Low carb diets - experience? opinions?

I am diabetic and have a daily budget of 195 g of carbs.  I do fairly well in staying within budget.  I don’t know anything about a low carb diet, but 25 g of carbs in a four hour period could be pretty tough.  I start my day by eating a 6 pack of Lance’s Toast Chee crackers which is 25 g of carbs.  In a 16 hour day I can’t imagine limiting eating, for example, four packs of those crackers. 

IMO, crash diets are usually only a temporary fix.  Every single person I have known to go on a crash diet did lose a lot of weight, but gained it all back after getting off the crash diet.  

If your goal is to lose weight, make life style changes.  Eat better foods and give up foods that simply are not good enough to justify the calories.  

Good luck with whatever you are trying to do!

When I eliminate carbs it makes me feel horrible. I have hypoglycemic tendencies. When I don’t get any sugar I get weak, tremors and if I let it go for too long heart palpitations. 

I do try to limit them but I never count. 

When I eliminate carbs it makes me feel horrible. I have hypoglycemic tendencies. When I don’t get any sugar I get weak, tremors and if I let it go for too long heart palpitations. 

My wife had several coworkers doing that keto diet. Then she got me to try it. It was horrible on me. Not safe at all for someone with my condition. But I’ll also add, I’m not sick or disabled. I just can’t exert energy without eating. If I do it’s a bad day and usually all day. 

@homersapien are you trying to lose weight? Last year, I tried a modified "keto" diet - which was basically just low carbs for about a month. I think I was taking in less than 50 grams of carbs per day. I slowly tapered off of it, but was consciously avoiding high carb foods for a total of maybe 6-8 weeks. At the same time I started a high-intensity cardio workout during that time and I lost 15-20 pounds. 

Eliminated carbs in the mid 90's............Zapped all my energy liken to a flu shot.........was doing 2hrs a day 4 days a week of cardio...........Once body adjusted I had loads of energy.........had to actually trim cardio as I was shedding weight pretty quick..........was trying to build lean muscle.........Backed off the amount of weight I was pumping and increased to sets of 12 as opposed to 8...............if cutting carbs recommend slowly as all at once does a number on ya.

14 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I am diabetic and have a daily budget of 195 g of carbs.  I do fairly well in staying within budget.  I don’t know anything about a low carb diet, but 25 g of carbs in a four hour period could be pretty tough.  I start my day by eating a 6 pack of Lance’s Toast Chee crackers which is 25 g of carbs.  In a 16 hour day I can’t imagine limiting eating, for example, four packs of those crackers. 

IMO, crash diets are usually only a temporary fix.  Every single person I have known to go on a crash diet did lose a lot of weight, but gained it all back after getting off the crash diet.  

If your goal is to lose weight, make life style changes.  Eat better foods and give up foods that simply are not good enough to justify the calories.  

Good luck with whatever you are trying to do!

Type 1 or type 2?  Do you take insulin?

I am trying to reduce my a1c as the primary goal and weight loss is part of that.

I actually was successful reducing my a1c last year by cutting out rice, pasta and such.  But I wasn't really trying all that hard - especially concerning bread and beer - and it rebounded on my last test.

The 25 net carbs in a 4 hour period is what is recommended by my primary care physician (an osteopath).  My other choice was to start low dose insulin injections. The diet is pretty severe, but I have been able to adhere to it by carefully researching the carb contents of foods and studying nutritional statements on packaged foods - particularly the portion size.  Atkin's products have helped a lot, particularly on sweet cravings. (Their snack bars are awesome if a little expensive.)  Alas, the only beer I now consume is Michelob Ultra.

While Lance crackers are a non-starter, but I eat a pretty good breakfast consisting of one piece of "Dave's Killer Power Seed Bread" buttered toast (12g), a couple of eggs, some Conecuh sausage and half an avocado. It helps that eggs, meats and cheese are low carb.

Actually I have found this diet to be easier than I expected. I don't really have the sort of hunger pangs expected.  I have also lost about 15-18 lbs in the 5 weeks since I started. I am actually anticipating my next blood test scheduled in mid-May.  I'm also scheduled for a knee replacement in late May and my surgeon wants to see a lower A1C, so I have plenty of motivation.

Depending on results, I will ask about a "maintenance" diet that is a little less strict, but I am prepared to stick with whatever is necessary - a "life style change" as you put it.

Thanks for responding.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

My wife had several coworkers doing that keto diet. Then she got me to try it. It was horrible on me. Not safe at all for someone with my condition. But I’ll also add, I’m not sick or disabled. I just can’t exert energy without eating. If I do it’s a bad day and usually all day. 

I used to travel with a guy that.  While it was nothing for me to skip lunch (for example), at a certain time, he had to eat, period. 

Of course he was thin and a runner, whereas I was not. ;)

Type 2, no insulin, take blood sugar once a day (average in the 90’s).  I used to drink a fair amount of beer (a cold one is quite good, eh), but I gave it up.  Have not had an alcoholic drink in a couple of years.  Just not worth it. 

Do you not take your blood sugar every day?

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

@homersapien are you trying to lose weight? Last year, I tried a modified "keto" diet - which was basically just low carbs for about a month. I think I was taking in less than 50 grams of carbs per day. I slowly tapered off of it, but was consciously avoiding high carb foods for a total of maybe 6-8 weeks. At the same time I started a high-intensity cardio workout during that time and I lost 15-20 pounds. 

See my response below regarding goals. I guess I would say that losing weight is an important part of my primary goal which is to lower my a1c and avoid insulin.

50 g/day is a lot lower than what I am doing which works out to no more than 75.

My normal work-out is 30 minutes of cardio followed by at least two sets of 12-15 reps on weight machines.  I haven't worked out for a while though. I had a rough Feb with the flu followed by lower back pain.  I am reluctant to re-start until my back pain subsides.

But I need to put in next year's firewood before my knee replacement in late May, so my activity level over the next 6-7 weeks is about to spike.  I just hope my back permits it.

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Type 2, no insulin, take blood sugar once a day (average in the 90’s).  I used to drink a fair amount of beer (a cold one is quite good, eh), but I gave it up.  Have not had an alcoholic drink in a couple of years.  Just not worth it. 

Do you not take your blood sugar every day?

Not lately, but I should probably start again. 

Bourbon is zero carbs. Never been much of a liquour drinker, but I am starting to sample bourbons. (I thought about starting a thread on that.)

Michelob Ultra is good for a "cold one" after working, which is as much about the fizz as the flavor.  Only 2.6 carbs.  I do miss my ales and craft brews though.:no:

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Type 1 or type 2?  Do you take insulin?

I am trying to reduce my a1c as the primary goal and weight loss is part of that.

I actually was successful reducing my a1c last year by cutting out rice, pasta and such.  But I wasn't really trying all that hard - especially concerning bread and beer - and it rebounded on my last test.

The 25 net carbs in a 4 hour period is what is recommended by my primary care physician (an osteopath).  My other choice was to start low dose insulin injections. The diet is pretty severe, but I have been able to adhere to it by carefully researching the carb contents of foods and studying nutritional statements on packaged foods - particularly the portion size.  Atkin's products have helped a lot, particularly on sweet cravings. (Their snack bars are awesome if a little expensive.)  Alas, the only beer I now consume is Michelob Ultra.

While Lance crackers are a non-starter, but I eat a pretty good breakfast consisting of one piece of "Dave's Killer Power Seed Bread" buttered toast (12g), a couple of eggs, some Conecuh sausage and half an avocado. It helps that eggs, meats and cheese are low carb.

Actually I have found this diet to be easier than I expected. I don't really have the sort of hunger pangs expected.  I have also lost about 15-18 lbs in the 5 weeks since I started. I am actually anticipating my next blood test scheduled in mid-May.  I'm also scheduled for a knee replacement in late May and my surgeon wants to see a lower A1C, so I have plenty of motivation.

Depending on results, I will ask about a "maintenance" diet that is a little less strict, but I am prepared to stick with whatever is necessary - a "life style change" as you put it.

Thanks for responding.

15-18lbs........dang good.............most folks I know that have had knee replacement sing its praises..........will keep you in my thoughts and prayers👍

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I used to travel with a guy that.  While it was nothing for me to skip lunch (for example), at a certain time, he had to eat, period. 

Of course he was thin and a runner, whereas I was not. ;)

I can lose weight and have lost 25-30 lbs three times in the past 8 years. Fast food, mainly fried food has to be eliminated and moderate daily exercise EVERY DAY. I was cycling a lot. I just lose focus and gain it back.

But yes I can be as active as I want to but I MUST eat before physical activity , even if I’m not hungry. This started as a teenager. My coaches called my parents after I had an episode at baseball practice. Pediatric diagnosis after about two weeks of testing was simply , eat. This is the reason I didn’t join military. 

After nearly thirty years of Coors Light I’m on Michelob Ultra now. I am not a heavy drinker except on fall Saturdays but my tolerance gets lower with age. I can’t drink on an empty stomach but I also can’t drink if I’m too full. The Ultra is less filling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, homersapien said:

"Low carb" diet defined as no more than 25 g net carbs in a 4 hour period.

Ketosis.

Did it a few times years ago without realizing it. I've been told it does wonders for type II people, I know from experience it helps a lot with blood pressure. You can at the start go through feelings of lethargy... with me it was somewhat akin to light flu symptoms (Uncomfortable, but easy to work through). Your body is used to burning sugar and carbs for energy so when it changes over to mainly using fat as fuel it takes some getting used to, plus burning fat constantly raises body temp which leads to the "I'm sick" feeling.

But basically just eat fatty/protein filled foods, skip all sugary/carb loaded crap. AND this is just me, I doubt you'll find many who agree, but intermittent fasting helped me a ton while in ketosis.

Tuna, baked or grilled chicken, steak, and ground beef were my go to's. Condiments are generally cool too, just need to check their nutritional value. Mustard for example is perfectly fine.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mims44 said:

Ketosis.

Did it a few times years ago without realizing it. I've been told it does wonders for type II people, I know from experience it helps a lot with blood pressure. You can at the start go through feelings of lethargy... with me it was somewhat akin to light flu symptoms (Uncomfortable, but easy to work through). Your body is used to burning sugar and carbs for energy so when it changes over to mainly using fat as fuel it takes some getting used to, plus burning fat constantly raises body temp which leads to the "I'm sick" feeling.

But basically just eat fatty/protein filled foods, skip all sugary/carb loaded crap. AND this is just me, I doubt you'll find many who agree, but intermittent fasting helped me a ton while in ketosis.

Tuna, baked or grilled chicken, steak, and ground beef were my go to's. Condiments are generally cool too, just need to check their nutritional value. Mustard for example is perfectly fine.

I doubt I am in full ketosis on 60-75 g carbs/day, but I am continuing to lose weight.

By fasting, do you mean skipping meals for one day?

I am actually doing well on this.  Surprised by my lack of hunger pangs.  But I really miss indulging in some of my "comfort" foods - like a loaded grits bowl or corn muffins. ;D

But if this is what it takes to stay off insulin, I'm in.  Looking forward to increased mobility with my knee replacement. Hiking is another thing I miss.

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I doubt I am in full ketosis on 60-75 g carbs/day, but I am continuing to lose weight.

By fasting, do you mean skipping meals for one day?

I am actually doing well on this.  Surprised by my lack of hunger pangs.  But I really miss indulging in some of my "comfort" foods - like a loaded grits bowl or corn muffins. ;D

But this is what it takes to stay off insulin, I'm in.  Looking forward to increased mobility with my knee replacement. Hiking is another thing I miss.

I usually go 0 carbs 0 sugar, but you can do keto in varying amounts. Some people can have 15-20 carbs a day others can have near double that and still be good. They sell keto strips at drugstores and walmart that test your urine (since ketones are released through urine) that can tell you if you are in it or not.

The fasting helped me a ton at the start, it got me into ketosis faster, as well as helping to shrink my stomach over time. So when I stopped or would break from doing the diet I was eating foods again that weren't all that healthy, but I was eating in much smaller portions. 

EDIT: By intermittent fasting I mean doing what I could handle when I felt like it. To start off it might have been a daily fast so I go from dinner one night to dinner the next night with no meals in between. Though I never do more than 48 hours... don't know if it's cool to go longer but I've had a lot of people tell me not to. :) 

As someone else who really enjoys good food and dislikes having to cut some of my favorites out from time to time, I can tell you the way I look at it is like this; I'm not cutting out biscuits and gravy forever. I'm cutting them out now because I have this work to be done on my body. When I'm finished I can have those things again (although more sparingly and in smaller portions) ... So in other words it helps to know they aren't gone forever.

I was addicted to carbs -- rice and potatoes, bread, pasta (I loved pasta) and worst of all to chips. I also drank more than I should.

Now I do low carbs and intermittent fasting. I eat all my food for the day during an 8 hour window from 1:00 to 9:00 PM. I do not count carbs, I just avoid the nastiest of high-carb foods -- meaning I eat virtually no processed foods, nothing with added sugar, and almost never any high-carb veggies. Some fresh fruit, no juices. I pretty much eat only "good" fats (olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc).

I use frozen riced cauliflower instead of rice and potatoes (you can cream it like mashed potatoes). I make pizza dough with it, even "toast." I occasionally (like once a month) will have a small amount of brown, black or red rice. I also occasionally allow whole grain like unpearled farro, quinoa or kamut in small amounts. I occasionally include some lentils, black or navy beans in a soup. No chips. Instead nuts.

I do all the cooking at my house (wifey likes my cooking). I cook a lot of poultry, shrimp, fish, and less often beef and pork. The reason I don't miss carbs is because I have expanded my repertoire to encompass the world. A hundred ways to cook chicken with flavors of Asia, Caribbean, Middle East, Pacific island, India, regional U.S. Same for fish and shrimp. Pork and beef as well. And eggs and cheese.

I stir fry, roast, slow cook, pressure cook, grill. The possibilities are endless with a wok, sheet pan, and Instant Pot to diversify from the standard pots and pans.

I've been eating lowish carb, only good fats, and high protein for 3 years. I added the intermittent fasting aspect last year. Over that time I've lost 35 lbs, eating all the protein I want, so never running on empty. That's without much exercise other than yard work (part of that is age and part is laziness).

I'd say, if you want to reduce carbs, diversify your collection of recipes and definitely do not get into a rut with meals. Chicken, seafood, beef and pork can become new and different every day. Lots of veggies are low in carbs - focus on those and avoid the others. Drink alcohol only in moderation and if you are looking to increase weight loss, eliminate alcohol altogether.

I think that low carb diets are a great thing. It is bread and rice and potatoes and sugary drinks that are making American fat and unhealthy--not red meat. For a diabetic, this is even more true. Do your own research about low-carb diets, because the general public is biased against them. When I have been in ketosis I would sometimes have a metallic taste in my mouth and would DEFINITELY get muscle soreness from doing simple things like walking up stairs. People will tell you that your cholesterol will go WAY up on a low-carb diet, but it is NOT true in most cases. I once checked my cholesterol and then went on a very low carb diet for 3 months--like <25g of carbs per day. I ate all of the meat and cheese and non-starchy vegetable I wanted, including 3 eggs and bacon or sausage every morning. My total cholesterol dropped from 212 to 176, and of my 36 point drop, only 3 of it was my HDL (56-53).

For a type 2 diabetic, a low carb diet is ideal. Best of luck with it!

20 hours ago, Grumps said:

I think that low carb diets are a great thing. It is bread and rice and potatoes and sugary drinks that are making American fat and unhealthy--not red meat. For a diabetic, this is even more true. Do your own research about low-carb diets, because the general public is biased against them. When I have been in ketosis I would sometimes have a metallic taste in my mouth and would DEFINITELY get muscle soreness from doing simple things like walking up stairs. People will tell you that your cholesterol will go WAY up on a low-carb diet, but it is NOT true in most cases. I once checked my cholesterol and then went on a very low carb diet for 3 months--like <25g of carbs per day. I ate all of the meat and cheese and non-starchy vegetable I wanted, including 3 eggs and bacon or sausage every morning. My total cholesterol dropped from 212 to 176, and of my 36 point drop, only 3 of it was my HDL (56-53).

For a type 2 diabetic, a low carb diet is ideal. Best of luck with it!

Like you, I am eating a lot more eggs and sausage (Conecuh -  ummmmm!).

I've been curious about my cholesterol levels. Guess I will find out in a few more weeks when my next blood work is schedule.

But I figure that will be off-set to some degree by weight loss.

If I didn’t get the gitters every time my sugar tanks I would go keto. It doesn’t happen very often but I went on a bike ride a couple weeks ago. Worked till 2:30 AM got up at 9:30 wide awake no appetite. So I grabbed the iPod and water and headed out. Rode about 8 miles. ( this makes my hips and knees feel great) about 3 miles from my house the shakes hit. That three miles was difficult. If someone had been home I would have called them to come get me. I hadn’t eaten since 8:45Pm. By the time I drug myself home I’m in heart palpitations, over ate ( never helps) and was completely spent the rest of the day. 

Keto is out, if I exercise early fasting is out. There are other ways for me though. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, homersapien said:

Not lately, but I should probably start again. 

Bourbon is zero carbs. Never been much of a liquour drinker, but I am starting to sample bourbons. (I thought about starting a thread on that.)

Michelob Ultra is good for a "cold one" after working, which is as much about the fizz as the flavor.  Only 2.6 carbs.  I do miss my ales and craft brews though.:no:

Was going to suggest spirits to replace beer. I have a buddy who lost 15 lbs just by cutting out beer and sticking to bourbon. He didn't even moderate the drinking. Now, that obviously doubles as a cautionary tale about drinking too much, but it provides perspective.

And when you need that cold, fizzy, refreshing post-yardwork drink that bourbon can't replace, a vodka soda (NOT tonic) with lime can't be beat. And if you use the La Croix-style carbonated waters with fruit essence, oh man, that tastes good on a hot day. 

I still love and drink beer, but I don't drink it in quantity anymore. Part of that is just getting older, but it's helping me to not completely turn into a pile of dookie in my 40s. Especially nightcaps. Never do beer as a nightcap. 

Legumes can make a great carb substitute. Try chopping up your Conecuh (greatest export in state history) in a pan and browning it with some garlic and maybe some onions, then a bunch of chopped spinach or kale, then a mess of white beans. Italian redneck chili. World class comfort food. You'll still miss the bread, but not nearly as much. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Was going to suggest spirits to replace beer. I have a buddy who lost 15 lbs just by cutting out beer and sticking to bourbon. He didn't even moderate the drinking. Now, that obviously doubles as a cautionary tale about drinking too much, but it provides perspective.

And when you need that cold, fizzy, refreshing post-yardwork drink that bourbon can't replace, a vodka soda (NOT tonic) with lime can't be beat. And if you use the La Croix-style carbonated waters with fruit essence, oh man, that tastes good on a hot day. 

I still love and drink beer, but I don't drink it in quantity anymore. Part of that is just getting older, but it's helping me to not completely turn into a pile of dookie in my 40s. Especially nightcaps. Never do beer as a nightcap. 

Legumes can make a great carb substitute. Try chopping up your Conecuh (greatest export in state history) in a pan and browning it with some garlic and maybe some onions, then a bunch of chopped spinach or kale, then a mess of white beans. Italian redneck chili. World class comfort food. You'll still miss the bread, but not nearly as much. 

Yeah, I love beans and always have.  I typically cook 2 lbs of dried beans at a time, mostly used in the sort of dishes you just described.

But beans have more net carbs (total carbs less fiber carbs) that you might assume. You have to be careful with portion size when trying to maintain a 25 g carb / 4 hour period regimen.

Thanks for the advice.  I have pretty much switched from beer to bourbon for my daily happy hour.  An 18 pack of Michelob Ultra will last me for weeks.  While only 2.6 g of carbs each, but you make some good suggestions for even eliminating those with alternative carbonated drinks.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, I love beans and always have.  I typically cook 2 lbs of dried beans at a time, mostly used in the sort of dishes you just described.

But beans have more net carbs (less fiber carbs) that you might assume. You have to be careful with portion size when trying to maintain a 25 carb in a 4 hour period regimen.

Thanks for the advice.  I have pretty much switched from beer to bourbon for my daily happy hour.  An 18 pack of Michelob Ultra will last me for weeks.  While only 2.6 g of carbs each, but you make some good suggestions for even eliminating those with alternative carbonated drinks.  Thanks!

Well that's bad bean news for me because I love them sons-a-byatches. But I'm glad my response wasn't entirely in vain!

Dried beans > canned, by such a significant margin. Color me not surprised that you are already on top of that. 

On 4/23/2019 at 1:00 AM, alexava said:

If I didn’t get the gitters every time my sugar tanks I would go keto. It doesn’t happen very often but I went on a bike ride a couple weeks ago. Worked till 2:30 AM got up at 9:30 wide awake no appetite. So I grabbed the iPod and water and headed out. Rode about 8 miles. ( this makes my hips and knees feel great) about 3 miles from my house the shakes hit. That three miles was difficult. If someone had been home I would have called them to come get me. I hadn’t eaten since 8:45Pm. By the time I drug myself home I’m in heart palpitations, over ate ( never helps) and was completely spent the rest of the day. 

Keto is out, if I exercise early fasting is out. There are other ways for me though. 

Sounds like you need to take some glucose tablets or high sugar snacks with you when cycling.   Cycling and carbs sort of go together. ;)

Archived