Baseball vs. Memphis

At the middle of the 5th...Auburn trailing Memphis 3-1.....nothing much dramatic...only 3 hits for AU and Memphis with 6 hits. 

Memphis pitcher has been very effective and has the chance for the win but they are now into their bull pen so we will see what they have. AU has had it's chances...plenty of walks but a couple DPs squelched our rallies.

Watson pitched most of the game thus far for AU and looked pretty good and scattered the hits...one error behind him that aided in their first run.  Been in and out of the game...working on my taxes....so don't recall the details ....mostly had the game in the background.

So...in bottom of the 5th.... Anthony quickly dealt with and Ingram up with one out

Well, missed a bit of the game and got back in bottom of 7th with two and no outs and Johnson at the plate.  runner  on 3rd...need to get him in...but Johnson goes down with a K ..really needed to put the ball in play....but no

Holland at bat....good for us....WP allow...Holland to score and Estes goes to 2nd... Estes bounces to 3rd.....bad throw to first and Holland is safe and Estes went to 3rd so runners on the corners.

Williams at bat... 

Questionable balk call...but that's it and AU runners advance and another run is in ....two runs and still no hits.

Venter drives one deep to LF which the outfielder seemed to lose in the sun as he chased it....and Holland scores to tie the game and Williams holds at 3rd and Venter is at 2nd....still  only one out and game tied at4 for Anthony.

Anthony takes a called strike 3 and 

Ingram at bat and flies to CF 

Game tied at top of the 8th.....

Welby Malczewski pitching for AU trying to take it to the end I guess....off to a good start with a couple quick outs....and then a walk...

Great defensive play by Anthony a close play at first to end the inning. 

Tied 4-4 and in the bottom of the 8th

This team might be poised for great things in May. 

Good comeback win tonight. I wonder if AU will make a trip to Memphis next year. Hoping so because I don’t think Imwill be able to make it down for a game this year. 

10 hours ago, boomstick said:

Tied with the 1997 team for the best start in school history at 17-1. This team just keeps impressing. 

Not always impressing.....but they keep on finding ways to win some games when they don't play well ......and that's what counts...

Going to need some sharper play these next few days though it appeared that Butch was resting some guys or experimenting with where he played some people this week. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not always impressing.....but they keep on finding ways to win some games when they don't play well ......and that's what counts...

Going to need some sharper play these next few days though it appeared that Butch was resting some guys or experimenting with where he played some people this week. 

If you're finding unimpressive things about this team, IMO you're being way too critical and looking way too hard for any microscopic problems. 

14 minutes ago, boomstick said:

If you're finding unimpressive things about this team, IMO you're being way too critical and looking way too hard for any microscopic problems. 

I'm guessing the coaches might agree with me.....not being exactly critical  but just suggesting that we need to step up the play a bit....or the aggies will have a good weekend. JMO

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm guessing the coaches might agree with me.....not being exactly critical  but just suggesting that we need to step up the play a bit....or the aggies will have a good weekend. JMO

I'm sure the coaches will say they always want us to play better and keep improving. I still think it's hard to find anything unimpressive about this team.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

What area or position specifically?

55 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

What area or position specifically?

I'm thinking walks and LOB....can't make it too easy for the aggies.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm thinking walks and LOB....can't make it too easy for the aggies.

Apparently Butch read the staff the riot act after the ugliness on Tuesday.  He said they responded well last night...spoke specifically about Malczewski going 3-0 on a batter in the 9th and then taking a deep breath (gaining focus) and throwing three straight strikes.  As for the LOB's, we've executed at a rate of at least one less than fatal in every game but one :big:.  

I kid, but there is something about figuring out a way.  If you listened to Luke after last night, these guys have reasonable confidence.

No. 14 Auburn rallies to beat Memphis 5-4

I feel good about the team and prospects but it's pretty big step to the SEC tonight....even at home, everything needs to go well.

It will be tough to follow basketball and baseball at pretty much the same time....computer and TVs will be getting a workout.

On the other hand, if recent baseball games are any indication, the basketball ball game should be over by about the 4th inning..Image result for emoticons

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

TOMORROW NIGHT (Friday).

I knew it was Friday....just thinking that today was Friday......when you are retired, all days seem pretty much alike...:)

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I knew it was Friday....just thinking that today was Friday......when you are retired, all days seem pretty much alike...:)

I'm trying to decide if that sounds awesome or depressing.

6 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

I'm trying to decide if that sounds awesome or depressing.

it's pretty awesome in my view. ..or has been for the past 20 years. ..though I can imagine for some people it would be the opposite. 

I stay busy but other than when people schedule balls games (or meetings) and such, it does not matter to me whether it's Tuesday or Friday...and I don't wear a watch and never carry my cell phone with me....absolute freedom...:)

Archived