Poll: Cord Sandberg, Willis, Gatewood, or Bo Nix?

2019 QB1?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts in 2019?

• Malik Willis
    • Joey Gatewood
    • Cord Sandberg (if he comes to AU)
    • Bo Nix

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

JMO to start this off.

I do not get why so many people including some of our best posters think Cord wins the starting job in 2019.

My thoughts:

Cord - He will not have played QB at any level in 6 years. How can he not be very rusty. He should have great maturity though. He was an accurate thrower in HS.

Bo - will have at least as much experience as Cord when he arrives at AU. He has been playing QB with no years taken off. He is a higher ranked QB coming in, looks like he has better footwork and a stronger arm from a bunch of film I have watched, and has been groomed for this job all his life. He is also an accurate passer.

The only thing I would give Cord is age right now.  OK, everyone, start slamming me. Thanks

i don't know about others but i think some JUCO QB will be our starter just because we typically use JUCO QBs as long as Gus has coached here. I'm sure its because of this that and the other but still the fact remains that most years Gus has started a JUCO QB and not a QB that came to AU out of HS. Gus has been running the offense at AU too long for that too just be ignored. And that trend isn't changing this year.....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i don't know about others but i think some JUCO QB will be our starter just because we typically use JUCO QBs as long as Gus has coached here. I'm sure its because of this that and the other but still the fact remains that most years Gus has started a JUCO QB and not a QB that came to AU out of HS. Gus has been running the offense at AU too long for that too just be ignored. And that trend isn't changing this year.....

Crazy to think that Nix could be the first, and that he might have to show he can do it as a true freshman.

At least we got Stid with 3 years of eligibility remaining. 

35 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I get what your saying but I don't think a Juco will be our QB next year. We are not in the process of recruiting one that I am aware of. All of Gus's QB's on the roster that we expect to be here next year as well as Bo and Cord are non Juco's. Cord will be a Freshman even though he is in his mid 20's. Bo will be a true freshmen just out of HS. WIllis and Gatewood committed out of HS too.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I get what your saying but I don't think a Juco will be our QB next year. We are not in the process of recruiting one that I am aware of. All of Gus's QB's on the roster that we expect to be here next year as well as Bo and Cord are non Juco's. Cord will be a Freshman even though he is in his mid 20's. Bo will be a true freshmen just out of HS. WIllis and Gatewood committed out of HS too.

I took his juco comment to mean "non-straight-out-of-high-school" but you're right, it really is an important distinction. Big difference between 2 and 3 or more seasons of eligibility. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

How so? We are talking 2019. Jarrett will be gone & Willis has to develop as a QB.

Oh. If you mean this year then it would be Joey or Cord (if he chooses AU) after Jarrett & Malik. Cord will be on scholly, not a walk on. We have a scholly open.

My first point is, we are set for this year as long as we stay healthy. By 2019, Bo will be here and we will have a more seasoned Willis and Gatewood. If that all goes as planned, we will be pretty set at QB, with MW, JG, BN, and Cord.  My reference to possible injuries this season, if we don’t sign Cord, we will have an unseasoned JG backed up by a walk on. Given the choice in that scenario, it wouldn’t hurt to have a former pro athlete on the roster. Bottom line for me, there’s no downside in taking him this year. 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:29 AM, SumterAubie said:

2019 is likely to be a tough year for Auburn at quarterback. On one hand starting a Freshman at qb is rarely a good thing. On the other hand, can Willis complete a forward pass. And on one foot, Gatewood is not ready.

MW and JG have tons of reps and opportunities for development between now and 2019. We will find out what kind of QB developer Chip is. 

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

MW and JG have tons of reps and opportunities for development between now and 2019. We will find out what kind of QB developer Chip is. 

I know right! Seems to me that too many people are flat out dismissing JG and mw out of hand to get coached up between now and next season by coach Chip L! I can very much see Willis improving under stidham, and getting coached up to improve his passing ability under ccl ,while we already know he can run like our 2013/14 qb, Nick Marshall, could!

16 hours ago, boomstick said:

Is it bad that none of these options excite me for various reasons?

Bo excites me for the future, not so much for 2019.

15 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We will find out what kind of QB developer Chip is. 

It's not all on Chip. The kids have to be absorbent to the coaching also plus they have to have the mental capacity to make quick decisions & correct reads also..

10 hours ago, toddc said:

I know right! Seems to me that too many people are flat out dismissing JG and mw out of hand to get coached up between now and next season by coach Chip L! I can very much see Willis improving under stidham, and getting coached up to improve his passing ability under ccl ,while we already know he can run like our 2013/14 qb, Nick Marshall, could!

Not sure it's fair to grade Chip's ability to coach QB's based on MW or Gatewood. Both are projects at the QB position. Everyone knew this coming in.  MW was a late addition and Gatewood was a talent you had to take a chance on. Neither are anywhere near ready to play SEC ball. MW, struggling. Looks to be a #2 or #3 while at AU. The jury is still out on Gatewood. He has a long way to go. 

10 hours ago, toddc said:

I can very much see Willis improving under stidham, and getting coached up to improve his passing ability under ccl

Won't matter if he doesn't take care of the ball better.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Won't matter if he doesn't take care of the ball better.

Willis is a great kid. Hope he can take it to the next level. Just don't think he can. It happens. He was worth the risk. 

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bo excites me for the future, not so much for 2019.

Completely agree. Excited to see him in 2020 and beyond. Not excited if we have to play him in 2019.

No matter how good Bo is, it's just not a great statement about the program if he has to start game 1 of 2019. Of course, one true frosh started the national title game and another won it, so what do I know. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure it's fair to grade Chip's ability to coach QB's based on MW or Gatewood. Both are projects at the QB position. Everyone knew this coming in.  MW was a late addition and Gatewood was a talent you had to take a chance on. Neither are anywhere near ready to play SEC ball. MW, struggling. Looks to be a #2 or #3 while at AU. The jury is still out on Gatewood. He has a long way to go. 

Seems like AU is signing more than our fair share of projects lately. Especially at critical positions like QB and LT. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Seems like AU is signing more than our fair share of projects lately. Especially at critical positions like QB and LT. 

I understand, but give me projects like Gatewood vs. the baggage that went with White.   Yes he was highly touted coming out of HS and rocketed up the charts at the Nike camps, but.....

Nick Marshall was a project also.  

I am going to guess that 1 out of 4 probably works out.  Sprinkle in some Bo Nix, we are going to continue to attract talent and projects.  I just think Auburn is about to have a run of stability at the QB position like we have never seen.  

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I understand, but give me projects like Gatewood vs. the baggage that went with White.   Yes he was highly touted coming out of HS and rocketed up the charts at the Nike camps, but.....

Nick Marshall was a project also.  

I am going to guess that 1 out of 4 probably works out.  Sprinkle in some Bo Nix, we are going to continue to attract talent and projects.  I just think Auburn is about to have a run of stability at the QB position like we have never seen.  

I agree with you. And I hope both of our backups develop into great players for us. It is just so frustrating to read about not one, but both of our backup QBs being a long way from SEC ready. (That was the sentiment from a poster with a lot more inside knowledge than I have). I’m ready for us to start a chain of signing Bo Nix level prospects at QB every year, the way UAT, UGA, and Clemson seem to. 

On 7/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, ellitor said:
On 7/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, JFDTiger80 said:

He is a higher ranked QB coming in

And that matters a whole lot no doubt.

E, I think this does matter. We don't know if it pans out but the HS rankings are what the college recruiting sites feel about the player. The recruiting sites feel that Bo is the better player out of HS and that is why he is ranked higher. 

29 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E, I think this does matter. We don't know if it pans out but the HS rankings are what the college recruiting sites feel about the player. The recruiting sites feel that Bo is the better player out of HS and that is why he is ranked higher. 

If recruiting sites tell you that 50 guys are 5*s and 50 other guys are 3*s, then you're going to see more NFL players out of the 5* group. What they say about one 4* vs another 4*? Eh. 

Nix is likely the more gifted QB overall, but not necessarily by such a large margin that it trumps Sandberg's advantages. I consider those to be physical maturity, size and an extra fall on campus. Superior mental and emotional maturity is also in play, but goodness knows I'm proof that you can't judge maturity based on age.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If recruiting sites tell you that 50 guys are 5*s and 50 other guys are 3*s, then you're going to see more NFL players out of the 5* group. What they say about one 4* vs another 4*? Eh. 

Nix is likely the more gifted QB overall, but not necessarily by such a large margin that it trumps Sandberg's advantages. I consider those to be physical maturity, size and an extra fall on campus. Superior mental and emotional maturity is also in play, but goodness knows I'm proof that you can't judge maturity based on age.

I could see Nix being more emotionally mature than anything just based on coaching from his dad and the fact that he can share that experience. Heaven knows Patrick was ready the minute he was called on of course he wasn't a true freshman. I just think that's a huge plus for Bo. Mentally so much can go into that and throw kids off their game. Jeremy Johnson was not nearly as bad as he looked at times but man he had some rough moments. Maybe we hire a analyst like this guy to make sure we start QBs only when they are ready...

ill-be-back-when-youre-mature-25062012.png

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why is Sandberg on this team 

To provide depth and/or options at the QB position.

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Id take some partially dual threat 3 star personally over him if we gotta give one or the other a scholly 

Why?

Archived