Poll: Cord Sandberg, Willis, Gatewood, or Bo Nix?

2019 QB1?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts in 2019?

• Malik Willis
    • Joey Gatewood
    • Cord Sandberg (if he comes to AU)
    • Bo Nix

That is why I said this Cord Guy gives me a Danny E feel. He looks like he can be a solid Collegiate QB. Nothing more , nothing less. He won’t win you games and he won’t lose you games. My thinking is he will come in more mature than these other guys, which helps at the QB position. He can sit behind JS and learn the offense as well for a year. 

Now, he is left hander like Tim Tebow and he has maybe some of the athletic ability like Tim Tebow but other than that , does he have the skill set like Tim Tebow? Survey says no.

I went back to 2012 and saw he had zero offers from any of the major Florida schools in 2012 and signed with Mississippi State before deciding to play baseball. Now that doesn’t make him a bad player , but it is telling. It is a sign,whether people want to accept it or not. In fact the same two major schools back in 2012 are the same major schools recruiting him now, Auburn and LSU. 

It’s like when you see a 6’5 225 random black dude playing QB. Most analyst say, he reminds me of Cam Newton. But does he really? Or does he just look like Cam Newton. We will let the performances speak for themselves.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

That is why I said this Cord Guy gives me a Danny E feel. He looks like he can be a solid Collegiate QB. Nothing more , nothing less. He won’t win you games and he won’t lose you games. My thinking is he will come in more mature than these other guys, which helps at the QB position. He can sit behind JS and learn the offense as well for a year. 

Now, he is left hander like Tim Tebow and he has maybe some of the athletic ability like Tim Tebow but other than that , does he have the skill set like Tim Tebow? Survey says no.

I went back to 2012 and saw he had zero offers from any of the major Florida schools in 2012 and signed with Mississippi State before deciding to play baseball. Now that doesn’t make him a bad player , but it is telling. It is a sign,whether people want to accept it or not. In fact the same two major schools back in 2012 are the same major schools recruiting him now, Auburn and LSU. 

It’s like when you see a 6’5 225 random black dude playing QB. Most analyst say, he reminds me of Cam Newton. But does he really? Or does he just look like Cam Newton. We will let the performances speak for themselves.

...or when you see any black dude and he's automatically a dual threat. It's crazy. 

Good points all. My initial take was that he's a super solid depth acquisition. Then I heard he might be a starter. Now I don't know what to think but I still support recruiting him. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...or when you see any black dude and he's automatically a dual threat. It's crazy. 

Good points all. My initial take was that he's a super solid depth acquisition. Then I heard he might be a starter. Now I don't know what to think but I still support recruiting him. 

I support it too brother! I’ve always said you can’t have too many QBs. I am just bored at the moment haha. Is it football season yet? I have been watching freaking flag football on YouTube that is how bad it is.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I am not talking about scholarship wise. Like I said if you are an instrumental talent, teams aren’t going to let you walk away just like that. I don’t think Dan Mullen, who particularly has unknowns coming into 2018 at the QB position, is losing sleep over Cord not naming UF in the final top 3. 

That's an easy thing to say but you haven't provided any potential clear input to what Mullen could do. Not sure if you are aware of this but even not on scholly if Cord walks on somewhere & plays at all in 2018 he still has to count to a 2018 25 initial counter limit just as a first year schoilly student would. Therefore, Mullens' hands would still be tied on Cord til January at the earliest.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Nothing more , nothing less. He won’t win you games and he won’t lose you games

That's a pretty definitive, bold statement given the kid has not had 1 college snap. You could be right but to make such a definitive statement at this point seems awfully short sided, especially not knowing what his arm has turned into through maturity & playing baseball for 5 years..

3 hours ago, DAG said:

he had zero offers from any of the major Florida schools

Misleading statement. The coaches running the Florida schools in 2013 were running pro style offenses. Wouldn't be a system fit so there was no point in offering him. On the other hand, 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned is he was offered by Clemson & Baylor, who at the time were at the forefront of having prolific offense using athletic QBs. Those schools offering is more telling than the Florida schools not IMO.

Gatewood not ready. Willis has been out there and gotten hit. It's been said Willis has been very impressive. I think he's the guy. Gonna have another Nick Marshall, I think.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That's an easy thing to say but you haven't provided any potential clear input to what Mullen could do. Not sure if you are aware of this but even not on scholly if Cord walks on somewhere & plays at all in 2018 he still has to count to a 2018 25 initial counter limit just as a first year schoilly student would. Therefore, Mullens' hands would still be tied on Cord til January at the earliest.

Personally, I don’t give a crap what Mullen does and that hasn’t been my main point . IMO, without any clear input, I believe Gus is gunning for this guy, who has been absent from football for several years because he does not trust what he has behind JS currently . Furthermore, based on what limited film we have of him playing football at his highest level, IMO, I don’t foresee him being a guy who is going to take you over the top (Doesn’t mean I am saying he sucks or we couldn’t benefit from him) Do I have any insight on this more than anyone else? No. It is my opinion and if you don’t agree with it that is fine. Agree to disagree.

Also, if you are talented, it don’t matter what offense you are in. JS is a talented player. He is efficient in both the Baylor offense and Auburn offense. They are pretty distinctive offenses. Not to mention, LSU offered him right? They ran an NFL offense pro set back in 2013, no? So he is good enough to get a scholarship to run LSU pro set offense but not the Florida schools? That doesn’t make sense.

I know this, Tim Tebow, a dual threat QB was getting offered by all types of different schools who had many different types of offenses.

Either way, we have very different opinions about this guy. I can’t spend all week going back and forth with you about him. So I will let you have the last word as this will be my last post regarding this with you. I guess we will see where truth aligns in the future.

one more funny thing, JF3 got an offer to FSU as a QB and he was in the same class as this guy. 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, bg5 said:

No way Nix waits more than a year.

Will Nix EE?

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, AUGoo said:

Will Nix EE?

I think I read that he was.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:27 AM, DAG said:

A mature Danny E on the roster sounds like not a bad thing to me. Maybe don’t want him as “my guy” but potentially as a mature guy on the bench to step in should things go awry....heck yeah, I think that’s worth a scholly, at this position especially 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Assuming Jarrett Stidham is off to the pros next year, which of these 4 is more likely to start Game 1 in 2019?

We don't open up with Clemson do we?

If so it could be all four.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:41 PM, ellitor said:

You just wrote that every new walkon that plays in 2018 counts against his school's 25 limit. That's one helluva big change. Are you sure about that? When did this start? It's certainly a new and important change, if that's what has been done. How many years does a walkon have to sit before he can hold for kicks and not count against the limit?

2 hours ago, fredst said:

A mature Danny E on the roster sounds like not a bad thing to me. Maybe don’t want him as “my guy” but potentially as a mature guy on the bench to step in should things go awry....heck yeah, I think that’s worth a scholly, at this position especially 

I am not resistant against giving the scholly. Just the false pretense that he might be more than what he is. 

I believe Nix is planning to be an EE.  With those few extra months, a former D1 OC dad who is also his HS HC, along with his familiarity of the psychological adjustments from HS ball to SEC ball, I think Nix comes in as ready as a TF QB can be.  If he’s not week 1 starter in 2019, he will at least make it a difficult decision.   

wasn't Brandon Cox the last left handed QB of significance?  I would love to see Gatewood develop rapidly and turn into upper tier SEC QB. All in all, I think Bo will start sooner than later. Willis needs to get in as many reps as possible in the Alabama State game just to get some playing time in. He was playing against one of the best defenses in the country during the spring game.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:09 PM, Mikey said:

You just wrote that every new walkon that plays in 2018 counts against his school's 25 limit. That's one helluva big change. Are you sure about that? When did this start? It's certainly a new and important change, if that's what has been done. How many years does a walkon have to sit before he can hold for kicks and not count against the limit?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @ellitor is assuming he would get a scholly ASAP.  IF, he did the normal 2 years as a walkon before getting a scholly, then I don't think that applies.  But, I dang sure ain't an expert on NCAA recruiting rules.  Just going by memory on what I've read you guys post in the past.  I may be totally wrong though.

13 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @ellitor is assuming he would get a scholly ASAP.  IF, he did the normal 2 years as a walkon before getting a scholly, then I don't think that applies.  But, I dang sure ain't an expert on NCAA recruiting rules.  Just going by memory on what I've read you guys post in the past.  I may be totally wrong though.

If he's not on scholarship, how can he count against a 25 scholarship limit? Or 85 either, for that matter. I'd have to see a new NCAA rule stating "Non-scholarship players that participate in a game count against the annual 25 limit" or something similar. I've never seen anything like that before this thread.

PS: The reason this came up is because it was stated that Mullen couldn't take him, even as a walkon, because Florida was at their 25 limit. I think Mullen could take him as a walkon if he wanted him, but apparently Mullen isn't interested.

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @ellitor is assuming he would get a scholly ASAP. 

That is the offer he has on the table.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

If he's not on scholarship, how can he count against a 25 scholarship limit?

He wouldn't.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've never seen anything like that before this thread. 

Yes you have. You liked the post. I had it in the Signee & Initial Counter Rules thread on the recruiting forum. However I read the rules on that incorrectly so I am deleting that part now.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The reason this came up is because it was stated that Mullen couldn't take him, even as a walkon, because Florida was at their 25 limit. I think Mullen could take him as a walkon

I said he couldn't take him as a walk on if he planned to play him before he was there 2 years & I was wrong. My apologies to @oracle79 and all I confused.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes you have. You liked the post. I had it in the Signee & Initial Counter Rules thread on the recruiting forum. However I read the rules on that incorrectly so I am deleting that part now.

I liked the post to show appreciation for the work you put into it. That did not imply that I thought everything in there was the God's truth.

JMO to start this off.

I do not get why so many people including some of our best posters think Cord wins the starting job in 2019.

My thoughts:

Cord - He will not have played QB at any level in 6 years. How can he not be very rusty. He should have great maturity though. He was an accurate thrower in HS.

Bo - will have at least as much experience as Cord when he arrives at AU. He has been playing QB with no years taken off. He is a higher ranked QB coming in, looks like he has better footwork and a stronger arm from a bunch of film I have watched, and has been groomed for this job all his life. He is also an accurate passer.

The only thing I would give Cord is age right now.  OK, everyone, start slamming me. Thanks

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

JMO to start this off.

I do not get why so many people including some of our best posters think Cord wins the starting job in 2019.

My thoughts:

Cord - He will not have played QB at any level in 6 years. How can he not be very rusty. He should have great maturity though. He was an accurate thrower in HS.

Bo - will have at least as much experience as Cord when he arrives at AU. He has been playing QB with no years taken off. He is a higher ranked QB coming in, looks like he has better footwork and a stronger arm from a bunch of film I have watched, and has been groomed for this job all his life. He is also an accurate passer.

The only thing I would give Cord is age right now.  OK, everyone, start slamming me. Thanks

?

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

JMO to start this off.

My thoughts:

It will be one of the two. Could very well be Bo. 

30 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Cord - He will not have played QB at any level in 6 years. How can he not be very rusty.

He has a year & 4 games as a redshirt to shake off some rust. He's enrolling at his school of choice in 10 days or so. Rust shouldn't be much of a factor being in our program for a year.

He is a higher ranked QB coming in

And that matters a whole lot no doubt.

trre.gif

The only thing I would give Cord is age right now. 

With that age you are missing something though. If they are close in the Fall of 2019 which do you think the staff would prefer to start, at least to begin the season? A 24-25 year old RS Freshman who has been in the AU system a year at college speed & what not with 6 years or so more life experience or having all the pressure placed on a true freshman. If it's close in 2019 Fall camp it's a no brainer....This is Gus though so nothing is a no brainer with him.

I agree w/ WDE. It will be 1 of the 2.

If Stidham and Willis stay healthy, whether Cord comes or not will be irrelevant. That said, we are two high ankle sprains away from JG starting, with A walk-on as the backup. If we have the scholarship, bring Cord in and make him another option. WDE!

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

If Stidham and Willis stay healthy, whether Cord comes or not will be irrelevant.

How so? We are talking 2019. Jarrett will be gone & Willis has to develop as a QB.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

we are two high ankle sprains away from JG starting, with A walk-on as the backup.

Oh. If you mean this year then it would be Joey or Cord (if he chooses AU) after Jarrett & Malik. Cord will be on scholly, not a walk on. We have a scholly open.

Archived