Early Voting Trends

Brad_ATX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Some data coming out.  Varies by state, but looks like voting numbers are way up from the 2014 midterms.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/early-voting-thursday-morning/index.html

Yep....locally it's way ahead of even the presidential election thus far.....and there are not even any serious races being contested.....

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Perhaps that will be at least one positive contribution Trump will make to the country - demonstrate the importance of voting.  ;D

I agree, a lot of people are fed up with the dems/leftist reaction to the Trump election and everything he has accomplished. Real time life has been pretty good lately.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I agree, a lot of people are fed up with the dems/leftist reaction to the Trump election and everything he has accomplished. Real time life has been pretty good lately.

@NolaAuTiger and @Texan4Auburn  Why are you guys laughing like I am not serious? People are sick of the nonsense. The Kavanaugh deal caught a lot of attention. That did not work so now we are back to immigration. 

I live in the ground zero hurricane Micheal area and the early voting response is unbelievable as will be the Tuesday response. Ground zero is solid conservative. Everyone I come in contact with has the time and place to vote. Amazing

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

@NolaAuTiger and @Texan4Auburn  Why are you guys laughing like I am not serious? People are sick of the nonsense. The Kavanaugh deal caught a lot of attention. That did not work so now we are back to immigration. 

I live in the ground zero hurricane Micheal area and the early voting response is unbelievable as will be the Tuesday response. Ground zero is solid conservative. Everyone I come in contact with has the time and place to vote. Amazing

You answered yourself right here.  Know you're busy with recovery efforts, but when things get better, engage with areas that aren't solidly conservative and see how things are viewed.  I'd imagine you will get a very different response.

The key to notice so far is that in many areas, the younger vote is way up.  Typcially that's bad news for conservatives.  Still a lot to play out until Tuesday, but early trends are interesting.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You answered yourself right here.  Know you're busy with recovery efforts, but when things get better, engage with areas that aren't solidly conservative and see how things are viewed.  I'd imagine you will get a very different response.

The key to notice so far is that in many areas, the younger vote is way up.  Typcially that's bad news for conservatives.  Still a lot to play out until Tuesday, but early trends are interesting.

Just saying I am witnessing a resilient group. "Typically", nothing to do other than see how Tuesday plays out.

Can the dems give the youngsters what they want?

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Given the line of quotes and who was quoting who, I thought it was a burn chain to be honest. You guys pop shot each other all time. I apologize if I misread.

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Given the line of quotes and who was quoting who, I thought it was a burn chain to be honest. You guys pop shot each other all time. I apologize if I misread.

I understand. No need to apologize Texan

22 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Maybe.  They seem to be running on issues that are of interest to younger voters.  Doubt they can accomplish anything though until at least 2020.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

No, but they will say they can to get votes. I hope the young uns are thinking things through.

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, but they will say they can to get votes. I hope the young uns are thinking things through.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/early-voting-thursday-morning/index.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/414098-young-and-new-voters-surge-in-early-voting

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/414098-young-and-new-voters-surge-in-early-voting

More than 50 percent supported a federal jobs guarantee, single-payer health care, and free tuition at public universities, policies championed by the likes of the Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

8 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

More than 50 percent supported a federal jobs guarantee, single-payer health care, and free tuition at public universities, policies championed by the likes of the Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

I guess they aren't yet mature enough to figure out that someone will have to pay for those things.  That's a sad commentary on our parenting and educational system.

Heavy turnout is a great thing 100% of the time. The more voting and educated the better off the nation will be. 

After the 2016 Polling Misfires, I dont claim to have a crystal ball knowledge of what all that means.

10 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Heavy turnout is a great thing 100% of the time. The more voting and educated the better off the nation will be. 

After the 2016 Polling Misfires, I dont claim to have a crystal ball knowledge of what all that means.

Good theory but seems that as turnout increases percentage wise, the less educated the voting mass.   Just load 'em up on busses and take them to polling places and give each a pre-marked sample ballot to help guide them.  

In many areas there is not much education "going on" about the issues....and when supposedly educated younger voters think the government has the capability to give them free everything, then the education system has hit rock bottom. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess they aren't yet mature enough to figure out that someone will have to pay for those things.  That's a sad commentary on our parenting and educational system.

Just like someone will have to pay for that stupid ******* wall Trump wants to build. And someone has to pay for all those tax cuts he insists on giving out. And someone has to pay for the wars the Republicans started in the middle east. And someone has to pay for Trump to fly back and forth from his vacation spots, every weekend. I guess you guys are fine with paying for things that benefit rich white men though. It's the idea of paying for things that actually helps regular people that you get upset about. God forbid we pay taxes that go towards things that improve the education and health of people.

I don't mind paying taxes for things that help regular people.  What I do mind paying taxes on are handouts that people expect and think they are entitled to.  

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Just like someone will have to pay for that stupid ******* wall Trump wants to build. And someone has to pay for all those tax cuts he insists on giving out. And someone has to pay for the wars the Republicans started in the middle east. And someone has to pay for Trump to fly back and forth from his vacation spots, every weekend. I guess you guys are fine with paying for things that benefit rich white men though. It's the idea of paying for things that actually helps regular people that you get upset about. God forbid we pay taxes that go towards things that improve the education and health of people.

I am very jealous that ICHY gives you non-facepalm reactions. Can you describe the feeling? 

Early voting in Texas is up both in tradition Democratic areas and in traditional Republican areas. 

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

As I remember Obama and Hillary did the same thing in Libya which along with what Bush did in Iraq helped create ISIS and other terrorist groups. Both Democratic and Republican administrations have erred in the Middle East. What was surprising to me after all the talk by Obama and Hillary as to how stupid it was to go into Iraq they repeated the same thing in Libya that they said was wrong in the first place. Then they lied about what happened in Libya. 

In the Middle East both parties have blame. As for immigration at times both parties have been in control of both the House, the Senate and the Presidency and did nothing to fix the quagmire that is our immigration system. Both parties use immigration as an issue to draw out their base. I don't think either side really wants to address immigration as both have had the opportunity but not the will.

I agree with you on the TAX cuts to a point. I like the TAX cuts and I think that they have helped with the resurgence of our economy but you can't do TAX cuts unless they are deficit neutral at worst. You have to cut spending if you are going to cut taxes.  Same thing for the free Education, free Healthcare, etc. They are not free. To do those things you either cut spending some where else or you increase the amount of money coming in to pay for the programs. As the old saying goes nothing is free,

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The federal tax income has actually still climbed even after the tax breaks that you lament.

Federal tax income:

2018 3.34 trillion

2017 3.32 trillion

2016 3.27 trillion

The problem is spending.

Example: In 2016 alone, Obama Care cost the federal government (Taxpayers) 110 billion

Medicaid 368 billion

Medicare 588 billion

That's just health care.....

47% of the U.S. population now receives some form of government supplement. How long do you think that can go on?

55 minutes ago, WDavE said:

The federal tax income has actually still climbed even after the tax breaks that you lament.

Federal tax income:

2018 3.34 trillion

2017 3.32 trillion

2016 3.27 trillion

The problem is spending.

Example: In 2016 alone, Obama Care cost the federal government (Taxpayers) 110 billion

Medicaid 368 billion

Medicare 588 billion

That's just health care.....

47% of the U.S. population now receives some form of government supplement. How long do you think that can go on?

Oh I agree that people having to rely on government help is a problem. I'm also aware that, normal people with normal jobs have a hard time getting by on the wages they are paid. A large number of adults in this country are working in retail, restaurants, admin, etc. They aren't getting paid very well and it's getting increasingly expensive to live. Back in the 50's a man could graduate high school, go work in a factory and buy a house and have a family and savings by 30. That's harder to do now. I think we can all agree on that. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Oh I agree that people having to rely on government help is a problem. I'm also aware that, normal people with normal jobs have a hard time getting by on the wages they are paid. A large number of adults in this country are working in retail, restaurants, admin, etc. They aren't getting paid very well and it's getting increasingly expensive to live. Back in the 50's a man could graduate high school, go work in a factory and buy a house and have a family and savings by 30. That's harder to do now. I think we can all agree on that. 

Yep...times have really changed as have expectations.  

Back in the 50s or so, the typical house might have 1000  SF or less, basic heat, no AC and your favorite car (one per family) had stick shift and no radio or AC. …...speaking from personal experience as a kid.      Now, people expect more luxuries in their lives right from the start which is made easier with the ever present credit card.      Many of today's young people had it all when they were living at home and are not very willing to dial back the life-style they had in their parent's home.   For example,   I'm stunned how much some young people and families pay for their cell phone bills alone and I don't know how the labor market can keep up in a competitive world.   

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm stunned how much some young people and families pay for their cell phone bills alone

64, tread softly. Cell phones are next as basic right for all individuals. You are just an old geezer

11 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You could have said you hate Trump in three words Civ.

Archived