Kendall Simmons joining staff

GwillMac6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

Former Auburn offensive lineman Kendall Simmons is returning to the Plains in an off-the-field job.

Auburn did not confirm what position he will assume in a story posted on the Tigers’ official website. A spokesperson was unaware of Simmons’ duties.

Simmons was a two-time All-SEC player and a two-time Super Bowl champion. He played at Auburn from 1997 through 2001 and played seven seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, who selected him in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Auburn made mention of the Tigers returning all five starters along the offensive line next season, adding he will be a “part of the staff,” Simmons said.

"Coach Malzahn has always been good to me over the years," Simmons said. "I really appreciate the opportunity he's given me to come in and be a part of the staff. I'm going to do the best I can. I'm going to work hard and try to learn as much as I can from Coach Malzahn, Coach Grimes and whoever else I have an opportunity to come in contact with, so I'm excited about it."

Simmons started in 36 games for the Tigers during his playing career.

Just now, JFDTiger80 said:

What exactly does off the field mean. I guess he is not at practices? 

To me it means He is taking over for JB as soon as he is ready to be a on the field coach.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

What exactly does off the field mean. I guess he is not at practices? 

Hopefully they do what Alabama does for off-field coaches and let them be on the field (Butch Jones I’m looking at you).

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Hopefully they do what Alabama does for off-field coaches and let them be on the field (Butch Jones I’m looking at you).

What Butch and other "off field coaches" do at UAT is not within the rules for other schools. 

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Looks like he's basically learning the ropes, and then once Grimes says he's done then Simmons will slide in

If that is the case, I hope he picks up the recruiting part of it real quick.

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

If that is the case, I hope he picks up the recruiting part of it real quick.

I'm sure he will. He was recruited once upon a time. I think he'll figure out what and what not to say to get the recruits to come

I read online that Off the field coaches can't really get involved with the players. They are mainly involved in coaching meetings. (This came from something I just read online) and the they were talking with Saban about all his off the field coaches. 

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

In T-town an off field position means on the sideline. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

To me it means He is taking over for JB as soon as he is ready to be a on the field coach.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Exactly.

To both of you.

54 minutes ago, gr82be said:

In T-town an off field position means on the sideline. 

In T-town, paying the players and loading them with steroids means "the process" and is perfectly okay.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

In T-town, paying the players and loading them with steroids means "the process" and is perfectly okay.

72, you are better than that. That's straight up LBS.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

72, you are better than that. That's straight up LBS.

You should know by now I'm a full fledged member of the tin-foil hat brigade.

I don't begrudge y'all who believe Saban is a football god in this day of parity and has worked a miracle worthy of Biblical proportion etc, but I personally don't buy it.  And I'm not ashamed to admit it.  But as for LBS, I got bigger things in my life to worry about than bammer cheating and getting a free pass from Emmert & Shaw but it is still my opinion and I stick to it.

Beyond that, I don't worry about them.  I just don't watch them or pay much attention to them.  I worry about Auburn and want them to at least get to Clemson or tOSU type status.  To me that's more realistic and more honestly obtained (not saying squeaky clean) than whatever the devil's workshop is doing in T-town.

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't begrudge y'all who believe Saban is a football god in this day of parity and has worked a miracle worthy of Biblical proportion etc, but I personally don't buy it.  And I'm not ashamed to admit it.  But as for LBS, I got bigger things in my life to worry about than bammer cheating and getting a free pass from Emmert & Shaw but it is still my opinion and I stick to it.

Beyond that, I don't worry about them.  I just don't watch them or pay much attention to them.  I worry about Auburn and want them to at least get to Clemson or tOSU type status.  To me that's more realistic and more honestly obtained (not saying squeaky clean) than whatever the devil's workshop is doing in T-town.

UGHHHHHHHHH What in tarnation is going on here?!??! I have never seen this version and side of you my guy!!!!!!!!!!! lol 

gfer.gif

This is what I think a lot of people have wanted us to do once they expanded the coaches allowed....hire good potential prospects and develop them instead of hiring nobodies for no reason. I still dont know if Al Borges did a single positive thing here

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This is what I think a lot of people have wanted us to do once they expanded the coaches allowed....hire good potential prospects and develop them instead of hiring nobodies for no reason. I still dont know if Al Borges did a single positive thing here

If you don't know, why assume or imply the worst? 

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't think Saban is some god. And at the start of his reign, I'm sure he did cheat and bend the rules as much as he could, but he doesn't have to do that anymore. The results speak for itself. Any high school kid who plays football knows if they go to Bama and excel, they will play for championships and they will be drafted highly. I absolutely hate them, but facts are facts. 

Kendall Simmons is a good man who could flat out play! He’s smart and might just turn out to be a very good coach. He’s also relatable which could help us in recruiting. 

Archived