Men vs NC State Game Thread

Maverick.AU

First off, living in Raleigh this was a big win for me personally and I can finally wash the stink off of attending the NC State game last year. Also I hate Markell Johnson. And that is the highest of compliments. He is a stud. Outside of that this was a damn good win for us. It was back and forth the whole way against an ACC team. We got to see our guys against similar athletes finally and we got the W in a tight battle the whole way. I also loved how chippy the game was. It was a fun game to watch.

Austin Wiley -- PUT SOME RESPECT ON HIS NAME, HE IS A DAMN GAME CHANGER

Samir Doughty - wow has this kid improved or what? He has always shined against mid-majors but he led us in scoring on 50% shooting last night and had a huuuuuge bucket late. He is playing like a senior leader. I loved that he was able to play well against higher level talent. 5 turnovers needs to come down but he gave us offense when we needed it. His herky jerky game doesn't look like it would inspire confidence but the kid has been balling out.

Okoro -- he played pretty well, but would love to see him develop some more weapons to his offensive game. I get it's only his 10th game and this was the first time he got a taste of playing against Power 5 competition. He is aggressive and I love it...FTs though need work, which could go for the entire team.

J'Von was solid. He had a steady game and was a nice source of offense for us. I liked seeing that against the level of competition we faced last night. He is coming along. He had a better night shooting FTs too. 66% is a big improvement from an obscene 26%.

Danjel -- clock is ticking on him offensively IMO. 10 games in and he hasn't really found himself yet as the team figures itself out. He can be a big factor for us but he really hasn't been. I loved his aggressiveness on the boards though. He was 2nd in rebs for us last night. He had one play where he got the offensive rebound and took it straight up aggressively and got fouled. We need that type of energy all the time from him I loved seeing that. Also I'd say he probably played one of the better defensive games of his career last night.

Bench wise, Jamal Johnson gave us a big 8 points. I said earlier when he's not hitting his 3s he's kinda giving us empty minutes but last night he was a factor. I hope he can continue playing like this. Cambridge, only played a few minutes and was invisible during them. That's part of the freshman journey. Al Flan is a very aggressive offensive player and I love it and as he gets older that aggressiveness will be channeled properly. What I loved the most was his moment with the NCSU guard where the double tech was called. That is the type of "we will not take any crap from anyone" vibe I was wondering about in the off-season. The Malik Dunbar factor. I love seeing Al Flan not backing down. I want more of it. I also like Samir talking a lot of crap -- in a game he's playing well in of course. And Mac was doing Mac things. Making other bigs respect his 3 ball and working the glass. I do think Wiley deserved more minutes than him last night though.

Very happy about this win!!!! Big time win against an ACC program that is built to compete in that tough conference. I freakin love it. We are a work in progress and our defense will keep us in most games while our offense struggles. FTs will eventually catch up to us but it hasn't yet. This was a great win. We have a team and these battles are going to help us down the road.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

😁  could be but I was happy that he did not try to dominate the broadcast and let the game be the focus.  It was bad enough when they kept splitting the screen with half of the picture on the game and the other half of the two announcers chatting about ?.....nothing important....

Split screen = irritating

Mic clipping = irritating

"freshman, toughest schedule"= irritating

He's just an awkward guy and I'm conditioned now to nit-pick so readily but hey........things aren't really bad right now in any Auburn sport. 

"…...things aren't really bad right now in any Auburn sport. "

Don't take this as a criticism but have you looked at our Volleyball record last year?  We are looking for a new coach currently.  Jury out on WBB.  I suppose what we consider the "major" sports are doing fairly well or on upswing.  

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

This was a great game that shows exactly what I've been saying from the beginning.....even when Wiley wasn't doing the 30 pt and 20 rebounds thing that people feel like is the only to say he's productive, in this game it was obvious how our team plays with him in the game as opposed to without him. 

He's the catalyst to us winning big games period. We can be a good time without him but we can't be an elite team without him. It was also a great game to show his defensive presence and how him being out there disrupts a team. Our guards got worked out this game though. We're still are having to improve on defense. Great win, we're ahead of schedule, I'm just praying one of our guards taps into something and develops an iso game that's efficient and then we'll have all pieces needed.

Bingo. Wiley appears to be learning how to stay out of foul trouble, allowing him to play more minutes. He needs to be on the floor as much as possible.

I listened to CBP after the game and he said AW scored a +26 on his game evaluation, which he said was "an absurd number"....I thought he played well, and I don't know what all goes into the evaluation score, but it was obviously one of his best games this season

9 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I listened to CBP after the game and he said AW scored a +26 on his game evaluation, which he said was "an absurd number"....I thought he played well, and I don't know what all goes into the evaluation score, but it was obviously one of his best games this season

It means that our team scored 26 more points than our opponent during the time that Wiley was on the floor.  It’s a good stat for indicating how a player can impact games in the not-so-obvious areas.  Even if a guy doesn’t score a bunch of points or get a double-double every game, he can still have a lot of influence on how the team as a whole plays.  With Austin, you can see how he impacts the game around the basket - especially on defense.  I found myself a little less nervous watching the game last night when Austin was out there.

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

It means that our team scored 26 more points than our opponent during the time that Wiley was on the floor.  It’s a good stat for indicating how a player can impact games in the not-so-obvious areas.  Even if a guy doesn’t score a bunch of points or get a double-double every game, he can still have a lot of influence on how the team as a whole plays.  With Austin, you can see how he impacts the game around the basket - especially on defense.  I found myself a little less nervous watching the game last night when Austin was out there.

There was a point in the game where I didn't want Wiley to come out. Mac had a really bad game on the defensive side of the ball. I think he ended up with a -20. I'm not sure why Wiley only got 19 minutes when he was never in foul trouble. Only thing I can think of is Coach Pearl doesn't want Wiley to get injured.

7 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

There was a point in the game where I didn't want Wiley to come out. Mac had a really bad game on the defensive side of the ball. I think he ended up with a -20. I'm not sure why Wiley only got 19 minutes when he was never in foul trouble. Only thing I can think of is Coach Pearl doesn't want Wiley to get injured.

The season is a marathon, not a sprint.  Perhaps Pearl doesn’t want to overuse him so that he’s not worn out later in he season.  Still, he should play more than 19 minutes as long as he’s healthy and not in foul trouble.

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

The season is a marathon, not a sprint.  Perhaps Pearl doesn’t want to overuse him so that he’s not worn out later in he season.  Still, he should play more than 19 minutes as long as he’s healthy and not in foul trouble.

That is strange to only play him less than even a half. ANd without foul trouble. I don't buy the overusing him reasoning as this is the time to build their strength and endurance before they get to the rugged SEC grind...

Unless it was a matchup thing...not sure why Pearl used him this way. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Men vs NC State Game Thread

Archived