Why not Gatewood at RB?

Quietmaninthecorner

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It is no different than the wildcat package other than 2 QBs in the backfield. i am sure he can handle learning a few plays in the next few weeks.   He should alrady know what the RB is supposed to do on ny given play.   I am not saying him a RB  more like put him in at RB for a few plays.   Distraction...Just learn who to block.    where to take the hand off/ pitch.   and    pitch/RPO .   each for 2 plays gives 6 options not including  Bo's options while Joey blocks.   

The way to use Joey is to do one of these: a) give him a series or two in the game to confuse the defense, b) give him a package to come in with certain formations and situations, c) use Joey when we have the lead and want to burn clock. From what I've seen so far, it has been a combination of B and C. We actually brought him in for a play early in the game, but the refs messed it up. We planned to run him out there quickly and snap it before the defense could really react, Unfortunately, the refs held up play for something stupid (like they did several times last night) and the players stood in formation for quite a while. By the time we were ready to snap it, the defensive coaches had seen how we were lined up and had plenty of time to try to guess what we were going to run with him in the game. He also did a good job keeping the clock moving at the end of the game. One of the reasons we didn't score much in the second half is that we took up 1/8 of the game with one drive that we arguably could have scored on (but instead took a knee). That last drive was 8 frickin minutes. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The way to use Joey is to do one of these: a) give him a series or two in the game to confuse the defense, b) give him a package to come in with certain formations and situations, c) use Joey when we have the lead and want to burn clock. From what I've seen so far, it has been a combination of B and C. We actually brought him in for a play early in the game, but the refs messed it up. We planned to run him out there quickly and snap it before the defense could really react, Unfortunately, the refs held up play for something stupid (like they did several times last night) and the players stood in formation for quite a while. By the time we were ready to snap it, the defensive coaches had seen how we were lined up and had plenty of time to try to guess what we were going to run with him in the game. He also did a good job keeping the clock moving at the end of the game. One of the reasons we didn't score much in the second half is that we took up 1/8 of the game with one drive that we arguably could have scored on (but instead took a knee). That last drive was 8 frickin minutes. 

The stupid thing was a malfunctioning clock. Not exactly the ref’s fault.

Why not give him a few series at QB and see what happens......with the ability to run all 8 of the offensive plays including the 4 pass plays.

38 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The stupid thing was a malfunctioning clock. Not exactly the ref’s fault.

I think that was earlier in the game, but I could be wrong. Still, those officials stopped play more than was necessary, and I think it had at least a little effect on our rhythm. 

6' 5" running backs seldom do well. I'd like to see him get a shot at center or right guard though. Starting center, backup QB, sounds like a plan.

14 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

6' 5" running backs seldom do well. I'd like to see him get a shot at center or right guard though. Starting center, backup QB, sounds like a plan.

it is not that he would be a great RB or that he would take another RB job.,  it is that he would  present a lot of issues with Bo in the game as QB.   Either one CAN run or pass,   (assuming Joey can pass decently).  Bo can run decent enough.   Between the two there are so many options.     Turns the read option into:   keep the ball and pass.  keep the ball and run,  hand off/ pitch the ball and then run,  or pitch the ball and then pass.  Just a handfull of times a game.   2 plays  - 4 options each.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yep.  We are the #8 in the polls this week and a complete effing joke on offense.  How in the hell does this happen every year?

We won’t be for long. I think we are quite overrated at this point. With all the landmines we have coming up on the schedule, I’m enjoying the great ranking while I can.  

Well, we are #8.  We already knocked off #15.  Nobody outside of the top 10 worries me too much.  We are going to beat A&M.

Unfortunately, our schedule includes  #2, #3, #4, &, #9.  Keep a little perspective.

Gatewood needs quality snaps at QB more than anything. He needs to be able to think like a QB and throw the ball some. Not run an option every snap he takes. If the QB battle was so close, why hasnt Gus let him throw a pass yet? He needs to play the last 3 quarters this weekend. 

9 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well, we are #8.  We already knocked off #15.  Nobody outside of the top 10 worries me too much.  We are going to beat A&M.

Unfortunately, our schedule includes  #2, #3, #4, &, #9.  Keep a little perspective.

That should tell you rankings don’t mean a thing this army.. UF doesn’t seem like a top ten team and neither does Auburn. I don’t pay attention to rankings to about after week 4.

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Perhaps OP should stick to his namesake. 😉

WTF?  It is just spit-balling.  Trying to get some discussion going here other than the bitching and moaning.   You do not think Joey would be good in the wildcat position?  It is basically the same thing with a wrinkle.    Perhaps you should go back to shock therapy.😉    

We need a backup QB more capable than Cord. If Gus can’t find one RB, in his huge list of guys, that can run and block, he should be let go on his talent assessment alone. There is a RB in the rotation who can do both. It’s just a matter of finding him and putting him on the field. 

17 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

How do you stop that?!

Have our O line block for him. 

Archived