Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

42 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I don’t think Purdue and their 3/4 million coach should ever lose to Eastern Michigan just like some feel Auburn and it’s 49 million dollar coach should not lose to Miss St. There are no guarantees he can do more with Auburn’s talent vs the other quality coaches and talent in this conference.  I would like to see him prove it a little bit more before us getting giddy over a lightning in a bottle game over tOSU. Go after the proven guys who have done it consistently, before talking with the Jeff Brohm’s 

Educate yourself.

Purdue W-L

2013: 1-11

2014: 3-9

2015: 2-10

2016: 3-9

2017: 7-6. W 38-35 over Arizona in the Fosters Farm Bowl.

2018:  Lost 1st 3 games, Won last 4, including embarrassing tOSU.

Q:  What year did Jeff Brohm take over as head coach of Purdue? 

Q: How many years did it take Jeff Brohm to match Gus Malzahn's bowl game win record?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Educate yourself.

Purdue W-L

2013: 1-11

2014: 3-9

2015: 2-10

2016: 3-9

2017: 7-6. W 38-35 over Arizona in the Fosters Farm Bowl.

2018:  Lost 1st 3 games, Won last 4, including embarrassing tOSU.

Q:  What year did Jeff Brohm take over as head coach of Purdue? 

Q: How many years did it take Jeff Brohm to match Gus Malzahn's bowl game win record?

Not sure if it’s right but it says 2017 was his first year there...?

his bowl record @ Purdue or his career?

IMO he still has a lot to prove, plus this season is not over yet. He got tOSU in a perfect storm game, @ home Sat nite, crowd pumping, and tOSU doing what they do every year losing to someone they are not supposed to on the road at night. Anyway IMO there are more proven coaches I’d pursue and want before giving the keys to Brohm particulate  his small body of work in a Power 5 conference.

32 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Not sure if it’s right but it says 2017 was his first year there...?

his bowl record @ Purdue or his career?

IMO he still has a lot to prove, plus this season is not over yet. He got tOSU in a perfect storm game, @ home Sat nite, crowd pumping, and tOSU doing what they do every year losing to someone they are not supposed to on the road at night. Anyway IMO there are more proven coaches I’d pursue and want before giving the keys to Brohm particulate  his small body of work in a Power 5 conference.

A:  Yes.  He turned Purdue around in one season.

A:  One, of course.  As Gus has won only one bowl game as HC.  

Four of Brohm's teams have been in bowls.  He was HC for 3 - skipped one bowl game, having accepted the Purdue HC job.  His teams won all 4.

Brohm has a better coaching pedigree than Gus (Schellenberger, Petrino).  Is a recognized QB coach, as is his brother.  Coached at UAB for a while as OC and QB coach. 

Was asked to be OC at UAt by Saban (turned Saban down). 

Dunno if he's the real deal, though... LOL.

51 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Reportedly some tension between Meyer & Ohio State. Hopefully Ohio State agrees to part ways with Meyer and go after Bob Stoops. If that’s the case, I would take Meyer in a heart beat!

I agree with this article on why Stoops would not be interested in Ohio State and it contribution to him retiring.

https://newsok.com/article/5604453/why-ohio-state-wouldnt-want-bob-stoops-and-stoops-wouldnt-want-ohio-state

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Does anyone think  Gus Malzhan could ever have a team of Purdue's caliber beat tOSU? Honest question 

I think in a perfect situation any coach could beat another coach if things played out perfectly on a given night.   

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I think in a perfect situation any coach could beat another coach if things played out perfectly on a given night.   

So, no? 

See Purdue dominated tOSU from start to finish. 

This wasn't a game where 4 FGs were missed or you needed a prayer hail mary pass. Purdue beat them down for four quarters and never let up. They scored in the red zone I believe almost every time they got near. So please stop with the BS.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for you aubaseball; if Gus coached baseball, with his physiology of player management and usage, how would long into the season would his pitching staff last?

Here is another thing that is going to show our fans are biased AF to a coach. Almost loyal to the point of Jim Jones Cultish. 

Purdue as a team and a culture in the last 5 years has lost to a team from non power 5 school the last 4 out of 5 years. Is that appropriate? No. No power 5 school should be doing that, but that is where Purdue is at as a program. 

Now this is guy is at year two of a program which he inherited that in the previous four years was 9-39. He doesn't have the luxury to just grab the best Jucos in the nation to fit what he wants to do. He is still coaching recruits who have been in a culture of supreme losing. The argument has been made that in year 2 of his tenure there it is inappropriate for purdue to lose to East Michigan just like it is inappropriate for CGM in year 6 to lose to Tennessee or Mississippi State. Just think about that for a second and rationalize is this anywhere equivalent to the same thing? I mean come on let the guy get his players in at the very least before you make that argument. 

And I am not saying Jeff Brohm or Bill Clark is the answer to Auburn. I am not saying they will be successful at Auburn. I am not saying we should go hire those two guys.  I am saying that they have shown they can develop and build something out of nothing. Two things that Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn have never been asked to do. They have had the luxury of being in a program, who gets good recruits, great support from the fanbase and the resources to go after anyone in the nation. So, in my eyes, if we can't get someone with tons of successful  power 5 experience, I look for someone who can build and develop.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for you aubaseball; if Gus coached baseball, with his physiology of player management and usage, how would long into the season would his pitching staff last?

It would probably last just like how all baseball coaches currently coach.   You pitch your weekend starters until they show signs of fatigue or are injured.   

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It would probably last just like how all baseball coaches currently coach.   You pitch your weekend starters until they show signs of fatigue or are injured.   

I don’t think Gus would know when his starter showed signs of fatigue.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

And I am not saying Jeff Brohm or Bill Clark is the answer to Auburn. I am not saying they will be successful at Auburn. I am not saying we should go hire those two guys.  I am saying that they have shown they can develop and build something out of nothing. Two things that Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn have never been asked to do. They have had the luxury of being in a program, who gets good recruits, great support from the fanbase and the resources to go after anyone in the nation. So, in my eyes, if we can't get someone with tons of successful  power 5 experience, I look for someone who can build and develop.

Like the comments. I would add: and recruit. Even tho I rather see low rank player development than wasting talent like we seem to be doing.

But, in our situation, we have to recruit well AND build and develop.

9 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Like the comments. I would add: and recruit. Even tho I rather see low rank player development than wasting talent like we seem to be doing.

But, in our situation, we have to recruit well AND build and develop.

I absolutely agree with that. I think Brohm has shown he can do that too if we look at where Purdue currently ranks. Of course, it is a long season ahead both for the tiger and Boilermakers. But yeah, you are right. We don't need someone like Tubs who was an awesome developer but a piss poor recruiter. We have seen that can only take you so far in the SEC

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

I absolutely agree with that. I think Brohm has shown he can do that too if we look at where Purdue currently ranks. Of course, it is a long season ahead both for the tiger and Boilermakers. But yeah, you are right. We don't need someone like Tubs who was an awesome developer but a piss poor recruiter. We have seen that can only take you so far in the SEC

Brohm recruiting @ Purdue per 247Sports: https://247sports.com/college/purdue/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

2016:  National Rank:  80

2017:  National Rank:  72

2018:  National Rank:  51

2019:  National Rank:  25

His first year he concentrated on O linemen, D lineman and receivers. 

Kinda funny to see mostly 2s and some 3 stars his first year turn to lots of 4s now.  Not a great indicator of how they'll pan out, but shows he can get what he wants to build a team.

May be too late on Brohm anyway.  Louisville trying to lock him down and fire Petrino.

See thread in Rivals section...

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

May be too late on Brohm anyway.  Louisville trying to lock him down and fire Petrino.

See thread in Rivals section...

Yeah, saw that.  He may not accept, though.  

Anyway, we're not actually in the market for a new coach.  There's a rumor Gus is tweaking things...

Just now, AURealist said:

Yeah, saw that.  He may not accept, though.  

Anyway, we're not actually in the market for a new coach.  There's a rumor Gus is tweaking things...

Like getting rid of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Like getting rid of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball? 

That's a bit more than a tweak.  I'm thinking more like going under center for short yardage plays or a pass to a tight end or something...

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I look for someone who can build and develop.

...and if one isn't available, I look for assistants that have been instrumental in program building, regime transition, or high level program maintenance.  Shane Beamer, Mel Tucker, Dave Aranda, Jeff Scott, Luke Fickell(yes I know he is the HC at Cincy), Ryan Day, Kendall Briles

Archived