So What Now?...

norcuron

1 I work like the devil so I just lurk most the time. Old transfer from Auburn Eagle back in the day when we knew each other.

We just bought Gus for 7 years..... He won the SEC West so he gets a bonus pay and stuff. So What Now? Do you think he takes this shot and gives his heart and soul to making AU a seasonal Champ for the next 7 years?  OR we find lazy years where he knows he's gonna get paid no matter what and we couldn't afford to get anyone better? Sorry but that a legit concern. Coaches do it all the time. They get "comfy" cause there isn't noting you can do about it, Fire them.... lol... still getting paid.  I don't like the long term deal with Gus. He has not proved he cant do it year in year out. But he gets 7?

Well, I don't think he would get lazy the way he is recruiting.  This year he is recruiting to win it all.  He put together the coaching staff to win it all, and players last year retuned for their senior seasons to win it all.  That last part of the sentence did not happen, but it is well known his players fight for him, no matter the external distractions.  Only way that happens is if the players see their coach going full throttle for his team.  My two cents...

Not a believer in giving such a long term contract for that very reason but I can't believe he'd just get lazy/apathetic.  He is still a relatively young guy and seems to have the energy needed for the job.  I think he's learned a lot in the past season, to AU's detriment at times, but as long as he keeps growing as a coach, I figure AU is gonna be fine. 

AU didn't want to engage in a coaching search at this juncture given what has already committed elsewhere and they'd be picking through leftovers and Sexton forced AU's hand.  Gus just coached AU to a 10 win or likely 11 win season and got the most out of his team when he was on the ropes and one more loss away (after the LSU debacle) from being shown the door (IMO) after 3 consecutive years of 7-8 wins.  Trends in recruiting continue to look solid and the kids continue to fight for wins when he could have EASILY lost them for good after LSU.  It was a disappointing day Saturday but sometimes it just ain't your day.  

I would do a lot of fishing, take long vacations, drink a few beers everyday, keep good assistants and delegate everything I could. Plus laugh at you guys on the message boards bellyaching and complaining.

I am glad Gus is not like me......

Well, I guess we will just have to sit back, wait, and hope that the Gus of the last half of this season carries on the next several years.

I think great things will happen. I read an article today where recruits love Gus. This came from guys that have committed/signed with us and others that did not. The guys said he was the best HC recruiter or the funnest to be around. That type of energy will keep pulling in top classes and consistency. 

Honestly, it all depends on our O-Line. If the guys we have in the wings are good, and we can build quality depth, we are in the hunt for at least the next two years if not longer. If we can get to the point where we continually reload the D, and we continue recruiting offensive talent at the level we have the past couple of years, we become a perennial contender. 

We keep putting up numbers like we did this year, our biggest threat is a rotating door at OC, as teams steal them away as HCs. The only other concern I have is losing T-Will. (I used to say I was concerned about losing Horton, but if we do, I think we can steal McGee).  I think the rest of our staff, as long as we want them, aren't going anywhere. They are doing what they want, where they want, and very few have aspirations for climbing the ladder.

Did our under class OL get PT to help in the quality depth department?

Or did they sit and watch like our RB's did?

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I would do a lot of fishing, take long vacations, drink a few beers everyday, keep good assistants and delegate everything I could. Plus laugh at you guys on the message boards bellyaching and complaining.

We are too....

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

That's all??????????????/

The terms of the contract I believe are only 75% guaranteed. Meaning only about 35 million ( or 5 years). So after one year 28 after two years 21 and so on so it’s not really as long term as it sounds.  Consider he is 2-3 against uat so that’s not bad. If he can just clean up a couple of things he could be a really good coach. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The terms of the contract I believe are only 75% guaranteed. Meaning only about 35 million ( or 5 years). So after one year 28 after two years 21 and so on so it’s not really as long term as it sounds.  Consider he is 2-3 against uat so that’s not bad. If he can just clean up a couple of things he could be a really good coach. 

He's going to have to show the ability to be adaptable and multiple offensively before he will ever be a great coach. When he finds a hot rythym, he's on fire, but when adversity hits it's like playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun at times. 

We now have the 4th-highest paid coach in the country, one who is paid higher than the likes of Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer. Now, we get to sit back and hope he proves all of us who say he is not worth so much money wrong. I hope he does it but I am not optimistic. He has a lot of things he need to improve on. This year was a big step but there's a long way to go to prove he is worth $7M/yr.

Beat UCF is what's now. Obsess over what may happen over the next 7 years ? Why ? We have a bowl game to win and a recruiting class to get in the fold. We must keep good QB, OL, DL players coming down the pipeline. The regular season was a very good one overall. Hopefully Gus and the returning players learned a lot from this year and Gus's 5th year was a transformational year for him. Let's win that bowl game and make sure our last game is a W.  That will be something at least one, or quite possibly both, of our SEC rivals in the playoffs won't be able to say.

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I would cue up the Eminem song "Without Me" for you here Salty if I knew how.

What now? The excuses are all gone, thats what.  No more whining about "learning on the job", that is for sure.

He better deliver against Washington, because his "take 1/3rd of the season just to get rolling" shtick isn't flying any more either.

16 hours ago, norcuron said:

1 I work like the devil so I just lurk most the time. Old transfer from Auburn Eagle back in the day when we knew each other.

We just bought Gus for 7 years..... He won the SEC West so he gets a bonus pay and stuff. So What Now? Do you think he takes this shot and gives his heart and soul to making AU a seasonal Champ for the next 7 years?  OR we find lazy years where he knows he's gonna get paid no matter what and we couldn't afford to get anyone better? Sorry but that a legit concern. Coaches do it all the time. They get "comfy" cause there isn't noting you can do about it, Fire them.... lol... still getting paid.  I don't like the long term deal with Gus. He has not proved he cant do it year in year out. But he gets 7?

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.  If you love what he's done so far, you're gonna love the next 7 years of Auburn football.

I agree Gus didn't do anything to warrant an extension and raise. I understand we just had a 10-win season, beat our rivals, and made it to the SECCG. But that just meant he was doing what he's getting paid to do. 

But then Arkansas came knocking. So I understand why Auburn did what they did. Either they could have let Gus take the Arkansas job, then get pushed into the crazy coaching carousel and have to pay $7mil/yr regardless if they wanted a decent coach.......OR they could just go ahead and pay Gus the $7mil/yr, provide stability and continuity, and avoid the crazy coaching carousel. Well played by Sexton. At the end of the day, no one, not even AU, could blame Gus if he left for a job that pays $3mil/yr more. I know I would have regardless of how much I enjoy and love my current job and place of employment.

13 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

But then Arkansas came knocking. So I understand why Auburn did what they did. Either they could have let Gus take the Arkansas job, then get pushed into the crazy coaching carousel and have to pay $7mil/yr regardless if they wanted a decent coach.......OR they could just go ahead and pay Gus the $7mil/yr, provide stability and continuity, and avoid the crazy coaching carousel. Well played by Sexton. At the end of the day, no one, not even AU, could blame Gus if he left for a job that pays $3mil/yr more. I know I would have regardless of how much I enjoy and love my current job and place of employment.

That is the sad, ridiculous state of college football. At some point, a ceiling will be reached and then it's going to be really interesting to see what happens. Unfortunately, bama is controlling that ceiling and they don't seem to have a stopping point.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That is the sad, ridiculous state of college football. At some point, a ceiling will be reached and then it's going to be really interesting to see what happens. Unfortunately, bama is controlling that ceiling and they don't seem to have a stopping point.

True....there a  dozen or so schools where money is not a deterrent in getting someone they want.......including bama, texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Tex A and M........and Auburn among them.    Smaller schools all over the conference and country curse all of us for driving up the cost of trying to play competitive football. 

Truth is your not going to see a university as hard up as UT and Arky is at this point. They remind me of pre-saben uat. When folks get that desperate they do some really dumb things. So Arky decided since Gus had ties to Arky and some success that they could appease the masses. So the spent 11 million to buy out their coach about 3 million to buy out their AD and then offered 50 million for 7 yrs. Had Gus wanted to play ball he could have even got more out of Arky. Like I said they are desperate. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Remember, Gus reads this forum, he changed his play calling because of suggestions made on this board.  Remember this next year when we are 3 - 8

Archived