2019 softball recruiting thread

Just saw Twitter announcements for Calvert, Koepke, and Lindsey Garcia from Broward Co., FL., giving us a total class of 7 coming in next fall.  Welcome and War Eagle, ladies!  I think we have 21 now (without checking) and we lose 5 to graduation after the 2019 season

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Just saw that Flosoftball released their rankings on the 2019 class.  Actually AU was listed #15.  In the SEC teams ranked above AU Tennessee ( #1), Florida, LSU, Kentucky, Texas A&M. The article does not require a subscription so you can go to the site and read.

Wonder who the 3 top 100 players are...Koepke (18), Calvert and Majors?

3 hours ago, wildling said:

Wonder who the 3 top 100 players are...Koepke (18), Calvert and Majors?

According to the news article, Dismukes was ranked as a USA Elite Top 30 All-American.

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

According to the news article, Dismukes was ranked as a USA Elite Top 30 All-American. 

Looks like that just means she attended a camp and was one of the best attendees, probably good enough for the hot 100 though.

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/5968164-2017-usa-elite-select-30-all-american-teams-announced

Not true as to just attending a camp. You must be invited to this camp and the results of your participation at this camp puts you into a group they choose the USA Elite Select All Americans in each age group. KK was selected and qualified for said honor. 

Three of the 2019 signees were not on the list of committed players I had from earlier this year. They are Dismukes, Engelkes and Garcia. I looked for info on Garcia and came up with the following. The 5'6'' short stop committed June 2017. Had some interest from LSU. Plays travel ball with Gold Coast Hurricaines. In their 8 game season this past summer they went 6 - 2. Garcia was their leading hitter with .500 average and .609 OBP. She had zero strike outs, 7 singles, a double and a triple. Also 2 walks and 3 hit by pitch (can you say Emily Carosone), 2 stolen bases and 1 caught stealing. In an interview I saw she was asked about her hitting and she said something to the effect of " I just try to see ball and hit ball"....sounds familiar. Lets hope she continues to trend in that direction during her HS senior season and when she joins the Tigers next fall.

20 hours ago, wmsau said:

Not true as to just attending a camp. You must be invited to this camp and the results of your participation at this camp puts you into a group they choose the USA Elite Select All Americans in each age group. KK was selected and qualified for said honor. 

I didn't say "just attending a camp". But if you didn't attend the camp you're not on the list, correct?

On 11/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, wmsau said:

It is a great event and an honor to be selected, but the scope of participation is limited due to it being a pay to play event.

Just to set the record straight.  Dismukes is from Holtville (2A) and not Wetumpka (6A).  The distance between the two is just a few miles, but if you want to get a fight started, tell someone from Holtville they're from Wetumpka.  They used to be bitter rivals, even though Holtville has always been the smaller school.  In the last several years, Wetumpka's growth has exploded, so I don't think there is as much competion in high school sports.  There is still spirited competion in youth sports though.

Welcome to all the signees.

Glad you set the record straight.  The original Twitter announcement listed her as being from Wetumpka, which is more of a rival with my alma mater, Benjamin Russell.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not directly related to recruiting but a new player has appeared on the softball roster and unusual at that.  Rachel Cook, 5'6'' ,OF, junior.  Appears she has not played anywhere since high school at Dadeville.  I wonder if she was a student and did some tryouts and the decided to put her on the team?  Got to be an interesting story here.  We now list 22 players.

Given the injuries that are still mending and Tissier out for the year, it is another practice body. Probably a runner at best.

11 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Given the injuries that are still mending and Tissier out for the year, it is another practice body. Probably a runner at best.

I had not heard that Tissier  was out.  Can you give an indication about the when and what regarding her situation.  I was so looking forward to watching her this year; she appeared so eager to learn and was looking very confident behind the plate..  Likewise are Godwin and Moseley still in the "infirmary"?  I knew Godwin tore her ACL last Feb and had repair but never saw anything about the situation with Moseley.  I know Godwin was an All State catcher.  Presume Veach remains at catcher and Nillen gets more active in the rotation. She will be interesting to watch. This is an upsetting revelation but appreciate your update.

Double down on Slot's comment.  Tissier has a beautiful swing, was hoping she would give us some much-needed help at the plate.  I'm still grieving the loss of Olszewski in this regard.  Abby had a dinger on Oct 5, so did something happen after that?

On 11/15/2018 at 5:08 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Any relation to Reese? SIAP

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that KK Dismukes is on the 42-girl list of invitees to try out for the Team USA Junior team, the only one of our signees on that list.  Team is coached by Heather Tarr of UW.  uat has two players on the list.

Actually, not yet.  The article you referenced is the one I was using; it announced the 14 girls who advanced from open tryout to join the 28 already selected for the Junior USA team selection trials.  Those trials ended yesterday, with trials for the Senior team commencing today.  We should hear something soon, but the committee may wait until the Senior trials are over to announce both teams.

I should add that there were over 100 girls at the open tryout that KK advanced from.

From what I read there were 4 players from either on team or committed with Bama.  Washington I believe had 3 including K. Lynch. Total of 20 players  currently.

• 1 month later...

I noticed Auburn signed another 2019 player yesterday. Phoebe Florian from North Carolina. Plays at Ardrey Kell HS and also play with the East Cobb Bullets during the summer. Looks to have a lot of speed and plays shortstop mostly. Handles the bat very well.

Archived