Gators’ 2019 recruiting class continues to dwindle

augolf1716

Hurts my feelings

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-news-0710-20190709-dujeow2s4naz3iikcbv2jdyiee-story.html

UF coach Dan Mullen’s second class was the Gators’ first top-10 recruiting haul since 2014.

The Gators now face the prospect of losing more than 25% of the 2019 class.

Lakeland offensive lineman Deyavie Hammond is the fourth member of the class no longer on the team. Hammond announced on Twitter he failed to qualify academically and will attend junior college.

Three more signees also are unlikely to make it to campus this summer due to academics, including four-star receiver Arjei Henderson, the 140th-ranked player in the nation. Three-star receiver Dionte Marks of Deland also does not seem to have the grades to qualify, while offensive lineman Wardrick Wilson, a native of the Bahamas, has academic issues along with a problem obtaining a visa.

Cornerback Chris Steele, the top-rated recruit in the class, and quarterback Jalon Jones left the program this spring after Jones was accused of sexual battery. Jones ultimately was not charged. Steele was Jones’ roommate and named as a witness in the complaint field by two female students at UF.

Four-star linebacker Diwun Black, of Mississippi, also has enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College due to academic issues. Black, the nation’s No. 151-rated player, moved to Kissimmee last summer to focus on improving his academic standing, but he ultimately was unable to qualify.

In addition to the attrition in the 2019 class, reserve cornerback Brian Edwards has decided to transfer after two seasons at UF. Edwards’ decision and Steele’s transfer leave the Gators with just seven scholarship cornerbacks, including first-year freshmen Kaiir Elam and Chester Kimbrough.

Two other cornerbacks, redshirt sophomore Marco Wilson and first-year freshman Jaydon Hill, are coming back from ACL tears suffered last season.

Edwards, a native of Miramar, played in 18 games for UF, but he never started. He was expected to give the Gators experienced depth.

Edwards announced his decision Monday on Twitter a little more than two weeks after a misdemeanor battery charge against him was dropped due to insufficient evidence. Edwards was arrested May 6 for allegedly grabbing his longtime girlfriend by her neck as she attempted to leave their apartmen

Could it be that MSU had some different standards?

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Could it be that MSU had some different standards?

I just think dude is just not a good recruiter. He has a pretty grating personality and is honestly a a**hole but so are a lot of good coaches past and present who were able to be great recruiters. He just does not connect at all with the high school players. Or at least not as much as he needs to and should be doing at Florida which can be a recruiting juggernaut with the right coach in place. And you can get away with it at a school like Florida IF you hire great recruiters surrounding him and he did not do it at State and he obviously has not learned his lesson and is not doing it at Florida either. Do not get me wrong I think as a actual developer of talent he is one of the very best in not only the SEC but the nation but you can only do so much when you are at a deficit of talent each season. It will catch up to him at florida if he strings together some 8-5 seasons together like he did at State. Like you said completely different standards at Florida and they will not put up with that at all.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Tubs 2.0

Back then though the penalty for guys not qualifying was not near as rough as now.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just think dude is just not a good recruiter. He has a pretty grating personality and is honestly a a**hole but so are a lot of good coaches past and present who were able to be great recruiters. He just does not connect at all with the high school players. Or at least not as much as he needs to and should be doing at Florida which can be a recruiting juggernaut with the right coach in place. And you can get away with it at a school like Florida IF you hire great recruiters surrounding him and he did not do it at State and he obviously has not learned his lesson and is not doing it at Florida either. Do not get me wrong I think as a actual developer of talent he is one of the very best in not only the SEC but the nation but you can only do so much when you are at a deficit of talent each season. It will catch up to him at florida if he strings together some 8-5 seasons together like he did at State. Like you said completely different standards at Florida and they will not put up with that at all.

Good points, but I was referring specifically to academic standards. He had very few academic casualties at MSU, but has lost a bunch in a very short time at UF. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good points, but I was referring specifically to academic standards. He had very few academic casualties at MSU, but has lost a bunch in a very short time at UF. 

I was just using you as my drug mule to give me a excuse to go on my cousin eddie rant!!! lol. Thanks for being a good sport! 

rtr.gif

erety.jpg

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Tubs 2.0

Tubs was back in the day when a school could sign 35 or 40 or more, so if 15 didn't qualify there was nothing lost. These days signing a non-qualifier hurts!

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s possible Florida has different standards then Mississippi State. I know Auburn has different standards than the Mississippi schools. There have been a number of guys over the years that I’ve been able to get into their schools that couldn’t get into Auburn because of a grade in a class or two.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, augolf1716 said:

Hurts my feelings

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-news-0710-20190709-dujeow2s4naz3iikcbv2jdyiee-story.html

UF coach Dan Mullen’s second class was the Gators’ first top-10 recruiting haul since 2014.

The Gators now face the prospect of losing more than 25% of the 2019 class.

Lakeland offensive lineman Deyavie Hammond is the fourth member of the class no longer on the team. Hammond announced on Twitter he failed to qualify academically and will attend junior college.

Three more signees also are unlikely to make it to campus this summer due to academics, including four-star receiver Arjei Henderson, the 140th-ranked player in the nation. Three-star receiver Dionte Marks of Deland also does not seem to have the grades to qualify, while offensive lineman Wardrick Wilson, a native of the Bahamas, has academic issues along with a problem obtaining a visa.

Cornerback Chris Steele, the top-rated recruit in the class, and quarterback Jalon Jones left the program this spring after Jones was accused of sexual battery. Jones ultimately was not charged. Steele was Jones’ roommate and named as a witness in the complaint field by two female students at UF.

Four-star linebacker Diwun Black, of Mississippi, also has enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College due to academic issues. Black, the nation’s No. 151-rated player, moved to Kissimmee last summer to focus on improving his academic standing, but he ultimately was unable to qualify.

In addition to the attrition in the 2019 class, reserve cornerback Brian Edwards has decided to transfer after two seasons at UF. Edwards’ decision and Steele’s transfer leave the Gators with just seven scholarship cornerbacks, including first-year freshmen Kaiir Elam and Chester Kimbrough.

Two other cornerbacks, redshirt sophomore Marco Wilson and first-year freshman Jaydon Hill, are coming back from ACL tears suffered last season.

Edwards, a native of Miramar, played in 18 games for UF, but he never started. He was expected to give the Gators experienced depth.

Edwards announced his decision Monday on Twitter a little more than two weeks after a misdemeanor battery charge against him was dropped due to insufficient evidence. Edwards was arrested May 6 for allegedly grabbing his longtime girlfriend by her neck as she attempted to leave their apartmen

I think FSU is even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the hits just keep on coming............been like 5 violence incidents with women with tha gators this year. But they did get the 5* transfer LB from uga hmmm a pattern here???

On 7/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Many never made it in.....taking high risk guys....like Tubs..

And another one bites the dust 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/16/third-four-star-2019-signee-fails-to-qualify-wont-enroll-at-florida/

Unfortunately for Dan Mullen, the third time wasn’t a charm for his 2019 recruiting class.

It had already been confirmed that a pair of four-star 2019 signees, linebacker Diwun Black (HERE) and offensive lineman Deyavie Hammond (HERE), would be forced to go the junior college route after failing to qualify at Florida.  Unfortunately, the number of non-qualifiers is now up to three as The Athletic is reporting Arjei Henderson will not enroll at UF and will be released from his National Letter of Intent.

What specific issues derailed the wide receiver’s admission weren’t divulged.

Like Black and Hammond, Henderson was a four-star member of the Gators’ most recent recruiting class.  The 6-1, 183-pound receiver was rated as the No. 22 player at any position in the state of Florida.

The attrition may not be over, either, as Wardrick Wilson is working his way through a visa issue that may or may not be resolved this year.  The four-star offensive tackle is from the Bahamas.

On top of all of those issues, two other four-star 2019 signees, quarterback Jalon Jones(HERE) and cornerback Chris Steele (HERE), have transferred from the program — one of his own volition, the other not — after enrolling early.

All told, the six players mentioned in this post represent the No. 1, No. 7, No. 8, No. 9, No. 13 and No. 16 signees in the Gators’ 26-player recruiting class that was rated ninth in the country.

Been wondering about Mullens and recruiting.....he's in the happy hunting ground of HS football yet seems to be having a hard time pulling together a solid class and keeping them in school....getting scraps and rejects ?

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Been wondering about Mullens and recruiting.....he's in the happy hunting ground of HS football yet seems to be having a hard time pulling together a solid class and keeping them in school....getting scraps and rejects ?

@AU64 moved your post here since we have a thread on the topic.

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably not scraps & rejects but he's not recruiting the most solid of citizens, obviously.  That's something I do take pride in with Gus.  I know there's many who are "just win baby" and care about nothing but the score but we're not watching robots.  I prefer to have an emotional attachment, otherwise I'd quit watching like I did with Pro sports.

Since we're watching humans playing the game it's very nice to actually LIKE the players which makes it much easier to PULL for them.

Recruiting solid citizens seems to be a problem for all 3 of the big Florida schools. Miami = Thug U, but I think FSU caught up with them during the Jimbo era, and UF has always had problems. Urban was protecting assaulters and rapists and druggies. So I don't know that Mullen is any worse about recruiting, maybe just less successful getting them admitted.

Can't say I'm shocked or sad.

However, I'll agree that the admission standards at UF are definitely higher than the Mississippi schools (and most other SEC schools). So, I hope he continues to remain oblivious to that when recruiting! 😀

All SEC schools outside of Vandy follow the NCAA minimum standards.  There's no difference between MSU, AU, and UF.

Archived