Phillip Marshall Article

twilli13

53 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

How many more SEC teams does Clemson have to beat on the national stage for folks to realize they'd be in Atlanta regularly?

If the bar is set higher by others you don't wait for it to lower, you figure out a way to get there. 

Be in Atlanta regularly is right and if they were in the East, it would be bama, Clemson, every year in Atlanta.. throwing in LSU in the west .. but clemson would dominate the eastern division of the SEC. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

You're forgetting Clemson came into national relevance when FSU & VT were strong. This is the same school that had it's own word for choking. Dabo's been there a decade it took him less than 7 to take the conference over. How did he do that? Recruit SEC talent to play at a SEC level. 

So hire Dabo? I’m down with that. But don’t tell him his two biggest rivals are Georgia and Alabama and he has to play against both and recruit against both every year. And don’t mention to him that he is not the bell cow of his own state, but I’m sure he’s use to that going against South Carolina and their big tradition and dominance.

18 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So hire Dabo? I’m down with that. But don’t tell him his two biggest rivals are Georgia and Alabama and he has to play against both and recruit against both every year. And don’t mention to him that he is not the bell cow of his own state, but I’m sure he’s use to that going against South Carolina and their big tradition and dominance.

He already recruits against both and plays alabama almost annually. USC went on a 5 year W streak starting in '09 so he's used to competitive in-state rivals. I never said hire Dabo but Clemson's earned their respect.

It’s not that we are complacent with mediocrity and to say that is a joke.  It is that many of those are not willing to risk tarnishing Auburn’s image.  And that is a real risk.  That can be difficult for those that do not view Auburn as more than a football school.  Those that do see Auburn for more than that understand the value the school has and the high road we typically take and appreciate that.  

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It’s not that we are complacent with mediocrity and to say that is a joke.  It is that many of those are not willing to risk tarnishing Auburn’s image.  And that is a real risk.  That can be difficult for those that do not view Auburn as more than a football school.  Those that do see Auburn for more than that understand the value the school has and the high road we typically take and appreciate that.  

I love Auburn. The university. But Auburn has many many times done plenty to tarnish its image and yet life goes on. Its still a fine academic institution. Firing a football coach won’t change that.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Thanks Mr Auburn. Us Great Unwashed appreciate you defending Auburn's integrity.

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I love Auburn. The university. But Auburn has many many times done plenty to tarnish its image and yet life goes on. Its still a fine academic institution. Firing a football coach won’t change that.

I’m not disagreeing with firing a coach.  It’s just the statement we are complacent and are essentially too lazy to do anything to be successful.  That is very loaded.  

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

And btw abw, you know I respect you, but to characterize those who want better as just caring about football is way out of line. All the Auburn people I know love Auburn. Not just football  And its their love of Auburn that wants to see it succeed in every area. The student athletes on that team deserve better. Just like our basketball players did for so many years. Its the other big time school in the state that has all the sidewalk alumni not us.

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

How on Earth would firing Gus in any way tarnish Auburn's image? Every year plenty of schools fire coaches. How is this any different? Do those schools tarnish their image as well?

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not disagreeing with firing a coach.  It’s just the statement we are complacent and are essentially too lazy to do anything to be successful.  That is very loaded.  

May be loaded but its true. In my lifetime(42 years), Auburn has nearly always had weak leadership that holds back its athletic programs. You have a very idealized view of our university. It is great, I do love it,  but its far from perfect and thats in large part due to those in positions of power who can’t get their heads out of their asses.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

How on Earth would firing Gus in any way tarnish Auburn's image? Every year plenty of schools fire coaches. How is this any different? Do those schools tarnish their image as well.

It’s not about firing the coach that I am referring to.  It is the statement that Auburn fans aren’t willing to do anything other than be complacent.  And those that donate to the school, (I am included) do so with the expectation that all decisions are made keeping the integrity of the school in mind.

And my original statement was only directed at those that only see Auburn for its athletics, and that is true.  I do not include you, or @nixtosanders94 in that sentiment. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

It’s not about firing the coach that I am referring to.  It is the statement that Auburn fans aren’t willing to do anything other than be complacent.  And those that donate to the school, (I am included) do so with the expectation that all decisions are made keeping the integrity of the school in mind.

And my original statement was only directed at those that only see Auburn for its athletics, and that is true.  I do not include you, or @nixtosanders94 in that sentiment. 

If you actually believe that those folks make decisions with the integrity of the school in mind I got some beachfront property in Montana for ya.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

...too lazy to do anything to be successful.  

Not lazy. Fearful may be a better descriptor.

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

If you actually believe that those folks make decisions with the integrity of the school in mind I got some beachfront property in Montana for ya.

I do yes and I know some of them personally.  I have been very fortunate to have some of them as clients of mine.  

Just now, bigbird said:

Not lazy. Fearful may be a better descriptor.

That is fair and a better way of wording it.  I can live with that. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

I do yes and I know some of them personally.  I have been very fortunate to have some of them as clients of mine.  

Then they should want better for their institution than Gus...

And not worry about a reputation but worry about our student athletes, students, alumni, boosters, fans etc...

If the softball scandal, FBI probe, Jetgate, BBQ boys, Baby Bowdens off field “activities”, Lowder gate, 2 years of probation, Eric Ramsey, Barfield, and at one time being the most penalized team in NCAA history didn’t tarnish the ol rep then I doubt firing Gus will.

14 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

A significant and at times influential portion of people in positions to affect these things don’t really want Auburn football to be ultra successful...they want exactly what Gus is giving them...consistently decent teams, occasionally beating the big teams(very occasionally), go to a bowl and keep the program clean. Thats it. They’re fine with it. They won’t say it, like many on here but its what they feel.

I would have agreed with you right up until Auburn gave Gus that ridiculous contract.  That contract, approved be the BOT, told us that Auburn is ready to take the next step no matter what.  It will be very telling if they retained Gus this year as to how the BOT is thinking now.  The economic thing still may weigh heavy in the decision (again telling).

If Auburn decides it wants to stay elite, they will have to pay elite money to do so.  Tubs earned $3.3 million a year.  We hired Chizik for $1.9 million (now that was the BOT and JJ just being OK with average).  Lightning struck and the picture changed.  We hired Gus for $4.35 million and that showed the BOT was serious.  Before Gus’ contract extension, Gus was making $4.75 million and Auburn went all in with his current contract.  There really is no turning back.

Gus is 15-10 since the extension, a 60% winning percentage, which is less than Auburn’s all time winning percentage (63.1%) and less than Gus’ winning percentage while Auburn’s coach (67%).  One would think being paid elite money the performance would be better.  As always it will be an interesting off season.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is fair and a better way of wording it.  I can live with that. 

This isn't directed to you necessarily. For me, the fear of relegation outweighs the fear of failure.

14 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

It’s more like:

competition from Georgia and Bama

That’ll about do it, if you wanna be real and cut the BS

You serious Clark?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would have agreed with you right up until Auburn gave Gus that ridiculous contract.  That contract, approved be the BOT, told us that Auburn is ready to take the next step no matter what.  It will be very telling if they retained Gus this year as to how the BOT is thinking now.  The economic thing still may weigh heavy in the decision (again telling).

If Auburn decides it wants to stay elite, they will have to pay elite money to do so.  Tubs earned $3.3 million a year.  We hired Chizik for $1.9 million (now that was the BOT and JJ just being OK with average).  Lightning struck and the picture changed.  We hired Gus for $4.35 million and that showed the BOT was serious.  Before Gus’ contract extension, Gus was making $4.75 million and Auburn went all in with his current contract.  There really is no turning back.

Gus is 15-10 since the extension, a 60% winning percentage, which is less than Auburn’s all time winning percentage (63.1%) and less than Gus’ winning percentage while Auburn’s coach (67%).  One would think being paid elite money the performance would be better.  As always it will be an interesting off season.

But we’re not elite. Haven’t been for most of our history except small pockets of ultra successful seasons. And I look at the board approving Gus’s ridiculous contract as proof they don’t want to win big.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So, your the one that helped change the narrative to keeping Gus.  It makes sense now.  :poke:

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, your the one that helped change the narrative to keeping Gus.  It makes sense now.  :poke:

Nope, I was the one who made sure they kept the sex-appeal of the University.  That’s why they kept my engagement agreement, due to my dashing good looks!  😂

11 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

But we’re not elite. Haven’t been for most of our history except small pockets of ultra successful seasons. And I look at the board approving Gus’s ridiculous contract as proof they don’t want to win big.

To the bolded part, how so?  To move to elite you have to make steps, to me Auburn has upped the salaries of our coaches exponentially since we got a taste of the National Championship.  Gus’ contract, even though is was signed by a rookie President with little or no advise from any AD, proved the BOT was serious not to lose a well thought of coach.  It was an attempt to secure our future and we all know *our future is bright*.

What occurs next will tell if we step back or make a further step into elite.

Archived