Brown Liquor Time

fredst

3 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’m somewhat curious about what y’all’s go to bourbon/whiskey is. I normally drink Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare if I don’t find something different that really interest me. If I’m going cheap, I go with Wild Turkey 🦃 101. Eagle Rare is very nice for a relatively good price. 

I mix it up a little, but Weller Special Reserve when I find it, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Old Granddad Bottled in Bond, Four Roses, Old Forester 100 proof, McKenna 10 when I can find it... and I might've just added 1792 to the rotation. I like that one just fine. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, McLoofus said:

I mix it up a little, but Weller Special Reserve when I find it, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Old Granddad Bottled in Bond, Four Roses, Old Forester 100 proof, McKenna 10 when I can find it... and I might've just added 1792 to the rotation. I like that one just fine. 

I’m on board with any of these choices. Weller, Buffalo Trace, and McKenna 10 all very solid whiskeys that are affordable enough to drink frequently and delicious enough to drink neat. And, I think Turkey 101 is a pretty solid whiskey for the money

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I’m on board with any of these choices. Weller, Buffalo Trace, and McKenna 10 all very solid whiskeys that are affordable enough to drink frequently and delicious enough to drink neat. And, I think Turkey 101 is a pretty solid whiskey for the money

I haven't had Turkey in eons. Really need to revisit.

Have you had the McConaughey one? Has anyone? 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I haven't had Turkey in eons. Really need to revisit.

Have you had the McConaughey one? Has anyone? 

Longbranch. Almost bought it the other day just for S&Gs but didn’t pull the trigger. Have not tasted but the reviews I’ve read make I think sound like it’s worth a flyer.

Edited by fredst
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:06 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

QhGuk0w.jpg

That Jefferson’s is one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had. 

Never had a Jefferson variety I didn’t like. The 18-year old is one damn fine whiskey. The Ocean varieties are good and I love the Groth cask. What’s the price on the rum finish? I predict ~$115 here in AL....

On 1/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, fredst said:

Never had a Jefferson variety I didn’t like. The 18-year old is one damn fine whiskey. The Ocean varieties are good and I love the Groth cask. What’s the price on the rum finish? I predict ~$115 here in AL....

A few of my coworkers and owner went on our annual bourbon trail trip and brought all those pictured above back with them. So I don’t even know if it’s in distribution. It was signed by the master distiller. 

FYI Eagle Rare single barrel store selects should be coming back this year. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a bunch of stuff this week.

Tasted(again) Codigo Origen tequila. 6 year extra anejo. Phenomenal. $250 price tag, but I’d say worth every penny if you’re a tequila fan. Definitely a scotch drinker’s tequila. 

Padre Azul tequila, good. Not sure if I like the prices $70-90 for blanco, repo, and anejo respectively. Blanco and anejo were my favorites.

Also tried Chicken Cock(ugh-I hate the name) bourbon. Out of South Carolina. The straight tastes like 95% corn. The rye was decent. And the 10 year was okay...if you feel like spending $200 more than it’s worth. 

We also got to try Slane Irish Whiskey. Very solid and cheaper than Jameson. Definitely pick that one up if you see it if you’re an Irish fan. Better than the loser juice(as I like to call it)-Proper 12(Conor McGregor’s).

Pendleton Canadian Whiskey. Straight is better than Crown(bar isn’t set very high on that one), rye is okay, Midnight was fantastic, and their aged 10 year(?) was excellent at $130ish. 

And closing out, we tasted barrel samples of Woodford Double Oaked. Solid samples, but I think our barrel from last year was better than the samples we got. 

Bleh...we drank all that in two days. I’m good on brown booze for a minute. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We also got to try Slane Irish Whiskey. Very solid and cheaper than Jameson. Definitely pick that one up if you see it if you’re an Irish fan.

On it.

-The cheap guy

• 2 weeks later...

I’m enjoying some Clyde May’s on an absolutely beautiful Tennessee Valley afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Broke down and bought and drank the Longbranch this weekend (yes, I probably fell for the advertising during the bball tourney😔). I like it, reminds me a little bit of the McKenna 10, plus I felt as cool as Matthew McConauhey while I was drinking it. I think its a worthwhile pour (I think I paid ~$40)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Broke down and bought and drank the Longbranch this weekend (yes, I probably fell for the advertising during the bball tourney😔). I like it, reminds me a little bit of the McKenna 10, plus I felt as cool as Matthew McConauhey while I was drinking it. I think its a worthwhile pour (I think I paid ~$40)

I'd pay a lot more than $40 to feel as cool as Wooderson! Sold.

@ShocksMyBrain, I've a bone to pick with you. Too. Much. Slaine. Saturday night led to a bone dry St. Paddy's for me yesterday. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'd pay a lot more than $40 to feel as cool as Wooderson! Sold.

@ShocksMyBrain, I've a bone to pick with you. Too. Much. Slaine. Saturday night led to a bone dry St. Paddy's for me yesterday. 

I don’t know what the deal was this weekend re: Irish booze. We hardly sold any despite basically having 3 days to celebrate. 

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t know what the deal was this weekend re: Irish booze. We hardly sold any despite basically having 3 days to celebrate. 

Maybe it speaks well of your client base, lol. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting into some mezcal. This is an entry level one I found today. Rather enjoying it but I am picturing what premium mezcal might taste like and I suspect I'll be splurging soon...

IMG_20190405_213311.jpg

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Finally getting into some mezcal. This is an entry level one I found today. Rather enjoying it but I am picturing what premium mezcal might taste like and I suspect I'll be splurging soon...

IMG_20190405_213311.jpg

Mix it with some margarita mix, a little agave nectar, and a slice or two of fresh jalapeño. 

• Like 1

Dammit. Just looked back and saw Shocks reference to Jefferson’s reserve. Now I gotta go back to the shop...

Picked up a new bottle today. Damn is it good!

Also, anybody know anything about the Black Saddle?

86A8FDC1-3F4D-4932-BE67-BDFDE97BCE38.jpeg

8C83F4C1-A8D4-487E-8F6F-A947DA0775DA.jpeg