The Irony Bowl

Zeek

What an exciting game and there's so many different things to break down. Originally, I was going to write this like and article but for discussion sake it'll be easier to make this a list addressing the many different players playing key roles in this victory. Personally, after looking at the drive charts and box scores this game really seems like it should be dubbed "The Irony Bowl" for the chaos and wonkiness.

• Bo Nix - Going 15/30 is nothing to champion but it's on par with what Bo has been able to do against top tier SEC competition this season. Honestly, it's all that we needed him to do. One of my favorite statistics I saw through hours of Twitter rejoicing was that Bo had 7 touchdowns in 7 home games and ZERO interceptions. Not to mention he didn't fumble the ball once despite carrying the ball 6 times for 44 yards and a touchdown. 217 total yards, two scores, and no turnovers is exactly what the doctor ordered from a true freshman quarterback in the Iron Bowl. The irony here comes from all the trash talk Bo has received from the Turds and even some of you Barners and he still outperformed Mac Jones (who had a better OL and WR core with a better offensive scheme as well). Still, some will argue Mac had a better day but I refuse to accept that considering he threw two Auburn touchdown passes.
  • Boobee Whitlow - For all the talk of Najee Harris and how great he is, we see yet another Iron Bowl where an Auburn running back outshined his rival. Harris had more yards and a touchdown but Boobee had the higher average with much smaller holes to work his way through. Boobee might not have been as flashy or even as physical but he did a better and more consistent job of keeping Auburn in a position to move the chains and ultimately win the game.
  • Worm Shivers - The smallest guy on the field delivered the biggest hit. This moment was perfect (though confusing it was his only touch). After last year where Shiv was denied a would be touchdown on a tacky holding call it felt amazing seeing him get this score. What's better is that he was trusted with a 3rd and medium play in the red zone at a moment where a field goal wouldn't have been acceptable.
  • Kam Martin - Might be my only gripe from this game. It's absolutely atrocious that, in his final Iron Bowl, he didn't receive a single carry. Maybe there is more to the story than I'm aware of but this seems like a horrendous oversight. Still wish he would have gone to an AAC school or somewhere he could have been 'the' guy. Still, I'm thankful for everything he gave this school and I wish him the best for the rest of his life.
  • Seth Williams - I know there are a lot of complaints about Seth being targeted too much but he's one of those guys where even when he's not open he's open. It's awesome that he had more yards than consensus 1st round pick Jerry Jeudy. He didn't score any points but he always makes the catch when we need it the most. Not a fan of his selfish moment when he got flagged but I love that the lifelong Bama fan is a big reason Bama lost this game.
  • Will Hastings - It's ironic that the man who was overthrown a lot this season had one catch which was a pass intended to be thrown away. He got it in the biggest moment and with an NFL type two toe touch. I love white lightning and I respect his journey to this point.
  • Sal Cannella - Another guy who was never a prime focus of our offense but has made some extremely critical plays for this team. Absolutely love that he got to make a spectacular catch in a difficult area of the end zone.
  • Jaylen Waddle - The only reason we didn't win this game by more. He was a single-man wrecking crew. However, he's also the player that helped Auburn seal the win. He stayed on the field while Alabama was confused and substituting which gave us the first down we sorely needed to ice the game. Waddle kept Alabama in this game and he took them out of it.
  • Zakoby McClain - Holy cow this kid is clutch! He hasn't been a major contributor for most of the season. Still, he had 6 solo tackles, 5 assists, and a pick six in the largest game of the year. After a season where we just couldn't finish big plays to the end zone it was so rewarding to see one go all the way! I'm glad we have him and Owen Pappoe for a few more seasons.
  • Smoke Monday - This kid is a baller! He got picked on at times but man he housed that interception and it was never in doubt he was going all the way. Another kid I'm excited to see get more time next year and step into his role.
  • Derrick Brown - What a monster! He was held all night (without a single call surprise surprise) but he came through time and time again. I'm so thankful he came back for another season and he deserves a trip to New York for the Heisman presentation. Whatever NFL team takes him will have a solid anchor in the middle of their defense for years to come. If his son is even close to his talent level when he grows up I hope to see him in orange and blue.
  • Marlon Davidson - I don't think he got many numbers but he's fun to watch bending the edge. He actually lead to a number of false starts by their OL with his quick step and intimidation.
  • The One Second - The epiphany of irony. It's absolutely comical that one of Saban's most famous losses came from him arguing for a second that they realistically shouldn't have been awarded. To have a second loss due, in part, to Auburn receiving a similar second for a similar distance field goal with a similarly struggling kicker but to actually make it was wondrous. His crying at halftime was hilarious considering he had no problem doing the same thing years ago. 
  • The 12th Man - Saban is the reason we have to do this bull crap that has killed the HUNH where you have to patiently wait for a defense to substitute because of some player safety bull crap. So it's also ironic and hilarious that Saban's inability to substitute correctly has nipped him in the butt. Gus didn't expect to catch them with twelve guys (he was doing some weird trick to get Waddle off the field) but it worked and the Gumps have been crying non-stop ever since.

War Damn Eagle and I'm so happy we'll be the reason those pricks don't make it into the playoffs for the first time ever.

• First time Alabama has ever lost when scoring 45 points
  • Only the 8th time Saban has lost with a halftime lead
  • Alabama has never defeated a ranked Auburn in JHS
  • Saban has never beaten a 9+ win Auburn
  • First time Alabama isn't in the CFP
  • First time in a long time both LSU and Auburn beat Alabama in the same season
  • First time Saban has given up 48 points
  • Anders made freaking 4 field goals and I think all were 40+ yards
  • Gus is the only active coach to beat Saban 3 times while he's been at Alabama
  • This century we lead the series 11-9
  • Go to hell Alabama

Archived