#19 Auburn at Missouri

Auhud08

Today Auburn heads to Missouri to take on the Tigers. The Auburn Tigers come into the matchup after an amazing 2nd half comeback where they outscored Georgia 53-25 including a 25-4 run. The hope is that Auburns 2nd half is indicative of full games to come, as Auburn has yet to perform their best for a full 40 minutes. Still Auburn comes in ranked #19 and holds a record of 17-2 & 5-1 in SEC play. For Missouri (13-6, 3-3), they’re back home after suffering a loss to Texas A&M in Aggieland. The Mizzou Tigers have played a lot of teams close and finally got over the hump against Tennessee, but their scoring has dropped each SEC game from 79 to 49 in their latest bout. Tune in tonight and let’s see (and hope) the Auburn of the 2nd half shows up for the full 40. 

Tipoff is at 8PM (CT) on SEC Network. (I’ve double checked the time)

War Eagle!

24 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Today Auburn heads to Missouri to take on the Tigers. The Auburn Tigers come into the matchup after an amazing 2nd half comeback where they outscored Georgia 53-25 including a 25-4 run. The hope is that Auburns 2nd half is indicative of full games to come, as Auburn has yet to perform their best for a full 40 minutes. Still Auburn comes in ranked #19 and holds a record of 17-2 & 5-1 in SEC play. For Missouri (13-6, 3-3), they’re back home after suffering a loss to Texas A&M in Aggieland. The Mizzou Tigers have played a lot of teams close and finally got over the hump against Tennessee, but their scoring has dropped each SEC game from 79 to 49 in their latest bout. Tune in tonight and let’s see (and hope) the Auburn of the 2nd half shows up for the full 40. 

Tipoff is at 8PM (CT) on SEC Network. (I’ve double checked the time)

War Eagle!

Thanks...and I will be ready for the tipoff this time. ? and missing the first half of the Georgia game was not a bad thing anyway.  Hoping for a fast start this game..

Tonight is an interesting matchup. Mizzou has size and shooting, and they’re fantastic at home, having only lost to Florida in a heartbreaker at the buzzer. They’re a great FT shooting team, don’t turn it over much, and don’t allow a lot of points. Interestingly, they’re one of the slowe paces teams in the country at #330, and teams who have slowed the pace down have given Auburn some problems, at least early in games. 

They’re led in scoring by Kassius Robertson, a SG transfer from Canisius. Jordan Barnett is probably their overall best player. He’s also a big 3-point threat. They have two very good freshman big guys in Jontay Porter and Jeremiah Tilmon. They’re good scorers in the post, and Porter is shooting 40% from 3 in SEC play. PG Jordan Geist is a slasher who gave us a bunch of problems breaking us down on high ball screens last year. 

Mizzou plays a 9-man rotation, but 6 of those guys play heavy minutes. In SEC play, 5 of their guys are averaging 26+ minutes a game. They also don’t rebound well despite their good size, especially inside. They’re last in ORB and TRB in the conference and 13th in DRB. They also commit a lot of fouls, which could be beneficial to us if we can get a couple of their big minute guys in foul trouble. They’re not big on blocks or steals, but they seem to be one of the better shot defenders in the conference. Teams don’t typically shoot well against them, likely because of their length. 

This again seems to be a game about pace. Who’s going to play their style and force that on their opponent? We seem to be much more comfortable in a free-flowing game, and Mizzou looks to want to slow things down and play in the half court. Should be a fun game. 

We can't afford to have an off shooting night tonight IMO. Mizzou will limit our possessions and if we fall behind big early it will be extremely difficult to make a comeback because Mizzou will likely not let us run like we want to.

I hope in our half court sets we play good team ball, attack the basketb, make the extra pass, and don't force up contested long-range shots

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Thanks...and I will be ready for the tipoff this time. ? and missing the first half of the Georgia game was not a bad thing anyway.  Hoping for a fast start this game..

Ha- it was all part of the plan..

I hope we attack the basket early and often. I know that this team wants to heave the 3 from the tip, but if they don't fall early, it puts us behind the 8-bawl, esp. on unfamiliar goals on the road.

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I hope we attack the basket early and often. I know that this team wants to heave the 3 from the tip, but if they don't fall early, it puts us behind the 8-bawl, esp. on unfamiliar goals on the road.

I agree. Need to find a way to get some easier looks early in the game. Saw a stat earlier this week that in Auburn’s last 3 wins, it is 10-41 from 3 in the first half and 15-28 in the second half. Overall, we’re 25-87 in the first half and 45-86 in the second half. 

51 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I look for Auburn to stumble and lose tonight. So dang hard to win on the road.

:shovel:

51 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I agree. Need to find a way to get some easier looks early in the game. Saw a stat earlier this week that in Auburn’s last 3 wins, it is 10-41 from 3 in the first half and 15-28 in the second half. Overall, we’re 25-87 in the first half and 45-86 in the second half. 

Pretty incredible stat right derr.

2 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Pretty incredible stat right derr.

Just tells me we start forcing too many 3s when we're struggling as opposed to letting the game flow and come to us. Even if you add the Bama game in where we shot 7-15 in the first half and 2-11 in the second half,  the splits are still 17-56 and 17-39. That's over 4 shots difference from 3 between the first and second halves, and we're averaging almost 20 more points in the second half (29.5/48.25) during that four-game stretch. Seems like we're not forcing as many 3s and we're getting better looks and knocking down those good looks.

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

How does Mizzou deal with pressure in the backcourt? Anyone know? Just wondering if we can give them trouble with our defense in that respect.

They handle the ball pretty well from what I've seen. Geist is more difficult to defend than he looks. He was a problem for us last year. They don't turn it over much. With the success we had with the 2-2-1 press against UGA, I'd think we would use it at some point in this game. It might help us get the pace of the game where we want it by speeding them up. 

I’m hoping for a plan like the second half of the ole miss game.  Take it to the hoop!  Put foul pressure on their frosh bigs and then let Bryce hit a couple of 3’s - then it’ll be the Murray, Mclemore, Mustapha - take it to the basket show.  Heck Harper might finish a bunch at the rim.

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Another late tipoff.....hope this game goes much faster...and that we win of course.

Hopefully we’ll get started on time as well. Need this Florida/South Crackalacky game to not put us any later than it has to. 

Archived