Barbee

AUApostle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda wonder if no schools have come calling for Barbee as HC bc of his terrible record at AU or his reputation at AU making the rounds? He must have done something not terrible at UTEP to steer them to a tourney berth. Yet there he is sitting there like a dapper team manager next to Cal for the past 5 years.

I forgot about Barbee a long time ago.  With that said I see nothing wrong with BB fans giving him an ear full of BS.   It's some what similar to giving an ump a hard time at a baseball game.

Dude is a douche bag, or at least comes off as one. He’s not my enemy nor do I hate him, that’s a silly thought not worthy of discussion. He is however an asshat, and will continue to get hounded everytime he comes here because thousands and thousands of people obviously feel the same way. 

51 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

I don’t follow bb close, where can I read about what happened after he was fired? 

He was an a-hole to Auburn when we got blown out of the tournament in 2018 with his little smart-a emoji. Here's a link that will give you some good info on it and his record here...https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2018/03/tony_barbee_auburn_tweet.html

Hope this helps.

Had high hopes for him coming in, but he not only disappointed, he took the program to new lows.  I hope the more success Pearl has at Auburn the more his departure stings...and his losses to Auburn continue.

9 hours ago, saminbama said:

Hey AUDevil, what "possessed" you to come up with this name?

Started this handle back in the late 90's on the ITAT boards when I was in college...was more of a pot stirrer back in those days.

My thoughts on Barbee can best be summed up as follows: "You guys bring the tar and i'll bring the feathers!!"

Total and complete douche bag......

I don't hate the man necessarily, but i also know why he catches so much deserving flak. 

One simple example is him taking to Twitter to post a laughing emoji after Auburn lost to Clemson in the tourney in 2018.

The dude is overly arrogant with absolutely zero resume to backup his ego. For a guy to complain about his office chairs while in AU, you'd think he had won more Championships than all the blue bloods combined. Instead, he's tripping on the coat tail of Cal to seem relevant. 

All that said, I do respect your view. It's probably similar to my cringe every time I hear "Sit down! You suck!" (but let's stay on topic lol)

anyone think the barb was part of the reason kentucky came out playing physical like they did? it just seemed like kentucky fouled us more than normal. there were some hits i thought wer kinda dirty and not necessary.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

anyone think the barb was part of the reason kentucky came out playing physical like they did? it just seemed like kentucky fouled us more than normal. there were some hits i thought wer kinda dirty and not necessary.

No disrespect fifty but I don't give a flying crap if he was.......part of your answer is we were playing very physical from start to finish

As long as it remains good natured I'm all for the trash talk of opposing teams, players and coaches. So some take it too far? Sure, but most don't. To answer the OP question, it will be over and AU will move on more and more each season. He took over a struggling program and somehow managed to nearly bury it alive. 

I do however, want to add that I think at this point we have so much to point to in terms of success, that I would expect the barbee stuff to fade sooner than later. 

I just want Barbee to see every time he walks into Auburn Arena what he could have had in our program. Bruce has thanked Auburn and the Good Lord at every turn for the chance we took on him. Bruce loves Auburn for that and we love him back for giving us the program we've always wanted. Auburn could never have the program that we have currently if not for a few things to have happened when they did.  We needed a coach that could coach his tail off and also recruit the biggest names.  The "up and coming" approach has not worked.  The "great assistant at power program" has not worked. Frankly, the powers that be would not spend the kind of money it would take to bring in a current head coach from a blue blood program with the name recognition we need to recruit.  Where did that leave us? BP didn't have any other shots at a major program with a "show cause" hanging over him. We took a chance on BP and he has done nothing but work his tail off for Auburn University.  I read a Sports Illustrated article years and years ago after he got to Tennessee and did the whole body painting thing for the Women's Basketball game.  I thought what a guy and how I'd love for Auburn to have a coach like that.  Never in a million years would I have thought we would have BP, but I thank my lucky stars every week that we do.  War Damn Eagle!

Tony Barbee didnt even show up for his own "Tony Barbee Elite Camps" at Auburn. The one time he did was to watch Shaq Thompson, who fouled out with 5 minutes left. Barbee convinced the refs to let him back in because it was "his camp and (he) wanted to see him play." He was completely unapproachable, self centered, and lazy in certain job aspects. He blamed Auburn for his own shortcomings and did everything he could short of NCAA trouble to kill the program. He won't be remembered as a "Barfield Years" of basketball because Barfield carried himself like an adult. I dont hate him by any means, but it doesnt hurt my feelings that he isnt welcomed back to Auburn Arena with open arms

Pulled incoming freshman Heath Houston's scholarship (not offer) as one of his first actions in the spring of '10 and didn't even notify the kid directly.  His high school coach found out from the Marquette coaches that had been tipped off by Barbee.  It only went downhill from there.

4 hours ago, Britt in GA said:

I just want Barbee to see every time he walks into Auburn Arena what he could have had in our program. Bruce has thanked Auburn and the Good Lord at every turn for the chance we took on him. Bruce loves Auburn for that and we love him back for giving us the program we've always wanted. Auburn could never have the program that we have currently if not for a few things to have happened when they did.  We needed a coach that could coach his tail off and also recruit the biggest names.  The "up and coming" approach has not worked.  The "great assistant at power program" has not worked. Frankly, the powers that be would not spend the kind of money it would take to bring in a current head coach from a blue blood program with the name recognition we need to recruit.  Where did that leave us? BP didn't have any other shots at a major program with a "show cause" hanging over him. We took a chance on BP and he has done nothing but work his tail off for Auburn University.  I read a Sports Illustrated article years and years ago after he got to Tennessee and did the whole body painting thing for the Women's Basketball game.  I thought what a guy and how I'd love for Auburn to have a coach like that.  Never in a million years would I have thought we would have BP, but I thank my lucky stars every week that we do.  War Damn Eagle!

Honestly, I don't think Barbee has it in him to do what Bruce Pearl has been able to do at Auburn.  And that's not really a slight against Barbee.  Few coaches could have come into Auburn in the state it was in and accomplished what Bruce has accomplished. 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, AUDevil said:

How long are our fans going to continue to torment this man?  At what point will we let it go, act like bigger people, and move on?

At what point are our fans going to stop starting threads on him every so often? The man is long gone & scum. He's not worth the internet space we are taking up to talk about him.

Archived