Poll: Cord Sandberg, Willis, Gatewood, or Bo Nix?

2019 QB1?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts in 2019?

• Malik Willis
    • Joey Gatewood
    • Cord Sandberg (if he comes to AU)
    • Bo Nix

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo Nix as a true freshman will not start game 1 unless he is a phenom. Some of you need to pump the breaks a little. He first needs to learn the game speed if anything and probably get bigger. Would not be surprised if he gets a RS.

Cord Sandberg 

Given our track record since Gus was first an OC in 2009, "none of the above" is just as likely the answer as the two options given. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cord Sandberg 

Given our track record since Gus was first an OC in 2009, "none of the above" is just as likely the answer as the two options given. 

Yup, don't see Bo or MW starting unless MW gets A TON of reps this year.

Am I missing something here with MW? The guy looks perfect for this offense and has performed pretty well in the time he's gotten to play. Is Bo that good that he can come in as a freshman and start over a very athletic and talented 2 year veteran of this offense?

MW looked pretty bad in the spring game from what i recall. His "looking good" plays mostly consisted of him running the ball. I agree JUCO player to be named later is the most likely answer based on our recent track record with QBs

If I have to choose between the 2 I think I'd give the edge to MW due to his ability to run.  Could see Gus installing the NM 2.0 offense or something comparable. 

Malik or Gatewood should be the choices.  I pick Malik unless Gatewood breaks out in practice and Auburn’s does practice better than any team in the country according to Gus.  Seriously though even if Malik looked like garbage in Aday throwing, his running will open the passing game up a lot.  I say this a lot on here but go look at Nick Marshall against Wazzou in game 1.  I left that game thinking 6-5 if we’re lucky.  I think we’ll see a lot of Malik come game 2 and then we can start forming an opinion. Preferably it’d be Malik 19, 20. Gatewood 21,22 Nix 23,24.  If Gatewood is Cam lite then shave a year off.

Joey Gatewood 

I have to think there is no way Bo walks in and starts as a TF, high football IQ or not. And Willis would of been perfect for the Nick Marshall offense but we don't run that anymore. 

I hope Gatewood gets the nod. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Joey Gatewood 

I have to think there is no way Bo walks in and starts as a TF, high football IQ or not. And Willis would of been perfect for the Nick Marshall offense but we don't run that anymore. 

I hope Gatewood gets the nod. 

We don't run the Malzahn zone read offense anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to incorporate that into Lindsey's offense. Look at what happened against Alabama when Stidham became a running threat. This offense was already good with a pocket passer last year, but if you have a 50/50 shot to pull and run, this offense could become unbelievably nasty, really quick.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We don't run the Malzahn zone read offense anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to incorporate that into Lindsey's offense. Look at what happened against Alabama when Stidham became a running threat. This offense was already good with a pocket passer last year, but if you have a 50/50 shot to pull and run, this offense could become unbelievably nasty, really quick.

Yeah, it would be easy to swap the RPO with the zone read, but still... I still say Gatewood. 

Basing results off of A day is like predicting future All-stars off of NBA summer league performances.  

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Basing results off of A day is like predicting future All-stars off of NBA summer league performances.  

*Cough Colin Sexton...Cough Cough*

2019 is likely to be a tough year for Auburn at quarterback. On one hand starting a Freshman at qb is rarely a good thing. On the other hand, can Willis complete a forward pass. And on one foot, Gatewood is not ready.

I have faith in Chip Lindsey to develop quarterbacks, until he goes all Lashley on us. I'm going to assume every qb on the roster is capable of completing passes until one trots out there and gives us the ole Jeremy Johnson treatment. haha

No way Nix starts the first game as a True Freshman. 

Gus will open up the competition with Willis and Gatewood and even Nix if he is there in the spring, but he will go with whoever makes the least mistakes and a better handle on running the offense. 

It should be Willis as he will be the most experienced, but i feel unless he shows consistent improvement, it will be a tossup between he and Gatewood, with Nix a very close third.

14 minutes ago, bg5 said:

No way Nix waits more than a year.

And what are you basing this on?

Archived