Pearl wants J’Von McCormick to be more selfish

aubiefifty

Bruce Pearl wants J’Von McCormick to be more selfish on the court

Posted Dec 05, 2019

3-4 minutes

J’Von McCormick’s unselfish character shows in the way he plays, but now Bruce Pearl needs him to be a little more self-serving.

After seven games, McCormick leads the team with 47 assists, averaging 6.8 assists per game. He set the record for assists in a game when he helped his teammates score 16 times against CSUN. McCormick finds it rewarding to create opportunities for others.

“It’s just exciting seeing my teammates get open shots and build their confidence up,” McCormick said. “I know I’m going to need them later on this season.”

This season, the point guard has developed a special chemistry with Anfernee McLemore and Austin Wiley. They run an effective pick-and-roll. If the defense sticks with McCormick, he dishes it to McLemore or Wiley, both of whom he said have strong finishes. If not, he keeps it for himself and lays it in.

McLemore plays a clean game, too. While running the offense, he’s only committed 18 turnovers. It’s the highest on the team, but considering how often he passes the ball, the percentage is good — McCormick has the second lowest assist-to-turnover ratio in the league.

Now, Pearl wants him to focus on his own opportunities. He’s proven he can create chances for his teammates, but he needs to capitalize on the ones he has.

“There are times when he takes the ball down the lane where I would actually like to see him shooting it than passing it, sometimes,” Pearl said. “Because he can score. He can make a tough two.”

And if he doesn’t make it, Auburn is usually in a good rebounding position on his shots, so it will get a second-chance.

This season, McCormick has scored an average of 8.4 points a game, shooting 34.8 percent from the field. Besides Samir Doughty, McCormick sees the court more than anyone else on the team, and he needs to convert more of those minutes to points. McCormick said he’s being told by Pearl to keep doing what he’s doing but to be more aggressive.

Going forward, Pearl feels McCormick should make his 3-point shot and his defense areas he focuses on for improvement. McCormick is shooting just 24.1 percent from beyond the arc.

“I recognize that the combination of his own personal unselfishness and the ability to play-make for others is something that he really enjoys — and we benefit from,” Pearl said. “I want him to impact the game more defensively, and I want him to impact the game even more with his ability to score.”

When asked, McCormick also added free throw shooting to the list of things to work on. He’s making just 36.4 percent of his free throws, the second lowest percentage on the team.

There are five more games for McCormick to develop these areas before entering SEC play. Auburn is currently ranked No. 14, but it has the toughest part of its schedule ahead of it. McCormick’s next chance to get out on the court will be Thursday night against Furman at 8 p.m. in Auburn Arena.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, aubiefifty said:

Bruce Pearl wants J’Von McCormick to be more selfish on the court

Posted Dec 05, 2019

3-4 minutes

J’Von McCormick’s unselfish character shows in the way he plays, but now Bruce Pearl needs him to be a little more self-serving.

After seven games, McCormick leads the team with 47 assists, averaging 6.8 assists per game. He set the record for assists in a game when he helped his teammates score 16 times against CSUN. McCormick finds it rewarding to create opportunities for others.

“It’s just exciting seeing my teammates get open shots and build their confidence up,” McCormick said. “I know I’m going to need them later on this season.”

This season, the point guard has developed a special chemistry with Anfernee McLemore and Austin Wiley. They run an effective pick-and-roll. If the defense sticks with McCormick, he dishes it to McLemore or Wiley, both of whom he said have strong finishes. If not, he keeps it for himself and lays it in.

McLemore plays a clean game, too. While running the offense, he’s only committed 18 turnovers. It’s the highest on the team, but considering how often he passes the ball, the percentage is good — McCormick has .”

And if he doesn’t make it, Auburn is usually in a good rebounding position on his shots, so it will get a second-chance.

This season, McCormick has scored an average of 8.4 points a game, shooting 34.8 percent from the field. Besides Samir Doughty, McCormick sees the court more than anyone else on the team, and he needs to convert more of those minutes to points. McCormick said he’s being told by Pearl to keep doing what he’s doing but to be more aggressive.

When asked, McCormick also added free throw shooting to the list of things to work on. He’s making just 36.4 percent of his free throws, the second lowest percentage on the team.

I have missed a few games, I didn't realize he was shooting this poorly from the line. 

26 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I have missed a few games, I didn't realize he was shooting this poorly from the line. 

Mc in his role needs to be at least 75% from the line....prefer in the 80 range.  ...Harper and Brown were both over 80% and made teams pay for fouling them late in a game.

I really want our guys to reach their potential and be successful. I have to admit though..... I kinda wish Davion Mitchell was still here.

I think he needs to score more, but I dont know if him being more selfish would necessarily be the answer to that, at least not in a positive way. He just isn't a great shooter from anywhere, and I don't know if he's a crafty enough finisher (nor is the spacing good enough in college) to drive 24/7. I do think he's good at driving though, and I think a consistent drive and kick threat would be nice

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he needs to score more, but I dont know if him being more selfish would necessarily be the answer to that, at least not in a positive way. He just isn't a great shooter from anywhere, and I don't know if he's a crafty enough finisher (nor is the spacing good enough in college) to drive 24/7. I do think he's good at driving though, and I think a consistent drive and kick threat would be nice

If he isn't a great shooter and he doesn't finish well how could he be good at driving and kicking? Think. Actually nevermind keep posting! 💡

6 hours ago, fredst said:

I really want our guys to reach their potential and be successful. I have to admit though..... I kinda wish Davion Mitchell was still here.

In my opinion, AU would've been bounced in the first round of the tournament if Mitchell was still here. 

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If he isn't a great shooter and he doesn't finish well how could he be good at driving and kicking? Think. Actually nevermind keep posting! 💡

Derrick Rose in his prime wasn't a good shooter and could drive and kick, and he played in a worse spacing offense than ours.

I dont think Jvon is bad at finishing, I just said he isn't good enough to allow him to drive 24/7. He's still good enough to cause collapses from the defense.

All this time you spend crafting out P.Ses to your predictions, try doing more to craft out a real point lol

35 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

In my opinion, AU would've been bounced in the first round of the tournament if Mitchell was still here. 

I think Jvon ended up being what Auburn needed. He gave us that slashing threat that not enough people were willing to do last year, could give instant offense for when Jared was cold, when his job was do you, he did him. His main problem this year has been figuring out how to be both a creator and a scorer, especially when it comes to scoring from outside. I feel like these are problems we would've eventually ran into with Davion too.

Not going to say who would've been better or worse, but neither bring the shooting which is the one element that we havent come close to replicating from last season

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Derrick Rose in his prime wasn't a good shooter and could drive and kick, and he played in a worse spacing offense than ours.

I dont think Jvon is bad at finishing, I just said he isn't good enough to allow him to drive 24/7. He's still good enough to cause collapses from the defense.

All this time you spend crafting out P.Ses to your predictions, try doing more to craft out a real point lol

Lol, then you post something like this and you're proud!

First you can be a good shooter just not a good long distance shooter. Rose has ALWAYS been a good mid range shooter. 

Second you picked Derrick Rose to try to make that stupid point, the most athletic point guard ever......to compare and say jvon could do the same thing. Do you need someone to really explain to you how ridiculous that is? Yeah I imagine rose being faster and more explosive than everybody on earth has a little something to do with that.....what do you think? 

Lastly what does your last paragraph even mean? You say the wildest stuff and you don't ever make any sense but try to pretend you are on a different level with the stuff you say lol. Don't ever try to correct anybody on here again. Everyday I get on here I have a notification about a reaction from you....told you a while ago don't interact with me. You make my head hurt reading your stuff

9 hours ago, fredst said:

We would've won a title probably. And we would be the best defensive team in the sec and maybe country right now. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

We would've won a title probably. And we would be the best defensive team in the sec and maybe country right now. 

THANK YOU. Mitchell was a tough on-ball defender and had a good all-around game. Wish he would have stuck it out and waited on his time at AU but he’s starting for a top 15 team now so I guess it worked out for him.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

who quoted who first again? You know what to do if you don’t want to read my post goofy

I literally said notification.....you're really not smart.....just stop talking to me bro

On 12/8/2019 at 1:19 AM, cole256 said:

On 12/8/2019 at 6:55 AM, fredst said:

THANK YOU. Mitchell was a tough on-ball defender and had a good all-around game. Wish he would have stuck it out and waited on his time at AU but he’s starting for a top 15 team now so I guess it worked out for him.

I don't think we had enough info on Mitchell to make these large conclusions. J'von helped us in several games down the stretch when Harper struggled. Go take a look at his stats with Baylor, nothing on that stat sheet indicates a championship maker. Below average shooter, average ball handler, good defender. Wish the kid the best and certainly liked aspects of his game, but certainly wouldn't spend any time dreaming of having him back. 

To @cole256's point, J'von hasn't been great at kick outs and hasn't been great at finishing. I think, like Harper, his size will be a challenge for him to finish contested buckets at the rim. So I'd like for him to shoot more floaters and/or pull up mid-range shots. I don't think we know if he has that in his arsenal, and if he doesn't he should keep his dribble alive more often and dribble a curl back out to move the defense and look to pass. His perimeter passing has been pretty good with 50+ assists so far, but his drives have not been as productive as they could be.  

One think I would like to see him and all of our guards do is use their dribble to create better passing lanes when we do have someone posting up. A short drive to the left or right can create a much better passing lane, while also giving the defense a threat to react to. Would help Wiley out a lot if they could do this. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So you got that notification, responded to me with your on brand stupidity and arrogance, and thought I wouldn’t reply? If I’m not smart, what does all this make you?

You can do alot of things...you shouldn't EVER call anybody stupid.....ever. You'll lose that race every time. You did your big grandstanding post did a while back and since then you're still saying my name and interacting.....just stop

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

“Ah gee, I really don’t want this guy to interact with me, but I’m still gonna repeat the same thing in a marginally different way to him. That’ll show him!” 

Just stop

47 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Come on guys stop the back and forth....waste of time for all.

My apologies to everyone else reading this thread, I certainly didnt intend on giving that fella 1 post much less a whole page. My b 

Maybe some of this aggressiveness will run off on J’von. 

Archived