Do we get a 1K YD season by a WR in 17?

GwillMac6

If so who? I personally think so and say YES! Absolutely! And I am calling my shot for Nate Craig Myers. AU has only produced 2 total 1k yard seasons by a WR in our history of the program in Terry Beasley and Ronny Daniels. That starts to change with Chip calling the plays. Going to be fun to watch! WAR EAGLE BOYS!

A more interesting question to me is if we have a 1000 yard receiver, do we continue the streak of having a 1000 yard rusher.  We were close in 2010.

Yes to both. 

My man crush NCM will get 1K receiving.  If we have 2, I'm gonna say Slayton for the 2nd one.  KD is a possibility.  I think WH is going to be very productive this year, but he runs a lot of short underneath type routes so I don't anticipate that piling up to 1K.

I think we're gonna spread it around too much to have 2 1K receivers, just my thoughts  

And Bubba is gonna get 1K rushing easy if he stays healthy.  If not KJ is a possibility (those ankles are a concern).  If both of these guys don't stay healthy enough to hit 1K then we don't get a 1K this year. It will still be a good rushing year, but the yards will be spread among too many people for anyone to have 1K. 

Gotta feeling that the plan will be to spread the ball around....RBs and WRs both catching passes but don't see that NCM will get 1000 yards...but odds of him averaging over 20 ypc.....now that's a good possibility.... and I would love to see that.  

Unless Bubba and KJ have injury issues I still see AU as being a primary run team...with with both  RBs easily over 1000 yards.....and as for passing.....perhaps  2500-2800 yards  and several guys with 500+ receiving.... 

I'm gonna say no to a wr getting 1K this year although I do think they all will have much better #'s than last year. More than one will be in the neighborhood though. Totally agree on the spreading the ball around talk.  

Also still ticks me off Frank didn't get to 1K in '94. :)

I'd rather see 3 or 4 with 500+. That would make our offense very difficult to scheme against.

So sitting here this morning I have a terrible thirst to drink the Kool Aid.

By my math, if you average 600 YPG (200 running + 400 passing) you will have a lot of 1K+ players!

WDE

3 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

By my math, if you average 600 YPG (200 running + 400 passing) you will have a lot of 1K+ players!

WDE

Oh my, that is drinking the Kool Aid for sure!

2 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

WDE

Expect we will come closer to averaging 300 yards per game on the ground if the backs are healthy.   A dangerous passing game will make the running game more reliable and Gus  (and yeah I know Lindsey is the OC)  will want to use the clock and wear down the opposing defenses.

It also depends on the style of play of the coaching staff. If we go up by 28 in our first game , I hope they do not SIT on the ball. Keep scoring and keep playing at a high level.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Expect we will come closer to averaging 300 yards per game on the ground if the backs are healthy.   A dangerous passing game will make the running game more reliable and Gus  (and yeah I know Lindsey is the OC)  will want to use the clock and wear down the opposing defenses.

300/300 split still is 3,600 yards in a season plus the Bowl(s). That will get at least one reciever and likely two over K

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

It also depends on the style of play of the coaching staff. If we go up by 28 in our first game , I hope they do not SIT on the ball. Keep scoring and keep playing at a high level.

I understand the desire to see some romps....but as for me....I'm happy to see lots of guys get experience when the opportunity arises.  And while I sure hate to see a nice lead drift away, once a game is well settled, I'm good to see back-ups get some time .....but I would like to see them run the offense and not just run the clock...

I'm optimistic about this year and hope to see lots of RBs and WRs as  part of Stat's post game analysis. .

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather see 3 or 4 with 500+. That would make our offense very difficult to scheme against.

Respectfully disagree. Yes, it would make us more difficult to scheme against. BUT if we don't start producing a 1K reciever at the rate of 2 or 3 every 4 years you can forget about recruiting top notch recievers.

4 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

Respectfully disagree. Yes, it would make us more difficult to scheme against. BUT if we don't start producing a 1K reciever at the rate of 2 or 3 every 4 years you can forget about recruiting top notch recievers.

That might be true, but it hasn't worked that way for our RB recruiting. Also, the winning that I would expect from that type of production would, IMO, offset the lack of 1k yard exposure.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

He is and it's not even close

What makes you so certain of this? I don't necessarily disagree but given the sample size of all our WR I think it's tough to definitively say that one is undoubtedly head and shoulders above the rest. I would love for this to be the case because I always like seeing GA natives become great players at AU. If you have any insider info please share! 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I understand the desire to see some romps....but as for me....I'm happy to see lots of guys get experience when the opportunity arises.  And while I sure hate to see a nice lead drift away, once a game is well settled, I'm good to see back-ups get some time .....but I would like to see them run the offense and not just run the clock...

I'm optimistic about this year and hope to see lots of RBs and WRs as  part of Stat's post game analysis. .

As long as we are staying aggressive , the third string QB can be in there for all I care .

2 hours ago, CCslim said:

Kyle Davis

i think he is our most talented receiver. 

Young man certainly has the hands required. Did you catch the practice video of him on the side one handing catches with each hand?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

As long as we are staying aggressive , the third string QB can be in there for all I care .

I agree. The lack of 3rd qtr production has been frustrating to say the least. I believe with the new additions to the staff, we will see some effective 2nd half adjustments from the offense. That will be new and very refreshing.

5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Young man certainly has the hands required. Did you catch the practice video of him on the side one handing catches with each hand?

Different Davis. But Kyle Allen is our best receiver

Archived