Poll: Cord Sandberg, Willis, Gatewood, or Bo Nix?

2019 QB1?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts in 2019?

• Malik Willis
    • Joey Gatewood
    • Cord Sandberg (if he comes to AU)
    • Bo Nix

First of all, let me remind you of  the precautionary tale of Ohio State. Back in the late 80s, Ohio State Star quarterback Johnny Utah led them to the Rose Bowl. On that fateful January 1 afternoon, Johnny Utah went down with an injury. Despite multiple surgeries he never played college football again, instead opting for a career in federal law-enforcement. But Ohio State had multiple back up quarterbacks so they were OK. 

My beloved Auburn Tigers have not had the same quarterback success as other top tier SEC schools where we have chosen recruits wisely, or developed high school quarterbacks properly. Whatever the case, whoever is to blame, it has simply been a long time since we took a kid out of high school and he was anything better than mediocre. Most never came within shouting distance of mediocre. I distinctly remember Kiyale Fraser, or however he spelled the simple name of Kyle,  in the fourth quarter, after a seemingly 4-for-30, six interception performance, walking off the field after another three and out, with a big grin on his face. HE WAS HAVING FUN, SUCKING. Then there was Jeremy throwing into 3 defenders AGAIN AND AGAIN.

AUBURN—-TAKE ANYONE WHO SHOWS A HINT OF TALENT AT THE QB POSITION.  WE HAVE THREE TIGHT ENDS AND WE ONLY NEED ONE.  THEY NEVER GET HURT, BLOCKING.  Take more quarterbacks.  We have 21 receivers, only three or four of them can create any separation whatsoever with the defensive backs, and two of those that can, are out.

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING AUBURN, MR. SANDBURG

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes the truth hurts. Other top-tier SEC schools play true freshmen, and red shirt freshmen, in actual SEC football games against top 10 competition, nationally televised and they Excel.  Our back up quarterbacks, regardless of freshman, sophomore, junior,  do not do well in mop up duty, the silly A-game, or anything else for that matter,  but we make excuses for them ad nauseum.  Would any of you want to start the season with anyone other than JS?  Good gracious, send us more QB’s. 

25 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Gus's stubbornness will be his downfall. 

He's not nearly as stubborn as Pat Dye was.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He's not nearly as good of a football coach, either.

(But he might get there.)

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Id take some partially dual threat 3 star personally over him if we gotta give one or the other a scholly 

Why would you rather take an 18 year old senior in HS who can't get here until at least December over a 23 year old who has been playing professional sports for the last 5 years, has the same eligibility as the HS senior, and has far and away more emotional and physical maturity than the HS kid? 

Think of it this way. We wanted to take 2 HS QBs in the 2018 class. Instead, we got a HS QB who is a bit of a project but a freak athlete, and we got a 23 year old freshman who has been playing professional baseball for the last 5 years. Nothing about this seems like a negative. Plus, with the offense running in it's current state, we seem to be shifting to more of a pass-first style of DTQB, which is the mold I think Sandberg fits.

If Gus can’t recruit a high school quarterback and develop them into a college starter then what’s the point of recruiting them?  Just bring in the top Juco prospect every year.  Sean White is the only Qb that Gus brought from high school that has been half way successful.  I’m glad Cord chose Auburn but if I’m another coach recruiting against Auburn it’s going to be easy pickings on Qbs.

Just now, Win4AU said:

If Gus can’t recruit a high school quarterback and develop them into a college starter then what’s the point of recruiting them?  Just bring in the top Juco prospect every year.  Sean White is the only Qb that Gus brought from high school that has been half way successful.  I’m glad Cord chose Auburn but if I’m another coach recruiting against Auburn it’s going to be easy pickings on Qbs.

It's definitely an issue, but I don't think signing Sandberg is a sign that we're giving up on the HS QBs we've recently signed. This kid fell into our laps almost overnight. And with the type of talent he possessed in HS, if he wanted to come here and we had room for him, you take a chance on him every time.

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

Why would you rather take an 18 year old senior in HS who can't get here until at least December over a 23 year old who has been playing professional sports for the last 5 years, has the same eligibility as the HS senior, and has far and away more emotional and physical maturity than the HS kid? 

Think of it this way. We wanted to take 2 HS QBs in the 2018 class. Instead, we got a HS QB who is a bit of a project but a freak athlete, and we got a 23 year old freshman who has been playing professional baseball for the last 5 years. Nothing about this seems like a negative. Plus, with the offense running in it's current state, we seem to be shifting to more of a pass-first style of DTQB, which is the mold I think Sandberg fits.

That's where the NFL is headed, too, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's where the NFL is headed, too, IMO. 

It makes sense. Stidham fits that mold. Nix fits that mold. From what I've seen from Sandberg on film, he fits that mold. He can throw the ball well, has good touch and timing and awareness, good accuracy, and then can run if he needs to. 

Let's not take away from the fact that Georgia and Bama both got crazy lucky that their Freshman QBs performed as well as they did especially considering that they were the starters at the beginning of the season.

The safe choice is that MW starts next year. But Sandberg might have the highest outside chance.

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It makes sense. Stidham fits that mold. Nix fits that mold. From what I've seen from Sandberg on film, he fits that mold. He can throw the ball well, has good touch and timing and awareness, good accuracy, and then can run if he needs to. 

I think that's what Gus and all of us were hoping that JJ would be, and what Sean White was, also. Guys who can move in the pocket, avoid pressure, get outside the pocket when it breaks down, and take the yards they're given on the ground, all while keeping their eyes downfield. I'm so-so on Sandberg's throws- words like "float" and "need more zip" have been used and I agree- but he's accurate and he does all that stuff above, like the other names you mention.

Wentz, Smith, Cousins, Carr... I mean, you take a Newton or a Wilson or a Watson or a Jackson if he comes along, but there's usually only 1-2 of those in the country at any given time.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

Let's not take away from the fact that Georgia and Bama both got crazy lucky that their Freshman QBs performed as well as they did especially considering that they were the starters at the beginning of the season.

The safe choice is that MW starts next year. But Sandberg might have the highest outside chance.

bama and uga did a great job of using the available talent around them. Admittedly, both had a lot of it. 

I think on Gus' record of developing successful HS QBs he recruits, the really tell will be how Nix develops. Other than Nix, who was a stud QB that was wanted by the top schools that GM got? JJ? Frazier? JJ should have been based on him playing in the top level of competition in HS. But I think Nix with his pedigree, his stats as a passer, has the best chance to show he can be a top level SEC..and future NFLer. If he fails, then I may jump on the Gus can't pick and develop HS QBs.

Although the difference is Chip is his first OC, that will bring a true passing pedigree to his QBs. I don't count Lashlee as he was  a GM clone....

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that's what Gus and all of us were hoping that JJ would be, and what Sean White was, also. Guys who can move in the pocket, avoid pressure, get outside the pocket when it breaks down, and take the yards they're given on the ground, all while keeping their eyes downfield. I'm so-so on Sandberg's throws- words like "float" and "need more zip" have been used and I agree- but he's accurate and he does all that stuff above, like the other names you mention.

Wentz, Smith, Cousins, Carr... I mean, you take a Newton or a Wilson or a Watson or a Jackson if he comes along, but there's usually only 1-2 of those in the country at any given time.

For whatever reason, I'm not too worried about arm strength. He played OF his entire baseball career and was projected as a plus arm strength, plus arm accuracy guy coming out of HS on some draft scouting reports. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily translate to strength throwing the football, but it's not something I worry about with him.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

For whatever reason, I'm not too worried about arm strength. He played OF his entire baseball career and was projected as a plus arm strength, plus arm accuracy guy coming out of HS on some draft scouting reports. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily translate to strength throwing the football, but it's not something I worry about with him.

Fair points. It's just when you watch his film, it looks weird. But the ball tended to get where it was supposed to go, so who am I to nitpick??

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Those Frosh QB's had a boatload of top shelf talent surrounding them.

In the NC game I saw a lot of veteran/seasoned UGA players on the field, and that helped their young QB tremendously.  Smart getting those vets to return for their final season was huge.

On the other side of the field, I swear I counted over half a dozen freshmen on the field in the 2nd half of the NC game for UAT.....young players all over the place in addition to a tFR QB won that game for UAT.   :dead:

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why is Sandberg on this team 

Do you mean In General?  ... or do you mean 2018 vs 2019?

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Here you go...

2f2gep.jpg

I do not know why, and I don’t know where this thought is coming from in my head, but I’ve had strange thoughts like this before only to see them become reality. Something deep in the fiber of my body says that somehow, at some time, Cord Sandberg is going to be an absolute hero to the Auburn faithful

Also, Oracle79, few people truly appreciate the bridge pole and the downrigger while trolling the blue water. I put the cigar lead on the flatline opposite the downrigger rod. I like the cigar lead to be let back equal to the closest teaser bait, black skirted ballyhoo 30 feet behind cigar lead. Lower angle of line by pinning the line to the handle with a number 64 rubber band. Sweetest sound in the world when bit. I miss bluewater fishing. 

On 7/31/2018 at 11:11 AM, oracle79 said:

Bravo! :bow:

Related image

3 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Also, Oracle79, few people truly appreciate the bridge pole and the downrigger while trolling the blue water. I put the cigar lead on the flatline opposite the downrigger rod. I like the cigar lead to be let back equal to the closest teaser bait, black skirted ballyhoo 30 feet behind cigar lead. Lower angle of line by pinning the line to the handle with a number 64 rubber band. Sweetest sound in the world when bit. I miss bluewater fishing. 

Hope one of you can clear this up for me.

Hunting over a baited field is a no-no, but

I think chumming over trolling lines is OK?

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well to throw another wrinkle in the debate... Bo Nix is enrolling early:

https://twitter.com/bo_nix10/status/1024726136784408576?s=09

I think we knew that all along. Cord still gets the whole preseason and fall. He could theoretically be QB2 going into the season opener. 

Archived