Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

7 hours ago, aubcali said:

On many occasions, while  living in California, the people I came across were impressed with Auburn.  They thought Auburn was in GA and when I corrected them — they would have a puzzled look on their face.  They would inevitably respond with something like “But Auburn is a great university,  how can it be in Alabama?”

It got to the point that I wouldn’t correct them.  If they said Georgia, I would say close enough.

I understand thinking Auburn University is too nice for Alabama, I dont get that premise for the rest of the "city". Its not in my personal top 5 from the state 

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Anyone who thinks Auburn isn’t nice hasn’t ever been there!

I LIVE here lol.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand thinking Auburn University is too nice for Alabama, I dont get that premise for the rest of the "city". Its not in my personal top 5 from the state 

I LIVE here lol.

Brother man you lost all credibility when you said Huntsville is nicer than Auburn. Only if you like meth, ancient infrastructure, and a bad school system. 

38 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Brother man you lost all credibility when you said Huntsville is nicer than Auburn. Only if you like meth, ancient infrastructure, and a bad school system. 

Are you one of the people who can find a town/city nice when there's hardly anything to do? I think "quaint" is a better way to describe such a status 

Think maybe the issue is the large number of Georgia athletes who participate for AU sports.   I've been asked "where is Auburn".....and then..Oh , I thought it was in Georgia. ....and from people who should have known better.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I LIVE here lol.

I lived there too for 5 y’!

40 minutes ago, toddc said:

I lived there too for 5 y’!

:)   me too....but that was a along time ago....when it was not so attractive. 

On 1/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, AUght2win said:

He is totally unproven as a coach. Also, dumb moves work out for people all the time. It was dumb for Les Miles to throw a fade as time expired against us in 05 when it jeopardized a GW field goal try. It was dumb for Nick Marshall to throw into triple coverage on the prayer at Jordan Hare instead of to a wide open Sammie Coates on a dig route. 

Just because it's your OPINION that something is a dumb move does not automatically make it so. You have no idea why things are done the way they are. Other people have a different perspective on things and make decisions that are based on reasons you may know nothing about. 

Caddy knows more about football, and the RB position at an elite level than 98% of the people on this forum. I'll go with him for now. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I used to live in the Huntsville area (Madison) and it is a miserable, boring, horrible place to live. However....Madison City Schools are excellent.  Huntsville City schools....not so much. I'd pick the Auburn/Opelika area a million times over Huntsville/Madison....and I've lived in both places.

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I used to live in the Huntsville area (Madison) and it is a miserable, boring, horrible place to live. However....Madison City Schools are excellent.  Huntsville City schools....not so much. I'd pick the Auburn/Opelika area a million times over Huntsville/Madison....and I've lived in both places.

I live in Athens and only go to Huntsville when I want a decent restaurant. Great sushi place called Edo Japanese Restaurant and Ole Heidelberg Restaraunt when I need chicken schnitzel cordon blue!

18 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Just because it's your OPINION that something is a dumb move does not automatically make it so. You have no idea why things are done the way they are. Other people have a different perspective on things and make decisions that are based on reasons you may know nothing about. 

Caddy knows more about football, and the RB position at an elite level than 98% of the people on this forum. I'll go with him for now. 

Yeah I’m pretty sure Cadillac has Recruited and coached many more RBs into the NFL than Horton had. 😂

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Not much industry in Auburn so I’ll have to stay up here. 

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand thinking Auburn University is too nice for Alabama, I dont get that premise for the rest of the "city". 

Have you been to Auburn? There is no "rest of the city". Auburn itself is microscopic so the University takes up the entirety of the town! 😂 

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Okay, Belle. Just riddle me why every major program doesn't just grab an ex-NFL runningback, with no coaching experience, to coach their backfield? Why didn't other schools go after Cadillac? Why couldn't he find a better gig than an analyst at D2 west georgia or a high school job? He is an unknown as a coach. It's a risk. How can you argue that?

The excuse that Gus "makes decisions based on reasons you don't know about" doesn't mean those decisions are smart. Watch Chandler Cox run the veer against Clemson after 7 months of gameplanning and tell me that Gus always knows best.

11 minutes ago, Gay T. Jate said:

I am super excited that the GOBN hired Caddy.  I hope he signed a multi-year contract and will be well compensated for his time and whatever IMG 'croots he can bring with him.  It's possible that the GOBN will just keep him around after December and force him on the next coach or give him a spot in the AD.  As long as Gus isn't making the hires we should all feel better about them, imo.

New number who dis?

I hope Cadillac goes crazy on the recruiting field and gets commits from 4 and 5* RB's. BTW, where will be Cadillac's main recruiting area?

On 1/25/2019 at 7:49 PM, Tigerbelle said:

I live in Huntsville. What makes it a miserable, boring, horrible place to live?

10 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I live in Huntsville. What makes it a miserable, boring, horrible place to live?

I live with in driving distance of H’ville and enjoy going there. I think it’s great. 

As to whether Auburn or Huntsville is a great place to live. It is about personal preference some people prefer a more laid back college town type atmosphere others prefer living in the suburbs with access to the things a medium sized city provides, others prefer the big city environment like Atlanta or New York.  I personally would prefer the Auburn type environment but I can understand the people who prefer living in Huntsville area or a larger city.

Now getting back to the Caddy hire as I have said before I can see why it could turn out to be good hire and I could see why it might not work. What I can't see is anybody acting like they know for sure which type of hire it is when he hasn't had a chance to do anything yet.  Let's see how he coaches RB's this spring and next year and see how he starts to develop relationships this year. If he brings in top talent next year in most cases it will be because of work Horton did or others on the staff who had developed the relationships unless he was the closer. It is the second year that you really rate a recruiter to see if the relationships bear fruit. 

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As to whether Auburn or Huntsville is a great place to live. It is about personal preference some people prefer a more laid back college town type atmosphere others prefer living in the suburbs with access to the things a medium sized city provides, others prefer the big city environment like Atlanta or New York.  I personally would prefer the Auburn type environment but I can understand the people who prefer living in Huntsville area or a larger city.

Now getting back to the Caddy hire as I have said before I can see why it could turn out to be good hire and I could see why it might not work. What I can't see is anybody acting like they know for sure which type of hire it is when he hasn't had a chance to do anything yet.  Let's see how he coaches RB's this spring and next year and see how he starts to develop relationships this year. If he brings in top talent next year in most cases it will be because of work Horton did or others on the staff who had developed the relationships unless he was the closer. It is the second year that you really rate a recruiter to see if the relationships bear fruit. 

Schools like Auburn should never be hiring someone withiut knowing how good they are. This is a $100M a year dept. 

It's one thing to hire an up and comer from a low d1 or d2 school who is pumping out great backs with average players, it's another to grab a HS coach regardless of name. Ability to do =/= ability to teach

Here is one thing to consider:  Every time Gus has hired someone we say the same thing:  "Bad hire."  "Desperation move."  "Who?"  "Couldn't get anyone better."  And after some time has passed we see it was a great move.  Think back to when Steele, T-Will, Burns, Brown, Woodson, and even Dilly were hired.  At the time many did not like the moves.  But in the long-run these all have paid dividends.  I even mentioned Dilly as he hasn't coached yet, but people with good information on the program like WDE say they like him, that says a lot.  Grimes is iffy, but I stand behind the notion to give him another year as you need more than a year for an OL to develop.  Expecting instant results was an unfair expectation.  Since 2014 Gus Malzahn has been slowly upgrading our coaching staff, so it is about time we trust in who he brings in.  

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Here is one thing to consider:  Every time Gus has hired someone we say the same thing:  "Bad hire."  "Desperation move."  "Who?"  "Couldn't get anyone better."  And after some time has passed we see it was a great move.  Think back to when Steele, T-Will, Burns, Brown, Woodson, and even Dilly were hired.  

I don't recall anybody being upset about TWill or Woodson. But those were Steele's hires anyway, IIRC. Pretty sure he and Garner built that staff. So yeah, hiring Steele and retaining Garner post-Muschamp were master strokes. I think just about all of us continue to give him a lot of credit for that. 

People who actually know the business were not upset about Brown. Like, literally the only complaint about him was that he's a goofy looking old white guy. And even that's just going off a profile pic. And, again, he was a Steele hire IIRC.

Larry Porter. GREAT hire. But our best offensive assistant is and has been coaching tight ends. Interesting that our most talented and 2nd-most experienced assistant on offense is coaching our least critical position. 

After that, it's not pretty. 

Burns did in fact suck pretty badly at his job when he got here, and while we have done a good job of recruiting WRs since, are you satisfied with the development, retention and production we're getting at that position? We were 66th in passing yards per game in 2018 with an NFL QB starting for a 2nd consecutive year. Over the last 3 years we have been the ~50th best passing team in the country. Which would be okay if our run game didn't actually drag our total offense ranking down from there. 

How long did Lindsey last and how successful was he? Was he any better than Lashlee? Hand? Grimes? How excited are you about our OL recruiting the last 4 years and in this current cycle? How do you feel about our overall RB production these last few years while Horton has been looking for greener pastures? 

Jury is obviously still 100% out on Dilly, but he's not going to be involved in play-calling. He'll probably get credit for Jay Jay Wilson, though, good or bad. 

It is miles from the truth to say that every hire Gus has made has been great, or has even improved our team at all. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't recall anybody being upset about TWill or Woodson. But those were Steele's hires anyway, IIRC. Pretty sure he and Garner built that staff. So yeah, hiring Steele and retaining Garner post-Muschamp were master strokes. I think just about all of us continue to give him a lot of credit for that.    Steele, people thought we downgraded.  People on here did not think T-Will had enough expeince to be a real-time coach.  Woodson, no one knew anything about, and thought it was a waste of the 13th coach rule.

People who actually know the business were not upset about Brown. Like, literally the only complaint about him was that he's a goofy looking old white guy. And even that's just going off a profile pic. And, again, he was a Steele hire IIRC.  Fair point.

Larry Porter. GREAT hire. But our best offensive assistant is and has been coaching tight ends. Interesting that our most talented and 2nd-most experienced assistant on offense is coaching our least critical position.  That is why I did not mention Porter in my list.  No one really complained about him.

After that, it's not pretty. 

Burns did in fact suck pretty badly at his job when he got here, and while we have done a good job of recruiting WRs since, are you satisfied with the development, retention and production we're getting at that position? We were 66th in passing yards per game in 2018 with an NFL QB starting for a 2nd consecutive year. Over the last 3 years we have been the ~50th best passing team in the country. Which would be okay if our run game didn't actually drag our total offense ranking down from there.  I am satisfied yes.  Burns has been outstanding in recruiting.  He has also found gems in the classes as well (Seth Williams).  His coaching is leaps and bounds over Dameyune Craig.  Under Burns, our receivers can actually catch the ball.  Ryan Davis blossomed under Burns, as did Seth Willaims.  In 2018, our NFL QB was injured all season, and had a bad O-Line until the end of the season so the constantly under/over-threw.  It is hard for a receiver to catch it when you aren't even close.  If you are going to look at 2018, look pre-injury Washington and Purdue, when Stidham was not injured.   

How long did Lindsey last and how successful was he? Was he any better than Lashlee? Hand? Grimes? How excited are you about our OL recruiting the last 4 years and in this current cycle? How do you feel about our overall RB production these last few years while Horton has been looking for greener pastures?  I would say Chip is an upgrade to Lashlee, yes.  I am confident Grimes can continue to coach up our guys.  As you know I am not a fan of Hand, I think he is the one who put us in this bind.  It will take time to get out of it so we can prove to recruits we can develop again.  And you also know I have been wanting Horton to step down for a while.  I have not been impressed that he has spent a good bit of time over the years looking for a HC job.

Just is obviously still 100% out on Dilly, but he's not going to be involved in play-calling. He'll probably get credit for Jay Jay Wilson, though, good or bad.  We will see what input he has on the playcalling.  If he can scout like Lashlee did in 2013-2014 I will satisfied.  If he can also help us exapnd out recruiting footprint I will also be happy.

It is miles from the truth to say that every hire Gus has made has been great, or has even improved our team at all.  I think that is overeggagerating to say miles.

Everyone has a different opinion on how CGM has managed this program for the past 6 yrs.  The "2018 December to Remember" rumors from the likes of Josh Moon/Jay Tate/Phillip Marshall/Marshmallow have faded like a fart in the wind.  Many say CGM is sitting on a scorching hot seat and will finally have to get Auburn over the proverbial hump this season or else he gets $#!t canned with an enormous chunk of $$ going with him.

At the end of the day, if Gus feels like the youth and inexperience at the SEC level coaches (Dilly/Caddy) are what his team needs to break in a new QB and develop this stable of backs, then I'm all for it!  WDE!

Archived