In comparison, the endowments of Auburn and Clemson are around $650 million.

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

Ah, but here's the catch. These universities do in fact receive HUGE amounts from their alumni. Their alumni are not tightwads. And since they have lots of extremely wealthy alumni, their coffers over-floweth. Princeton is the 6th wealthiest university in the world, and as a private institution, most of that money comes from its alumni.

However, most of their alumni don't really give a rat's azz about sports. They donate their time and money to academics and to the research infrastructure. I suspect Vandy is like that as well. Vandy is #26 on the list of wealthiest universities. Their endowment of almost $4 Billion suggests that their alumni do open their wallets.

Again, my experience is that the alumni are, in general, tightwads, and they reserve their generosity for big things, often big things that end with their name on something. I don't see those schools or their alumni as caring a lick about something like this... sadly.

But that is just my experience.

Archived