RB By Committe Approach in 2019?

aujeff11

15 hours ago, logan adams said:

And Joiner should get more touches than Kam Martin,.

@aujeff11 @bigbird

Why those reactions? Joiner has way more upside than Martin. Plus, reports are saying that Joiner and DJ are bleeding into more of Boobee’s reps, especially last practice. Not much said of Kam Martin. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, logan adams said:

@aujeff11 @bigbird

Why those reactions? Joiner has way more upside than Martin. Plus, reports are saying that Joiner and DJ are bleeding into more of Boobee’s reps, especially last practice. Not much said of Kam Martin. 

I disagree and have seen KMart be scapegoated for other units failings way too many times. He is the Neiko Thorpe on offense the last couple years.

I believe that KMart would be a really good back if he was ever used properly. Or if they hadn't tried to turn his running style into the KJesque, uber-patient runner. That's not who he is. He is, and always has been, an attack the LoS, fast to the hole runner; similar to a Brad Lester type back.

As far as Joiner being more talented, no one has seen enough to try and make that statement.

55 minutes ago, logan adams said:

@aujeff11 @bigbird

I laughed because I agreed. Just don’t see it happening. 

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I disagree and have seen KMart be scapegoated for other units failings way too many times. He is the Neiko Thorpe on offense the last couple years.

I believe that KMart would be a really good back if he was ever used properly. Or if they hadn't tried to turn his running style into the KJesque, uber-patient runner. That's not who he is. He is, and always has been, an attack the LoS, fast to the hole runner; similar to a Brad Lester type back.

As far as Joiner being more talented, no one has seen enough to try and make that statement.

But Joiner's big and KMart's not big. Bro do you even lift?

I love me some KMart, but I just don't see him contributing much more than he had the previous two seasons. Folks can argue about his ability, but I feel like Gus passed judgment on him a long time ago. 

Just my personal opinion: there are other backs that I'm more interested in seeing get carries before KMart - notably Shivers.

23 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Thought I heard Jay Tate say that this morning on JOX but I was also working so I may have mis heard him.  Kam has the speed but needs to be a little more patient and needs a little better vision to be a real threat. 

Like @bigbird said, KMart is a hit the hole quickly type of runner, but from the videos of practice we have been able to see, it seems Cadillac is teaching the RBs to take a step right before the QB hands them the ball, which seems to give the RBs time to let the holes develop. 

3 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

We are talking about a ($7) million/year man here. It seems to me we are banking on external influences to prod him in the direction we think he needs to move. I  find this very concerning.

It is very concerning. As well as the fact we have to start a true freshman or a redshirt freshman at QB in year 7. 

Both are equally as concerning.

Hopefully Gus can pull a rabbit out of his hat. 

Although something is in play now that wasn't there 2 months ago... 2 months ago I thought if Gus finished 8-5 again there was no way he would be retained. However now we are sitting at the #6 recruiting class in the nation. Gus has leverage he didn't have 2 months ago. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I love me some KMart, but I just don't see him contributing much more than he had the previous two seasons. Folks can argue about his ability, but I feel like Gus passed judgment on him a long time ago. 

Just my personal opinion: there are other backs that I'm more interested in seeing get carries before KMart - notably Shivers.

I agree with you here. Doesn't matter what our opinion is or even what his skill set actually is. Gus isn't going to use him. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I agree with you here. Doesn't matter what our opinion is or even what his skill set actually is. Gus isn't going to use him. 

I feel like KM's problem is vision more than it is Gus.  You can watch him run up the backside of OL instead of just being a little patient and wait for the hole before going full blast into a brick wall.  I feel like he tried it early last year but kept getting caught in backfield because he wouldn't make a decision.  Then later in the year it was just full steam ahead until hit the OL.  There are times that you have to cut your loss and take what you can get.  Then there are times that you have to be patient and see what is going to open up.  Good RBs know the difference.  So far, I haven't seen that judgement from KM.

If K mart used appropriately then yes he can be effective, however (and I say this with complete bias) Harold has serious potential with god given size. If they can tap into that this man, dare I say, can be a poor man’s Derrick Henry?! 

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I feel like KM's problem is vision more than it is Gus.  You can watch him run up the backside of OL instead of just being a little patient and wait for the hole before going full blast into a brick wall.  I feel like he tried it early last year but kept getting caught in backfield because he wouldn't make a decision.  Then later in the year it was just full steam ahead until hit the OL.  There are times that you have to cut your loss and take what you can get.  Then there are times that you have to be patient and see what is going to open up.  Good RBs know the difference.  So far, I haven't seen that judgement from KM.

Being patient behind our OL last year was good for about 2 1/2 yards a carry. There's no right answer when there's nobody blocking.

Equally problematic is that Gus and Horton tried to turn him into something he's not ever since he got here. Put on a ton of weight, run differently... 

All that said, I see different things than you do when I watch him run. I might be wrong.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

He is the Neiko Thorpe on offense the last couple years.

Haven't seen this name on the board in a while.  Friends with him on Facebook.  Really cool person it seems.  Out of curiosity, what made you think he was underutilized?

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Haven't seen this name on the board in a while.  Friends with him on Facebook.  Really cool person it seems.  Out of curiosity, what made you think he was underutilized?

Neiko?

He wasn't underutilized. He was, however, extremely underappreciated and dogged every game by ignorant fans.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Neiko?

He wasn't underutilized. He was, however, extremely underappreciated and dogged every game by ignorant fans.

I guess I don't remember that.  I do remember fans dogging Lee Ziemba all of the time though.  They were almost waiting for him to false start.

25 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

FWIW, this is what I see as well. 

@bigbird is probably correct in his evaluation that Kam hasn't been used to his strengths in the past, and I know Kam has made statements reflecting what @McLoofus just noted - that he made a mistake by trying to alter his running style, but at the end of the day it's the guys who can "create" yards when blocking breaks down who are going to touch the football the most. When the offense is rolling, and the line is opening up running lanes, Kam is going to be as effective as anyone. It's when the blocking breaks down that I think Kam suffers the most - and more than other backs. For instance, Shivers is every bit as quick as Kam, he's faster than Kam, and I think he's a tougher and more creative runner than Kam. So, if Boobie continues to hold onto the primary spot in the rotation, Shivers is the back I'd like to see rotating in before Martin. As for Joiner - he presents some exciting possibilities, but who knows how, or how well he will be used. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I guess I don't remember that.  I do remember fans dogging Lee Ziemba all of the time though.  They were almost waiting for him to false start.

Weeelllllll. he did false start a lot.

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Weeelllllll. he did false start a lot.

As a true freshman, sure. Maybe even as a sophomore. 

Most of that same crew that won us the natty in 2010 started as freshmen on the 2007 team that saw Al Borges fired and then watched Tony Franklin run screaming out of the building midseason their very next year. 

Kam ran for 3.85 yards per rush against power 5 teams last year. Over 5 yards per rush against non power 5.

His attempts per game also drop when it comes to playing conference games or ranked teams. He’s clearly not  what Gus wants to rely on against the better teams. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

FWIW, this is what I see as well. 

@bigbird is probably correct in his evaluation that Kam hasn't been used to his strengths in the past, and I know Kam has made statements reflecting what @McLoofus just noted - that he made a mistake by trying to alter his running style, but at the end of the day it's the guys who can "create" yards when blocking breaks down who are going to touch the football the most. When the offense is rolling, and the line is opening up running lanes, Kam is going to be as effective as anyone. It's when the blocking breaks down that I think Kam suffers the most - and more than other backs. For instance, Shivers is every bit as quick as Kam, he's faster than Kam, and I think he's a tougher and more creative runner than Kam. So, if Boobie continues to hold onto the primary spot in the rotation, Shivers is the back I'd like to see rotating in before Martin. As for Joiner - he presents some exciting possibilities, but who knows how, or how well he will be used. 

I can live with the Worm part. You've watched Worm play so it's an informed and carefully considered opinion. In fact, I think I agree.

It's just with Joiner, like you said, who knows.

You know how I am. I can't stand people looking at numbers on the screen and making up their minds about who the better player is. And why do they keep doing it?!?!?! The corpse of Will Hastings Will Never Play isn't even cold yet!!!

I really think Joiner got a bad rap coming out of high school and he’s going to prove some people wrong. According to teammates he’s already proving that he’s a tough kid.

Just now, toddc said:

I really think Joiner got a bad rap coming out of high school and he’s going to prove some people wrong. According to teammates he’s already proving that he’s a tough kid.

He's another one that, if we were wrong about him, so was everyone else. Definitely pulling for him to made us all look dumb. Would LOVE for him to put up a Mario Fannin-type stat line this year. ~45 carries, ~30 catches, ~650 yards...

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I can live with the Worm part. You've watched Worm play so it's an informed and carefully considered opinion. In fact, I think I agree.

It's just with Joiner, like you said, who knows.

You know how I am. I can't stand people looking at numbers on the screen and making up their minds about who the better player is. And why do they keep doing it?!?!?! The corpse of Will Hastings Will Never Play isn't even cold yet!!!

Well not only that, but Joiner and Martin won't be competing for the same carries, right? Two totally different skill sets so far as I understand it, and it's likely that they end up in the backfield together. I just see them as an apples to oranges comparison. Shivers and Martin are likely competing for similar comparisons and that's why I used him. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Well not only that, but Joiner and Martin won't be competing for the same carries, right? Two totally different skill sets so far as I understand it, and it's likely that they end up in the backfield together. I just see them as an apples to oranges comparison. Shivers and Martin are likely competing for similar comparisons and that's why I used him. 

I honestly don't know what Joiner's skill set is. Like, I have no idea. He's obviously much bigger than KMart, but as far as I know they might both be 1-cut, hit the hole hard guys. 

I think Joiner's been taking some Wildcat snaps and that makes sense to me. Wouldn't be surprised if Gus isn't making sure there's not some DMac/KJ in there somewhere. (Caddy's point of reference would be Ronnie, but that sure seems like a stretch.)

But yeah, I just gotta see him play. Really looking forward to it. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As a true freshman, sure. Maybe even as a sophomore.

How do I remember an o-lineman's jersey number 9 years later?

Cause I heard it called out all the time.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2010/8/24/OT_Lee_Ziemba_Working_to_Get_Better.aspx

On the bright side, he was pretty much a bad ass other than that cause most folks would have been shown the bench for penalties.

Archived