SEC coaches' anonymous thoughts on Malzahn, AU

ChaddScott

My GridironNow.com colleague Jimmy Hyams has released his annual "SEC coaches comment anonymously on each other" column and - how about this - the viewpoints shared on Gus Malzahn and AU are mostly favorable. Here's a sample:

"I think Auburn has the best defensive line in the country (despite losing Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams to the NFL)," one coach said. "They have nine NFL players on their d-line. The linebackers are average, the secondary is good. They have four to five very talented corners, and the two safeties are back. The defense is one of the better ones in the country." 

You can read the full anonymous coach comments on Auburn and the rest of the SEC West right here: http://gridironnow.com/sec-coaches-dish-diss-sec-west-coaching-brethren/

Wow so other people in the coaching profession also think if Gus stays out of the way and lets his OC work that it will improve our offense. Interesting.

50 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Neat article. TBH I would argue that LB is our most solid position group though.

Yeah, I don't think I would have labeled them as "average".  They may not have all been 5* LBs like some schools, but they are great at their job.

6 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Yeah, I don't think I would have labeled them as "average".  They may not have all been 5* LBs like some schools, but they are great at their job.

I have no worries about them. Our DL and DB are great but there's definitely scenarios there that could be worrisome. We've got a great top 4 LBs and that's not even including our two freshmen and two BUCKs that could play LB.

And they work GREAT as a unit. The 2 Williams and DDavis work like a dang flock of hornets together.

16 hours ago, djg0017 said:

Neat article. TBH I would argue that LB is our most solid position group though.

There's not a single returning All-SEC player among our linebackers and we haven't had one in several years. That's 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team when 3rd is listed. The potential is probably there and things at LB are certainly looking better than they have for the past few years but right now "average" is all they have earned. Hopefully by season's end we'll have some LB's winning honors but the on-field production hasn't happened. (yet)

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's not a single returning All-SEC player among our linebackers and we haven't had one in several years. That's 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team when 3rd is listed. The potential is probably there and things at LB are certainly looking better than they have for the past few years but right now "average" is all they have earned. Hopefully by season's end we'll have some LB's winning honors but the on-field production hasn't happened. (yet)

Well 'average" is better than less than average and while it would be good to have all stars, with the quality of defensive players on the team overall, I'm looking for a good season from the defense as long as we can avoid the injuries. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I would agree that they definitely aren't our D's most acclaimed stars. I don't really think they are our most talented players either, but I think they have the fewest questions among them. I trust D Davis as much as I trust T Williams as much as I trust D Williams. I kind of doubt any of them ends up as an All SEC (if I had to choose I'd pick Tre) but that's because all three of them could rack up 70 tackles. Some teams have an All American with 110 tackles or something but usually it's because that guy flies to the ball while the others wait for a tackle to come to them. Our LBs are consistent and play together like an amoeba -- great cohesion as a unit. But you're right, I don't know that they will have monster production. All I know is that ball carriers are gonna have a hard time getting through that trio :wareagle:

Archived